Truck buying opinions

MTDewX8

Observer
I am looking at trucks. I would like to do a slide in camper for now, but having trouble deciding on plat form.

I have found a 97 stroke, with a 5spd extra cab long bed, 294k miles. drives good and over all truck is in good condition (surprisingly).

#2 is a 00 crew cab with a flat bed dually, 6 spd and 144k miles. both have there flaws. (dually isn't neccisary either)
as long as they have been taken care of, but maint. cost can suck cause everything is heavy duty.

I prefer a hard side campers cause the pop ups are nice, but not as warm and protected (I think)

the reason why I want the ability to have a slid in camper is timing or lack there of to build something.

dont need a diesel, and also slightly hesitant cause I hope to spend some time in Alaska exploring and cold starts with out plug in can suck too.

any recomondations would be greatly appriciated.

the bad is I am selling my 4runner to fund this. great rig, but I need more room cause I might be living in the camper part time or longer.
also I have no funds cause I am about to graduate and spend it getting to this point.

as I read and search the threads I am just amazed and what other folks have built. love it.

thanks ahead of time.

Last edited:

Revco

Adventurer
The '97 will have the Dual Mass Flywheel, which is a common problem area. If it hasn't been converted to a solid flywheel, get ready to shell out around a grand to cover the cost of the clutch and flywheel, not including the labor...don't ak how I know that. The mileage is pretty high, so you better be ready for problems... Injectors, HPOP, along with worn suspension, chassis, and driveline components. Overall they are solid trucks, but at that mileage, it had better be a smoking deal.

The '00 I'm assuming has the 7.3 as well. A refined engine injection/oiling system over the '97, much more power, and some of the early '99s had some issues, but they were sorted out by '00. The 6spd is nice and easy to shift. The mileage is excellent for a 12 year old 7.3. You can always convert it to a SRW if you don't need the dually. The dually is nice for towing stability and traction, but not nice for narrow trails.

Maintenance costs on either truck will be slightly higher than your typical half-ton or smaller truck/suv...but the parts are heavy duty, and generally last longer than the light duty part on the smaller trucks.

Cold starting will be an issue on most any diesel engine, but there's lots of ways to improve cold starts and plenty of ways to supply power to the block heater even in remote locations, ie: generator, solar power, etc.

There's tons of info out there on Powerstrokes...my comments are just personal experiences with the '96 7.3 Powerstroke I had and an '01 7.3 Powerstroke work truck I was issued a few years ago.

MTDewX8

Observer
thanks for your reply.
the 97 just had a new clutch put in. all work was done by dealer over the course of its life. actually I was surpsised how well it drove for how many miles it has. even quieter than the 00.

yes the 00 is a 7.3 just a lot of truck being a crew cab but that is ok. I owned one for 3 years burning SVO. loved having a big hybrid messing with the small prius drivers and not having to buy diesel for many miles.

not aginst the dually just not really needed and yes I am aware of the switch to single, I am just worried about getting a camper on the flat bed, having a bed would be easier It think.

I know or at least think having a diesel will give me better range than a gasser.
the 00 I might even be able to swap my 00 runner for the 00 dually. not a fair trade, but in my favor.

just with diesel prices on the rise sure makes me think about getting one again.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Whoa, you said "living in part time". That makes me jump towards a CrewCab Dually every time. And a truck that big prefers a diesel. Big weight difference between packing up for the week end, and living in the truck for any length of time. And duallys rule for larger campers assuming you're ok with 285/75 size tires or less. So how heavy are we talking?

I love my ex cab longbed, but I use it for weekend getaways and hauling bikes. The crewcabs are way better for living in and longer distance trips. Wheelbase=smoother ride as well.

I'd get a 2000-2001 CC LB Diesel. If you pack light, and don't overdo it on camper size, the SRW is fine.

MTDewX8

Observer
well when I say living in it part time. meaning I am moving out of the girl friends house. so the camper would be home for about 6 months till winter. cause winter in MT has the potential to being really cold. also if I make it to AK I would do the same thing. saving $ by not having to pay rent type of thing.

as for campers. dont need a BIG one just a cheap good one. plus the BIG ones cost more. had an awesome deal on a good size one, but was still unsure of my situation. (moving out or not) and not its sold
I like the CC for sure cause I owned one.

I am just trying to figure out the flat bed issue. attempt to put a camper on that, or find a bed to put back on the truck. that whole choices on a very limited budget as I am graduating with my aviation deg. and as anybody knows, anything aviation means $.

or buy neither, keep the runner and find a place to rent (at my age I dont really want room mates) but then again at least then I wont have to be sleeping from parking lot to parking lot. lol

plus with the diesel prices going up. makes one wonder about road trips.

is there much difference between gearing and axles on a Dually or single? or is it just mostly hubs/rims to get the extension?

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If you are worried about fuel prices going to Ak, diesel is the same price as regular unleaded here in BC. Going from MT, most of your driving would be here. If your camper jacks fit around the flat bed, it would be great to whip up a few storage boxes for the sides of the flat bed. Especially if you are living out of it!

Last edited:

MTDewX8

Observer
yeah as I was doing some research and thinking. the bed is 8 to 9 foot. depending on where you measure. and yes its wide to cover the dually wheels.

I dont have a camper yet and that would be a concern for sure. I would want the ability to take off the camper if need be.

was thinking about getting a stock bed for ease. but it would be nice to have the extra storage boxes on the flat bed.

thanks all for your input.

MTDewX8

Observer
I know there are die hard specific guys.
I have owned a power stroke.

what about the dodges? I know the cummings motor is proven. but do they have there ailments? 12V or 24V better?

I know the truck around the cummings can have its issues. and are the manuals better than the auto's.

found one locally that is a 5 speed with 202k miles. driving it this week to check it out since I have never driven one.

just htought I would ask.

riverrat88

Observer
Some of them have an issue with the nut on the 5th speed gear, I don't know much about it but there is a ton of info online.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Revco

Adventurer
12V Cummins are far superior to 24v. No computer, mechanical injection, 20+mpg, etc etc etc. The 96-98 Manual Trans trucks have the most power output of any 94-98 Dodge Cummins. NV4500 transmissions are tough. Yes the 5th gear nut is prone to coming loose, but easily preventable. The "KDP" or "Killer Dowel Pin" is a well known issue on the 12V Cummins, but there are kits out there to prevent the issue, and other ways to solve it cheaply. The early 1998 trucks got the quad cab option and updated interiors, but kept the engine and drivetrain of the '97 year, so they are considered the "Holy Grail" of Dodges. Late '98 got the 24V engines, computers and all that stuff I wouldn't be caught dead with.

The price of 12V Dodges has gone UP in the past couple of years, so finding a good deal is getting tough. People are realizing how dependable these trucks are and the nice low mileage ones out there are fetching a pretty penny. I bought a '97 Dually for $7800 out the door at a Dodge dealer in 2007. 156k miles, 5spd, 2wd, clean, 1 owner trade-in. Sold the truck 3 years later with 216k for $6500, and saw it listed locally a few months ago with 235k for $8000. That was the single most reliable and solid vehicle I have ever owned. I then bought a '94 reg cab 2wd auto with super low miles...I hated the automatic, and was scared it may take a dirt nap at any moment, so that truck was quickly pawned off. I am still looking for another '97 Dually 5spd to use as my hauler.

Personally, I'd never go with an Automatic, unless you have the money to invest in a built transmission, but those cost several thousand dollars. As in any Dodge, the dashed crack all to hell, but there are caps and replacement dashes available. The seats can get worn a little prematurely, so look under aftermarket seat covers if you're checking one out. On 4x4's I know the track bars can be updated to 3rd gen track bars for an improved design. The steering boxes flex on the frames on all 2wd and 4wd trucks, but there are steering stabilizers out there than can really tighten up the front end. Dana 70 and 80 rear axles are bombproof. You can bump up the power of a 12V cheaply and easily. For a couple hundred (or free if you can weld) a big open exhaust will free up some power. "BHAF" air filters (NAPA 2790 Air Filter) will improve fresh air inhalation. Tweaking the injector pump is easy and free if you want to keep it simple, and will net the biggest power increase. Most folks can pump out around 330hp just by tweaking the injector pump. Add some injectors and bigger turbo...you're in the 500hp range easily, while still getting over 20mpg. Hard to beat that!

Last edited:

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
dude the 7.3 is the way to go. i wouldnt hesitate on either one. i own a 99 F250 EC/LB and LOVE it

MTDewX8

Observer
thank you gentleman, much appriciated.

I have been reading lots about the dodge since I made that post. I did find a 95 F250 with 95k miles in OR with a 460 that I will be looking at on my next trip to OR in a month. its a CC 4x4 5sp too. just not diesel.

I have owned a 00 7.3 and it treated me well as I converted it to be a hybrid :wings: that saved me TONS of $ for diesel for 3 years burning SVO.

anyway dont own it any more and I do know they cost a lot to maintain. 15 qts of oil and such. but ran good for many miles.

the 00 dually I am considering has 144k on the clock and a 6 speed (which I want) crew cab is cool too (little rough), but still am trying to plan around the flat bed and dually part. not sure I really need the dually.

I like the idea of the dually, cause I dont know what type of camper I might end up with its the flat bed making me re-think. and I have no $ to build boxes to clean up the sides.
plus that is 2 more $300 tires to buy. lol

there are few issues with it so it will need some work if I get it and it will be my only set of wheels.

the dodge was just a thought cause of the cummings motor. never owned a diesel one, only a Dodge V10 that SUCKED gas big time.

again I really am thankful for all your guys input. certainly not trying to be annoiying with all my questions.

Cheers

MTDewX8

Observer
few pics on one of my options

00 6spd with 144k on the clock. needs a good cleaning for sure. with some issues that would need 00 SD2.jpg00 SD.jpg00 SD1.jpg00 SD3.jpg00 SD4.jpgattention.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
What kind of money are they asking for these trucks?

I just bought a nice 97 F350 crewcab 4x4 in Bellingham Wa for $4k. 7.3 diesel, built auto and one owner. It needs a few little things, and has 200+ on the clock, burt it is all long distance highway miles. It runs and drives great. My plan is to swap a 12V Cummins into it as soon as the 7.3 starts to cause money troubles. It gives 18 mpg when I am stomping on it on the highway, and decent power too. I really think the 97s are the best simple vs comfortable platform. The 5 spd on your 97 option is a really a nice option too. You could do a Dana 60 swap when the TTB gives up, and have an awesome truck.

The flat deck looks decent, and with some clean up, could be a great truck. But it IS a lot of truck, and the extra two tires is $$$. Duallies also really SUCK in the snow. Montana = snow. This would be a good camper hauler, and campers get heavy... fast. I have a 2700lb camper. It is a 10' hard side with no slides. That is the empty weight. I am just running airbags with single rear wheel F350. The duals on the flat deck would be better for this size camper.

The Dodge with the 5 speed is a great option too. "Sub Urban" did a great job summarizing these.

MTDewX8

Observer
my thoughts exactly. it is a lot of truck, that is why I am hesitant. I would trade the dually straight across with my 4runner. that just makes it an easy transaction. but the dually doesn't scare me just like you said its a lot of truck that is not really needed. then again if I end up with a BIG camper it is perfect.

the other local 97 that has 294k miles is actually in really good condition. even the motor and drives well. just the miles scare me. and if and when the engine goes, I wouldn't have the $$ to change to a cummings. but that would be cool.

I also thought of a van. found one local (not 4x4) but set up well other than that. its an 01 sportmobile with 244k. funny thing is its a older womans fishing rig. hubby dont fish. so she would load up the dog and GOOOO. will meet her soon as I am checking out the van after my trip to cali.

found a 99 F-250 with a 5.4 that is a really clean truck. dont think the 5.4 would fit my needs. as I have also read the gas mileage sucks

thanks again for all your input. I am just gun shy at my state right now. at 38 finishing up an assosiates in aviation I am pretty much broke, so i just have to utilize my resources and make the best choice for down the road.

the last option was if and when I move out of the girl friends house is get rent a room. and i am not thrilled at that idea.

happy easter to all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94