First Gen Toyota 4x4 Pickup-22r Question

pat92

I have a chance to buy a 1982 Toyota pickup with little to no rust, straight as an arrow body and immaculate interior. Only issue I have is the 22r in it is dead. The early 4x4 Toyota pickups with the 22r had round intake ports, double roller timing chain and a different deck height than the latter 22r. Something like 1984 or 1985 is when the square or rectangle (whatever you want to call it) ports showed up. So I guess what I'm getting at is will a latter 22r engine with the square ports and different deck height fit into the 1982 Toyota pickup. I'm not wanting to put the older 22r head on a newer 22re block or vis versa, already know that that won't work. Just wanting to know if a latter, say 1985,1986,1987 22r with bolt right into the 1982 Toyota frame? Would I have to change motor mounts or anything? Also the 1982 pickup is backed with a L50 trans, will a latter model 22re bolt right to the bell housing? Cause the L50 doesn't have a removable bell housing. Any input or information would be great, and thanks for your time and info.

Patrick

Rot Box

Explorer
Yep it will swap over just fine :bike_rider: The motor will bolt right in place and it will bolt up to the L50. You may find yourself needing to modify your current exhaust to work with the later manifold depending on what you have now. Other than that it is a VERY straight forward swap.

If you are wanting to switch to a later G, R or W series transmission later on it would require cutting new holes in the floor hump along with driveshaft/crossmember modifications. Hope this helps,

Andrew

pat92

Rot box, thanks for the reply, I see that you have a 1979 hilux with a 20r. Have you swapped yours over or have you just had experience/ past knowledge of someone swapping a latter year 22re in to a first gen 4x4 Toyota pickup. The latter 22r are a little easier to obtain parts for such as intake manifolds and other miscellaneous parts, that's why I'm looking into the latter engines.

Rot Box

Explorer
No I haven't swapped mine over actually the 20R is my favorite of the R-series engines lol It does have the later 5speed transmission and a few other goodies that I added. I have swapped out quite a few 20-22R's in pickups and 4runners both old to new and vice versa over the years in my own vehicles and friends. If you do land a 85 and newer 22R check the timing guides while the motor is out and it also doesn't hurt to check/adjust the valves while your into it :bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles