74' Volvo c303 on EBAY

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
I have seen it sell at least two times since that restoration.

Seems to be a good example of one if youre in the market.

The reserve is about $17,500 I was told.

Although parts would be getting harder and more expensive to procure.

bikerjosh

Explorer
Yeah I seem to remember it was going for 17k last time. Very cool. Kind of odd the ebay ad says it has a 4 cyl, bummer it has the carbs so it's the 130hp variant rather than the 160hp.

zimm

Expedition Leader
i thought the beauty of these was the fact plenty of parts are off the shelf volvo.

seems like one truck i want, but im never in the market when one is for sale. always knee deep in projects.

someday.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Yeah I seem to remember it was going for 17k last time. Very cool. Kind of odd the ebay ad says it has a 4 cyl, bummer it has the carbs so it's the 130hp variant rather than the 160hp.

this isnt a difficult truck to modify. id stick a toyota six from an fzj80 in there. easy to find, double the power, better mileage... a merc diesel maybe?

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
The fuel injected B30 has Bosch parts that are very difficult or stupid expensive to replace.

It's just a matter of wether your a vintage vehicle person or not.

Not that many things look cooler IMO.

The fact that mopar is just now doing portals and on that FC just goes to show how insanely ahead of their time the Volvos were. Pretty ************ out of the box.

zimm

Expedition Leader
portals are an extremely limited market not a technologically advanced part.

Hafwit

Adventurer
The C303/TGB vehicles have many parts issues since other than the B30A motor, they share parts with Series II Landrovers and they have many unique parts as well. Other than a few that were built for municipal use, most are 24V. There have been many people who have done various engine conversions, but these are difficult and expensive. The vehicle is heavy and wind-resistant, so it is tempting to put in an engine that will overpower it. Many people who have done this have seen that the other parts are not built to handle this and they start breaking things. As an owner of one of these, I can say it is a great truck, but it has its limitations.

Cheers,
Greg

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
portals are an extremely limited market not a technologically advanced part.

still ahead of its time as a package, even though you may think the technology is nothing special.

pinzgauer is the only close comparison, but without live axles, so its really quite different.

zimm

Expedition Leader
still ahead of its time as a package, even though you may think the technology is nothing special.

pinzgauer is the only close comparison, but without live axles, so its really quite different.

they are useful when the package has a size limitation. like when you want a NATO truck that has greater than average GC with the standard wheel and it still needs to fit on a c130, or shouldn't be much larger than the pallet its designed to haul. otherwise they bring their own negatives to the table, and just merely fall under the column of "damn friggin cool".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles