NooB seeking trailer guidance...

john_the_bruce

Hello all.

Complete NOOB here. Been lurking here for a few days trying to figure out what type of pop-up trailer to pursue. My wife and I are campers, but haven't camped since starting our family a few years ago. Children are ages 6, 4 and 2 as we're planning to do a cross country trek in a few years. The trailer would be used cross country and for expedition type camping before and after.

Most of the trailer's I've researched that are the true off-road type seem to be limited in space. Ideally, we'd be looking for a trailer that can comfortable sleep 5 and be pretty much ready to go when it comes to cooking and food preparation. The Kimberly Karavan looks nice and up for the job, but with only 1 queen sized sleeping area, it might be tight for 2 adults and 3 growing children. Same story for the Adventure Trailors.

The Jayco Baja series looks to be a nice “main-stream” unit but posters here say it's not durable enough for the long haul.

Our tow vehicle is a 2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali (AWD, unfortunately) Although we would consider switching to a regular Yukon XL with the 6.0 and 4WD so we can lift it. Although I'm running 17 inch BFG Mud Terrain KM2's on it, I'm not a big AWD fan for off-road adventuring. Maybe someone else's experience has varied; if so let me know!

Thanks,
-John

max.powerzz

Observer
I would think one of the Jumping jack trailers they sell at costco would go just about anywhere your rig would go, or the jayco. Now if you upgrade to a 4x4 with lift and larger tires then it depends how aggressive you want to be on the trail, you can get an AT and just get a larger RTT or put cots in an attached sleeping vestibule. Kimberly Kampers are awesome and the best of both worlds, but they are spendy. You could also split the fam and put one rtt on your rig and another on an off road trailer Aussie style.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Hello all.

Complete NOOB here. Been lurking here for a few days trying to figure out what type of pop-up trailer to pursue. My wife and I are campers, but haven't camped since starting our family a few years ago. Children are ages 6, 4 and 2 as we're planning to do a cross country trek in a few years. The trailer would be used cross country and for expedition type camping before and after.

Most of the trailer's I've researched that are the true off-road type seem to be limited in space. Ideally, we'd be looking for a trailer that can comfortable sleep 5 and be pretty much ready to go when it comes to cooking and food preparation. The Kimberly Karavan looks nice and up for the job, but with only 1 queen sized sleeping area, it might be tight for 2 adults and 3 growing children. Same story for the Adventure Trailors.

The Jayco Baja series looks to be a nice “main-stream” unit but posters here say it's not durable enough for the long haul.

Our tow vehicle is a 2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali (AWD, unfortunately) Although we would consider switching to a regular Yukon XL with the 6.0 and 4WD so we can lift it. Although I'm running 17 inch BFG Mud Terrain KM2's on it, I'm not a big AWD fan for off-road adventuring. Maybe someone else's experience has varied; if so let me know!

Thanks,
-John

Have a look at this:
Xplorer front 3-4 open-1 copy.jpg
Jurgens Xplorer - 1 queen size bed in the back, and 1 queen size in the the front. Full kitchen, on-board water heater and electrical system and off-road built from the ground up. 2500lbs and priced at around $40,000. A lot less money than a Karavan, and while the Karavan is just a beast off-road, the Xplorer would be far more capable than any of your plans it sounds.

Xplorer Layout 3:4.jpgXplorer interior 1 copy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior