Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natural Gas Conversion for 3rd Gen 4runner. Seeking information on any conversions

Default Natural Gas Conversion for 3rd Gen 4runner. Seeking information on any conversions

Has anyone come across any 4runners that are running on Natural Gas? I've seen some land-cruisers outfitted, one was an FJ-55 imported from Australia. But i have not seen any conversions to 4runners or Surfs, or to the 3.4L in general.
    Since Natural gas has plummeted with the recent drilling to around 2.15, it is definitely something to possibly consider. Even though natural gas will drop your mpg by around 10%

For over-landing though, I wonder what issues will arise with Government agencies, or just finding natural gas in pales like central america. Would it be hard to fin a reliable source?

6 cylinder conversion kit.
    http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=CNG6cyl
    2000 4Runner Sport
    OME Suspension
    4xInovations Sliders
    Whitson Metalworks full length roof rack
    ARB Prado Bumper
    JDM Field Monitor
    ARB Fridge

1989 Land Rover 110 Turbo Diesel

Currently traveling the world for bit and working in the sandbox

Explore. Dream. Discover.

Natural gas is terrible for the environment. Unless you like flammable water.
    |06 KJ|65th Anniversary Edition|2.5" lift|265/70r16 Pirelli Scorpion ATR|kayak, bike, dog, etc.|
    |07 ER-6f|bolt-ons|60+ mpg|get out there|
    Tampa, FL

Quote Originally Posted by iMTB View Post
    Because it comes naturally from the environment? :-)

The problem I've seen with the set up is: 1) where to get the gas from? your house?
    2) I know here in WA the 3rd gens are still under DEQ so I have doubts that you could pass a vehicle inspection so it couldn't be a DD.
    1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.4L Auto
    With many Modifications
    Build thread
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ew-to-the-site

The infrastructure is not quite here yet. Most refueling stations are private at this time. I know Clean Energy is working with Pilot Flying J stations.
    Not sure how frequently they update these maps but here is a locator: Natural Gas Locations.
    Keezer
    '05 Tacoma
    Hey Mavis.com

Interesting. Wasn't Ford for a while selling CNG Taurus, and Crown Vics as an option(for consumers too, not just fleet sales). It could have been more of a regional thing, but I would have assumed there would be some stations if someone like Ford was selling CNG powered cars to the consumer.

Edit: nvm, just saw that chart in the link and it indeed is a regional thing, and I guess I noticed it more since I live in California where there is at least 200 stations.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape View Post
    Interesting. Wasn't Ford for a while selling CNG Taurus, and Crown Vics as an option(for consumers too, not just fleet sales). It could have been more of a regional thing, but I would have assumed there would be some stations if someone like Ford was selling CNG powered cars to the consumer.

Edit: nvm, just saw that chart in the link and it indeed is a regional thing, and I guess I noticed it more since I live in California where there is at least 200 stations.
    Honda has a Civic too, that isn't widely publicized.

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-natural-gas/

I would say if you only used the vehicle as a commuter and could fill it up at home...it "might" (and I stress "might") be worth it. Don't know if the cost
    of the conversion would pay for itself in a timely manner. Isn't the conversion around 7-8 grand? Heck, I could buy 2 new engines for that...I can never make the numbers work for me...and petrol ends up being cheaper in the long run.

Trying to use it for traveling, it would be a huge hassle.
    Last edited by Clutch; 06-02-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iMTB View Post
    Posting on the internet is "bad" for the environment...

My girlfriend works for a recycling plant that specializes in E-Waste, they just sold a 40' container full of old computer equipment that is
    destined for China, so they can tear that crap down even further...

Funny how what they build is being to returned to them, to be reused again...not exactly "eco-friendly" tho'...when is the new iPad coming out so we can toss the old ones, what, aren't the latest versions 3 months old now...

e_waste_01.jpg
    Last edited by Clutch; 06-02-2012 at 09:47 PM.

CNG (compressed natural gas) is a great fuel choice for a commuter vehicle. The fuel is cheap YMMV, even if there is no CNG station nearby you can get a "fuel maker" to fuel your vehicle at home each night if you have natural gas. I work for an agency that has been running CNG for 18 years now. I bought an old conversion when they went up for auction, 2 bucks a GGE is a cheap way to drive around town.
    no fuel pumps to worry about, your oil would always look new, less power, but cheaper fuel.

The drawbacks of cng are fuel storage. The cylinders are large, they will take up almost all your storage space in the vehicle, you will also need extra capacity since you cannot borrow a Jerry can of natural gas on the trail.. The cylinders must also be protected from ANY damage. For an off road application, I would not mount them under a vehicle, they will have to be inside. Any damage and you will have to have them inspected by a certified inspector and possibly replace the cylinders $$$$.

IMHO the only decent CNG vehicles are the factory vehicles. the honda is great, Ford stopped producing CNG vehicles. conversions are just not worth the effort unless you have a specific need and conversion cost is not a factor.
    Mike
    KI6IOP
    09 JKU Rubicon
    87 Samurai

Always drink upstream from the herd. Will Rogers

OOOH Liquid. maybe I should read more before posting.
    Mike
    KI6IOP
    09 JKU Rubicon
    87 Samurai

Always drink upstream from the herd. Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by \\'anderer View Post
    IMHO the only decent CNG vehicles are the factory vehicles. the honda is great, Ford stopped producing CNG vehicles. conversions are just not worth the effort unless you have a specific need and conversion cost is not a factor.
    You can get the Ford Transit prepped with the hardened valves and seats, $315.
    Keezer
    '05 Tacoma
    Hey Mavis.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast