Natural Gas Conversion for 3rd Gen 4runner. Seeking information on any conversions

Elbee

Adventurer
Has anyone come across any 4runners that are running on Natural Gas? I've seen some land-cruisers outfitted, one was an FJ-55 imported from Australia. But i have not seen any conversions to 4runners or Surfs, or to the 3.4L in general.
Since Natural gas has plummeted with the recent drilling to around 2.15, it is definitely something to possibly consider. Even though natural gas will drop your mpg by around 10%

For over-landing though, I wonder what issues will arise with Government agencies, or just finding natural gas in pales like central america. Would it be hard to fin a reliable source?

6 cylinder conversion kit.
http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=CNG6cyl

Natural gas is terrible for the environment. Unless you like flammable water.

Because it comes naturally from the environment? :)

The problem I've seen with the set up is: 1) where to get the gas from? your house?
2) I know here in WA the 3rd gens are still under DEQ so I have doubts that you could pass a vehicle inspection so it couldn't be a DD.

keezer37

Explorer
The infrastructure is not quite here yet. Most refueling stations are private at this time. I know Clean Energy is working with Pilot Flying J stations.
Not sure how frequently they update these maps but here is a locator: Natural Gas Locations.

bloodycape

Observer
Interesting. Wasn't Ford for a while selling CNG Taurus, and Crown Vics as an option(for consumers too, not just fleet sales). It could have been more of a regional thing, but I would have assumed there would be some stations if someone like Ford was selling CNG powered cars to the consumer.

Edit: nvm, just saw that chart in the link and it indeed is a regional thing, and I guess I noticed it more since I live in California where there is at least 200 stations.

Clutch

<---Pass
Interesting. Wasn't Ford for a while selling CNG Taurus, and Crown Vics as an option(for consumers too, not just fleet sales). It could have been more of a regional thing, but I would have assumed there would be some stations if someone like Ford was selling CNG powered cars to the consumer.

Edit: nvm, just saw that chart in the link and it indeed is a regional thing, and I guess I noticed it more since I live in California where there is at least 200 stations.

Honda has a Civic too, that isn't widely publicized.

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-natural-gas/

I would say if you only used the vehicle as a commuter and could fill it up at home...it "might" (and I stress "might") be worth it. Don't know if the cost
of the conversion would pay for itself in a timely manner. Isn't the conversion around 7-8 grand? Heck, I could buy 2 new engines for that...I can never make the numbers work for me...and petrol ends up being cheaper in the long run.

Trying to use it for traveling, it would be a huge hassle.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Natural gas is terrible for the environment. Unless you like flammable water.

Posting on the internet is "bad" for the environment...

My girlfriend works for a recycling plant that specializes in E-Waste, they just sold a 40' container full of old computer equipment that is
destined for China, so they can tear that crap down even further...

Funny how what they build is being to returned to them, to be reused again...not exactly "eco-friendly" tho'...when is the new iPad coming out so we can toss the old ones, what, aren't the latest versions 3 months old now...

e_waste_01.jpg

Last edited:

\\'anderer

Adventurer
CNG (compressed natural gas) is a great fuel choice for a commuter vehicle. The fuel is cheap YMMV, even if there is no CNG station nearby you can get a "fuel maker" to fuel your vehicle at home each night if you have natural gas. I work for an agency that has been running CNG for 18 years now. I bought an old conversion when they went up for auction, 2 bucks a GGE is a cheap way to drive around town.
no fuel pumps to worry about, your oil would always look new, less power, but cheaper fuel.

The drawbacks of cng are fuel storage. The cylinders are large, they will take up almost all your storage space in the vehicle, you will also need extra capacity since you cannot borrow a Jerry can of natural gas on the trail.. The cylinders must also be protected from ANY damage. For an off road application, I would not mount them under a vehicle, they will have to be inside. Any damage and you will have to have them inspected by a certified inspector and possibly replace the cylinders $$$$.

IMHO the only decent CNG vehicles are the factory vehicles. the honda is great, Ford stopped producing CNG vehicles. conversions are just not worth the effort unless you have a specific need and conversion cost is not a factor.

keezer37

Explorer
IMHO the only decent CNG vehicles are the factory vehicles. the honda is great, Ford stopped producing CNG vehicles. conversions are just not worth the effort unless you have a specific need and conversion cost is not a factor.

You can get the Ford Transit prepped with the hardened valves and seats, $315.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Clean Energy goal is to build 70 stations this year and another 80 next year. The focus for Clean Energy is long distance trucking.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Here in Colombia LPG gas run cars are everywhere

everything from 3 cylinder hyundies to LC's run dual fuel systems- gasoline for remote areas and gas for arround town and the main highways

Visual inspection is every 2 years on the tanks and a hydro every 5-

Cost is about 1000usd depending on the vehicle- if its a carbed truck its easy peasy- basicly just adding a gas flow ring above the carb two valves and the controler.

Tanks are either in the boot- or in place of the spare tire underneath- usually with a skid plate for the offroaders and bare for the townies.

Price diference is significant with way less poloution

maybe I need to start importing kits from here to the US !

nasko

Adventurer
North America is so far behind when it comes to propane, natural gas, or even Diesel it is not even funny. In Europe, probably 70-80% are Diesel powered and the rest are propane/gas, what UK4x4 described above. I have looked into it up here in Canada, the conversion systems cost double what I would be able to source from Europe, but the installation is where the big hit comes, back home pretty much any self-respected mechanic would be able to do the conversion and the whole thing would cost about $2000 (kit and labour), here everything comes to $5000-$6000. Wait, it gets worse, up here no insurance company (at least the ones I spoke to) will insure a private propane powered vehicle. It is just nuts. The price and the insurance problems pretty much negate all the benefits of a conversion, which is unfortunate as propane and natural gas burn a lot cleaner, are much cheaper and abundant in Canada.
To the poster that posted above saying that natural gas is bad for the environment would you care to explain why is it worse than oil/gas?

\\'anderer

Adventurer
We regularly get cng buses built in NY and Minnesota stopping for fuel before Los Angeles.

There are fuel stations around . But so many of them are agency stations and may or may not be working or open. I travel around So Cal on CNG. I just make sure I always have a backup station for fuel. More stations would be great

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles