Options for theft protection of M416 trailer?

Rosader

Observer
I'm taking my M416 trailer on an Easter weekend camping trip and I'm wondering, what do you guys do to prevent theft of your trailer while away from your campsite? I could just chain it to a tree but I feel that might not be enough and that's assuming I will be camping near a tree. What are the best options?

kai38

Explorer
Remove the hitch from the truck and place in the loop on the trailer and place hitch lock in to lock it.

95RRC

Adventurer
A determined, prepared and ingenious thief is impossible to beat. Period.

Do your best, but of they find it difficult to hook it up to their vehicle that is usually the best answer.

BMThiker

SE Expedition Society
Saw something on Steelsoldiers.com that was pretty neat locking device that made the lunette useless. Basically it was two steel pieces that sandwiched the lunette and provided a tab for adding a padlock. I plan to use a heavy steel cable (bike lock type) and thread it through the lunette and around whatever is available as a "hitching post". In my parking lot at our complex, its a heavy steel guardrail.
This is similar to what I saw. Looks home made.
URL]

Another one looks more professional and uses a "pillbox" lock. with source here: http://www.trailerlocksonline.com/daplug.html
URL]

I would only use one of these if it were absolutely not possible to lock it to a stationary object, or situation where logistics are not convenient, like at a campground.

Last edited:

DCH109

Adventurer
I have seen these are well. Myself i was going to try the first one, they are a little cheaper but should be fine.
The second will work two but are much more expensive.
otherwise just remove the Lunette like other said. this might be the easiest to do. and most people will not be carrying this around.
As well a chain or steel cable routed through the rims might work.
but like other said, if they want it bad enough then they will take it no matter what you do.

something like this might work as well
http://www.etrailer.com/Locks/Guardian/28023.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles