EarthRoamer 2.0

Saiyan66

Adventurer
So the tire replacement cost would be $2800, but the upgrade cost when buying new is $14300? Wow those are some expensive rims...........

turbopilot

Observer
A few days ago I made a trip south on US101 in California from Arcata to San Luis Obispo in the 2012 EarthRoamer. Here is the message center for the trip.

IMG2715-S.jpg

I confirmed the actual distance to be within one mile of the reading shown on the message center at 526. I filled up the tanks and they took 42.9 gallons versus the message center reading of 42.8 gallons. So over the 526 mile trip the 2012 EarthRoamer fuel milage was an amazing 12.3 mpg. The enroute time of 10:51 included about 40 minutes for a lunch break with the engine idling and some stop and go traffic in Oakland. During the trip the ER had one regen.

Great mileage for a 17,000 lb rig.

Attachments

• IMG2715-S.jpg
    IMG2715-S.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 371
So the tire replacement cost would be $2800, but the upgrade cost when buying new is $14300? Wow those are some expensive rims...........

1) you get 5 tires, not 4 with the Earthroamer
2) you get 5 bolttogether rims, and yes, those rims are not cheap, on the order of $1000 each. They are designed for a load capacity of at least 7000 lbs each. An example of heavy duty bolttogether aluminum rims:
http://hellgeth.com/sale/sale-parts-wheeled-vehicles/
2nd item down on page
3) I believe the $14300 also includes the air suspension; yes it is more expensive than a Skyjacker lift kit.

Charlie

762X39

Explorer
Thanks for chiming in Charlie. Yes 5 tires cost more than 4 and 5 Beadlock rims made by Hutchinson are more than cheap rims by everybody else. I never considered a Skyjacker lift for an F550 to be a serious choice for an ATW truck (especially one with a high build quality). At the price, I think the package is reasonable and fair.:coffee:

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Sorry, I wasn't trying to stir up anything over the cost of the wheel and tire upgrade. I know that ER puts out an amazing product and was just thinking about what their cost/retail is on some of the upgrades. Someone who is legitimately in the market for one of these probably wouldn't bat an eye at those options prices. For me however who is still in the dreaming phase, it seems they are definitely making some good profit on those upgrades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles