Possible light expedition vehicle,the Audi A6 Allroad

Redrock

Observer
They're bringing the A4-based allroad to the US, but I wouldn't touch either one for anything but going skiing and daily driver duty. A delicate, expensive, not hugely reliable $60k German luxury car is not something I'd take anywhere I couldn't get a quick tow to a nearby Audi dealer.

I think the definition of "expedition vehicle" is getting muddied around here.

Viggen

Just here...
I took my old C5 A6 allroad through the mud and snow quite a bit. Handled it all perfectly. I sold it because of the inherent C5 electrical problems. The new one is supposed to be better. The "allroad" available in the States now is just an A4 avant with flares. The overall height is the same as the early 2000s A4 Avant. So, really it just seems to be riding at the original ride height again.

IMG_2859_2.JPG

As for the term being muddied, around here, everything is 'expedition.' The Dodge Caravan is the perfect supermarket 'expedition' vehicle, etc...

Viggen

Just here...
I did. A lot. It hit harder trails than a lot of the built trucks on this site have, thats for sure. If youve never drive a Torsen AWD system in an Audi in mud or snow, or both as I did a few times, you are in for a big surprise (spend some time in YouTube). It does better than a lot of 4wd trucks. With an LSD, even better. That picture above is after going hub deep in WVa mud. They are over built (with typical VAG electrical issues but not enough to not limp you home).

Last edited:

psykokid

Explorer
I've got the poor man's C5 A6 allroad - B5 Passat Wagon 4-Motion. We used to take it out to all sorts of places in BFE. Did great, just had to go pretty slow over rocky bits. When we were camping up near Lassen National Park we went out on a few fire roads that had some washouts here and there. Made it through just fine. Told my wife's Aunt and Uncle that live up there where we went and they were like what? You took it there, and made it? :)

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
The Audi Allroad was, I think, the first car-based platform to complete a Range Rover test course. Its ability off-road is underrated.

Just don't think about maintaining it, or worse, fixing it.

mancub920

Coworker of mine had one, got it stuck in some sloppy stuff pretty quickly, then sold for a Subaru because it needed an air suspension compressor. He missed the 8 level heated seats, he said, and not much else.

Dake21

Adventurer
I've got the poor man's C5 A6 allroad - B5 Passat Wagon 4-Motion. We used to take it out to all sorts of places in BFE. Did great, just had to go pretty slow over rocky bits. When we were camping up near Lassen National Park we went out on a few fire roads that had some washouts here and there. Made it through just fine. Told my wife's Aunt and Uncle that live up there where we went and they were like what? You took it there, and made it? :)

Thats what I like about having an underdog vehicle. You always get that reaction. "you took it there??". Yep I did. I do my preventive maintenance and I can tell you all looks good too.

Applejack

Explorer
They are nice cars and they are capable cars but the elephant in the room is that it's an Audi and it's unreliable. Trust me, I had an on/off love/hate relationship with an '07 RS4. IMO when choosing an expo/adv. platform, even light duty, reliability should be the foundation to build off of and they is no way I would choose any Audi for that, I wish it weren't so, because they are so nice to drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles