I.I.F.I.F.M. Trailer Build

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
If It's Free It's For Me

DSCF1028.jpg

Just got this from a customer of mine from N.A.P.A.
DSCF1026.jpg

DSCF1029.jpg

Now all I have to Wait for is DINOOT to get their Basic Tub Kit on the Market and the Fun Begins.

Tear Down Begins Tomorrow. I'll post more Pics later.

mmcan

Observer
I might have wheels and tires and hubs w new bearings that I removed from my trailer which had been on a suzuki based set up,....

PM me if you would need these if they fit. But,... TANSTAFWTHB's

(there ain't no such thing as free wheels tires hubs bearings,...)

;-)

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
mmcan just PM'd you.

Did a little tear down today to see how things look.
DSCF1031.jpg

Not to bad for Free. it does need a little work.
DSCF1032.jpg

DSCF1033.jpg

I'm Going with a 4' x 6.5' flatbed to start. I have some stock Samurai Springs I'll be using & then an Upgrade on the axle.

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
Finally had time to finish the tear down!!

DSCF1041.jpg

DSCF1039.jpg

Now on to cutting the frame down to a 4' x 6' frame. I have decided to go with an Explorer Box type Trailer with slide-out kitchen on right side up front & slide-out sink/ counter on right side in the rear behind tire. Maybe a small removable counter to run between front & rear slide-outs.

DSCF1047.jpg

Left side rear portion of E.B. will get a slide-out in the upper 2' for 2-75 Watt removable Solar Panels. Slide-Out for Solar Panels will be 48" x 50" x 1 1/2".

DSCF1050.jpg

Explorer Box will be 5' X 6' on bottom were it mounts to trailer & 5' x 7' at the top of box.

View from above with all slides closed.

DSCF1051.jpg

Explorer Box will be removable to be able to use the trailer as a 4' x 6' utility trailer when not camping.

Thanks for check'n out my trailer build. Any suggestions are greatfully accepted!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Measure it, those are typically 53 inches wide at the outer rails, don't let it throw off your other measurements thinking it is 48 inches wide. I learned this the hard way with the same exact trailer 2 years back.

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
Black ZJ; I just went outside and measured my trailer width and it's 48" wide. Even on the inside of spring mounts still mounted to the axel are 48".
Were did you measure 53" on your trailer?

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
Thanks Jeff the diagrams will be a great help. My trailer is a fold up model so my tongue setup is a little different. I'm going to use the original fold up tongue as part of my back bone and replace the front tongue with a 6' piece of 2 1/2 reciever stock. I'm still up in the air about springs. I have a set of Samurai springs I'm thinking of using but they might be to stiff. Any suggestions on spring set ups?
Well it's time to go outside and start to do some cutting & reconfiguring.

Thanks Again Jeff you are an Inspiration to us all. Great Work by the way.

Last edited:

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
Well cutting & reconfiguring is done.

DSCF1053.jpg

DSCF1054.jpg

Rear section of backbone will be fliped over so open channel faces down & a 2 1/2 receicer will be added.
The two pieces in the middle are a crossmember I had extra so I cut it in half to box in the frame were it was shortend.
DSCF1055.jpg

DSCF1056.jpg

Box section will be moved foward and snuged up against front crossmember.

Now as soon as the 6' piece of 2 1/2 receiver stock gets in I can finish the front section. Front section at receiver will come in a little not sure how much yet. Depends on the Tongue Box size.
Then begins the FUN of scraping, sanding & priming then paint.

How am I doing so far?

Dirtytires

Explorer
I hope soo to. I hate not having a garage to work on the truck and trailer. Are you upgrading the tires and rims?
That Samurai looks pretty fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior