JK 4-door to 2-door long wheelbase conversion.....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
This is kinda an offshoot of another thread, but this idea has been going around in my head all day......

3doorjkchop.jpg

J8crop.jpg

Basically a kit that would convert a 4-door JK into a long wheelbase 2-door version. Replace the rear doors with inserts that would bolt in and a new one piece top to replace the factory version.....

Personally I don't need or want the 4-door JK rear doors, seats, etc. I just want more room in the rear cargo area for storage, sleeping, etc. I have to think that eliminating the rear doors with inserts could make it a bit lighter, cleaner, and more simple overall. I'm thinking the top could be a simple one piece unit manufactured out of strong composite material with an insulated honeycomb top to help with noise, sun, and cold temps.

What I am thinking is a USA available version of something like this.....

163_0702_10zmercedes_benz_g_wagenside_view.jpg

Anyone else ever thought about something along these lines?

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Im hunting for a Picture right now, but in 2007 or 08 Mopar mad a Black 2 door long wheelbase JK with a soft top. It was like the Tj Unlimited but a Jk. It was really nice and there was a lot of buzz about it at the Time. If I find the info Ill post it up.

Nate

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
yup, that is now the WARN red JK I think. It's between a 2door JK and 4door JK in length if I remember right. Its a great idea, but I am trying to stick to an idea where I don't have to do any major body or frame mods :)

postalWagon

Adventurer
Why don't you try and make the door inserts part of the roof top? Then you could "mould" in a sleeping platform wit storage underneath and it would be simple and removable in the event you need extra space.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hey Metcalf,

I know exactly what you're aiming for, and I've often wanted the same thing.

In the mean time, I think a regular 4 door JK will suffice just fine. If you don't want the back doors, leave them locked and just don't use them. Other than saving a fraction of weight and looking a bit "better", I don't think it's really worth the massive effort to make your own.

What else is the difference?

-Dan

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Why don't you try and make the door inserts part of the roof top? Then you could "mould" in a sleeping platform wit storage underneath and it would be simple and removable in the event you need extra space.

GREAT idea, thanks for putting it in the thread!

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
I understand the OP's thought process. I have an LJ Rubi at the moment. Lost my head this weekend and almost bought a 4 door JK Rubi, sanity prevailed. I looked closely at the back seats and decided that if I bought it, I would remove the rear seats and build a "flat floor" extension with hidden storage to right behind the front seats.
I do like the idea of operable rear doors as access is much easier than my LJ. I have a 10 year old Golden Retriever who likes going in and out of the "steps" of the rear doors in the Sequoia rather than the jump up or down from the hatch. Easier on the shoulders. SO the rear doors of the JK look attractive, once the seats are out of the way.

caseyjones

Seems you'd be halfway there with the JK-8 kit from Mopar, just get a custom full-length top made up. YOu could probably leave the roll structure intact if you ditched the half-cab and did some sort of custom full-length top.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Seems you'd be halfway there with the JK-8 kit from Mopar, just get a custom full-length top made up. YOu could probably leave the roll structure intact if you ditched the half-cab and did some sort of custom full-length top.

I agree, but the JK8 body kit is so......invasive/complex/expensive/tons of work.....or something. I think the kit could be modified to produce a long wheelbase 2-door. From what I have heard the JK8 body kit is based on J8 body parts.

You have to buy the 4-door JK either way. I think doing some bolt in door inserts and a new top would still be MUCH cheaper and easier than the JK8 body kit.

Perhaps even the rear factory 4-door half-doors could be used instead of a fill plate? I think you can almost get those 'free' when you order. I think you might have a hard time getting front full doors and rear half doors however.....

alexfm

Explorer

I agree, but the JK8 body kit is so......invasive/complex/expensive/tons of work.....or something. I think the kit could be modified to produce a long wheelbase 2-door. From what I have heard the JK8 body kit is based on J8 body parts.

You have to buy the 4-door JK either way. I think doing some bolt in door inserts and a new top would still be MUCH cheaper and easier than the JK8 body kit.

Perhaps even the rear factory 4-door half-doors could be used instead of a fill plate? I think you can almost get those 'free' when you order. I think you might have a hard time getting front full doors and rear half doors however.....

I've looked at a JK-8 we have at a local Jeep dealer, and I also think you'd be better off just building something yourself. The JK8 kit, while nice and warrantied, really leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. Its just not setup right, and coulda been done better. Just my 2¢.

Brigitta

Observer
My last Jeep was a TJ stretched to 115" WB, pretty much the same as a 4DR JK. We did have a rear seat in it for the kids, but accessing anything in the backseat area was difficult. Even if you don't need the rear doors of the JK, it's nice to be able to access stuff in the front of the rear axle without having to take everything out. Trying to slide the front seats forward to access that area is a nightmare!

Barrettig6side.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier