Sit-in vs Sit on top Kayaks

Macsimizer26

Could someone help me with the pros cons of sit in vs sit on top kayaks? I would like to buy a kayak for fishing mostly, no ocean fishing mostly ponds and streams, and i will not be fly fishing, will be using spinning reels or baitcasters. thanks

BlackClassic

If Not Now When?
I personally have only been in sit ins but my friend uses the sit on and does fishing out of it. The sit on I would think would just be better because there more open and your stuff is all right there and you don't have to mess around with everything. I would probably go that root too. For fishing I would opt for the sit on.

Cody1771

Explorer
get a sit on, there are some really good fishing models around, they are easier to get in and out of and for fishing getting to your gear is easier. and they are cheaper usually.

D

Deleted member 9101

My vote is for sit on top. I have two and love them. I have three rod holders and can easily access all of my gear. If I want to get out and wade its easy to get in and out.

Yellowkayak

Adventurer
I teach beginning kayaking classes and I own six kayaks, SOT and SIK . SOT (Sit-on-top) and SIK (Sit-in-Kayak). Depending what you are going to use it for depends on which kayak will fit YOUR NEEDS. As mentioned already - TOURING or WEEKEND Camping go with SIK (15 - 18 foot range), and for paddling around and fishing go with a SOT. If running rivers and you DON'T want to get wet, get a small 10 - 12 foot SIK with a spray skirt. For fishing and running river and you are NOT worried about getting wet , then a 10 - 12 foot SOT. Difference...the SOT are as mentioned, easier to get off and on. The SIK you have to get IN and some people with bad knee and back problems will tend to go with a SOT instead of a SIK because of the ease of use. Remember one thing...the wider the kayak, the slower but more stable.
PM if you need further recommendations!
JJ

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Have owned and used both.....currently have a folding double SIK and two open cockpit SIK

SOT.....easy to get in and out of, even if you fall in the drink;
Colder! You DEFINITELY will get more water sprayed on you while paddling and from wind,
Gear is more accessible but it can get knocked out of it easier,
Wear shorts and your legs get sunburned, so use waterproof sunblock,

Biggest negative with the SOT is how much cold water you get splashed with....I would not use these in colder lakes.

Best compromise......and open cockpit SIK....easy to get in and out, a bit more stable in waves and wind, good gear access, and more versatile

Shurppa

Observer
Jackson makes some good fishing kayaks. check out the Big Tuna, Orion, Coosa, or the Cuda.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles