Wiring Question for now and future

srgsng25

Observer
just started on my trailer and need a few ideas

original lighting system was a 4 wire light system

what is preferred for lighting 4,5,6,7 for wiring i am thinking about adding a Aux battery for LED interior lighting, and a few 12 volt charge ports / Air pump ports

the question is.. is it easier to run a aux battery on the trailer and just Charge the battery when we get home or have a hot wire running on a isolator to the trailer with a charge as i drive setup

so if anyone has direction to point me in i would appreciate it

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
If you are even thinking of having accessories or a battery on the trailer, I would go with the 7 pin. Most cars today are set up at the factory with 7 pin connections when a trailer package is installed. Besides, its better to have the set up and not need it then it is to go back and change it when you decide it is time to add it.

srgsng25

Observer
LOL OK i get the Point so 7 LOL more on the ever growing shopping list my wife might end up killing me yet

tbone1004

Observer
While the J560 connectors mentioned above are nice, just accept that they're not common, so you'll likely need an adapter to a standard blade RV connect as well as the standard 4 pin if you tow any other trailers. FWIW i haven't had problems with the rv connectors, but apparently he has

tbone1004

Observer
I agree with that. The trucks coming out of the factory usually have the 7 pin RV connectors though, and most of the light duty trailers as well. Also, if he has a 7pin RV on his truck already, then there is no point in switching it out since the extra amperage you can run through them isn't supported by the existing wiring in the vehicle. This is also only increased from 30a to 40a, which isn't all that significant. Much more solid, but again, I haven't ever seen a 7pin RV break, so if your tow vehicle has a 7 pin RV, stick with that, if you're adding one, then I'd go with the J560, but make sure you buy the 7pin round to 7pin blade as well as 7pin round to 4 pin adapters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior