Doubleback camping slideout for VW vans

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Wow. :Wow1:

Too cool. I keep looking at my rear side window thinking it would be cool to make a slide out so my wife and kid could both sleep sideways downstairs while i get the upper bunk all to myself...leaves mroe open space for manuevering in the main area, but DoubleBack has that coverred!.

The VW's are nice too because of the increased floor to head room over the Astro. It's a great looking body too, looks near to what the Astro may have evolved into also.

Of course, I'm curious about cost and weight (as if vans don't wobble enough on the trail). I'm sure that what it lacks in affordability, it more than makes up for in weight gain. :ylsmoke:

Thanks for the heads up.

arlon

Adventurer
That is pretty clever way to add some inside space to a van! Some plywood a few screws and a few years work and you'd have it!

jgolden

Adventurer
Cool Van and concept.
IMO, The problem with these types of rigs is the cost. The one off, super trick, custom setups never seem to go anywhere.
The great thing is these ideas push the limits of "normal" applications and in turn raise the bar for all brands / builders.

syncrodoka

Adventurer
"A brand new DoubleBack based on the excellent VW Transporter 2.0TDI 140PS Long Wheelbase costs £54,950 on the road."

At about $86k it makes a sportsmobile sound cheap.:Wow1:

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
"A brand new DoubleBack based on the excellent VW Transporter 2.0TDI 140PS Long Wheelbase costs £54,950 on the road."

At about $86k it makes a fully pimped sportsmobile sound cheap.:Wow1:

Yeeow. That's not including an offroad package?

To each his own, of course, but personally, for that kind of money, I'd prefer my van, a used '07 Z06 Corvette, a fully restored '70 Dodge Charger, a used 2009 Gas Gas EC 300, and about $5000 to use for a garage addition.

But it is a kickass van and an A + for creativity.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I don't even think these are available here in the states, just figured some of the builders here on the forum could pull some ideas from this. It's pretty ingenious and I haven't seen any other builders taking this route yet

dankine

Pop out

Like it or not... I like and apreciate watching good craftsmanship and ingeniusity. :clapsmile

Dan

haven

Expedition Leader
Doubleback is a Welsh company that converts current VW Transporter vans into campers using a popup roof and an interesting slideout rear section. http://www.doubleback.co.uk/
doubleback.jpg

The bed folds up, leaving open space when the slideout is pulled into the van. So the van can carry stuff while driving.
doubleback-plan.jpg

An electric motor extends and retracts the slideout section. The slide adds about 300 lb to the weight of the vehicle.

Doubleback charges about $90,000 for a camper, including the VW Transporter. If you prefer, they will convert your van.

Autoblog has a photo gallery http://www.autoblog.com/photos/doubleback-volkswagen-transporter-conversion-camper/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles