1st Gen Tundra Questions.

DblD

Adventurer
Hope this is the right place to ask these questions.

I’m searching for some information regarding Tundras. More specifically 1st Generation (2000-2006)Tunrdas. I am thinking about accepting a new job that will offer a monthly truck allowance. I need a larger bed with more cargo hauling capacity and more towing capacity than my dbl cab Tacoma. I’ve looked around at a few Tundra forums but I’m mostly finding things like window tint percentages and tips for blacking out your tail lights.

So…

How many miles are “too many” miles for the 4.7lt. V8?

What, if any, are the weak points in the 1st gen. Tundras? I’ve heard of frame rust recalls.

What major service items need to be addressed and at what mileage intervals?

What kind of real world miles per gallon can I expect out of the 4.7 with 150-200,000 miles on the motor?

Finally, what are the good Tundra forums that discuss more than chrome chain-link license plate frames?

Thanks,
dd

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
This is just what I can think of, off the top of my head:
Trucks built after 2002 have better brakes.
05-06 trucks have a nice bump in power and the 5speed trans.
In a maintained truck, the motor will outlast everything else. Tough part is knowing how well the truck was cared for.
If you plan on carrying over 1000# regularly, the springs will need help.
You can expect 16-17 mpg if you drive it nice.
unless you're looking at a truck from the 1st 3 years, don't worry about frame rust. As long as you don't ask a Gen1 to do 3/4 ton work, you wont regret getting one.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Hope this is the right place to ask these questions.

I’m searching for some information regarding Tundras. More specifically 1st Generation (2000-2006)Tunrdas. I am thinking about accepting a new job that will offer a monthly truck allowance. I need a larger bed with more cargo hauling capacity and more towing capacity than my dbl cab Tacoma. I’ve looked around at a few Tundra forums but I’m mostly finding things like window tint percentages and tips for blacking out your tail lights.
Don't use spray paint on your windows or tailights......

DblD said:
How many miles are “too many” miles for the 4.7lt. V8?
I'm not sure yet, I'm at 180,000 and it still runs great, doesn't use a drop of oil, etc.....

DblD said:
What, if any, are the weak points in the 1st gen. Tundras? I’ve heard of frame rust recalls.
The Frame Rust Recall is for (I think) 2000-2003s in the more Northern states (VA to Maine?), if you crawl under and the frame is coated with gooey black stuff it had the recall done.
Those years also had a lower ball joint recall issued, you can probably check with Toyota through the VIN to see if any recall was done on a vehicle.
Some trucks (2000-2002) had some issues with OD going out of the transmission, no recall issued IIRC
The front diff is a little weak, and if you try any 4WD low power manuevers in reverse (like trying to yank another vehicle) you might crunch the spider gears

DblD said:
What major service items need to be addressed and at what mileage intervals?
Mostly just the timing belt every 90,000; I do trans fluid every 30,000, and the diffs and transfer case once a year.....

DblD said:
What kind of real world miles per gallon can I expect out of the 4.7 with 150-200,000 miles on the motor?
14-16 daily, 17-18.5 highway, high 19s-20s possible (but not very often!), and that hasn't really changed much from day 1

DblD said:
Finally, what are the good Tundra forums that discuss more than chrome chain-link license plate frames?
You're on it right now, but you can get good info on Tundrasolutions too. They have a huge first gen section, you just have to weed through the chaff to get the info you need

dyogim

Explorer
If you were looking at the 1gens, I'd suggest an 04-06 models. The major issue with the 00-03 models is the transmission OD gears can implode. I believe it's due to a bad cage bearing that ended up disintegrating and causing all the roller bearings to lodge themselves into the OD planetary gears. I tore mine apart when mine did this. It usually happens at around 75K miles. Other issues with the early first gens is the brakes there were issues with the back and front brakes causing the pedal to shutter.

Although the 00-04 model tundras have compatible transmission, it would be best to stick with the 04's as it supposedly has better internals. The 05-06 changed over to the a750e and a750f. So, you'd have to do a lot of mods/upgrades to make it and a750e/f work in an 00-04 model.

As Derek stated, aftermarket stuff is not a luxury for us it's a need and it comes at a cost. Maybe it's a good thing for some people as it deters them from having the upgrade mod to the extreme bug.....LOL!!!!

There's a lot of information available for the 1gens. I would either stick with this site and forum or venture off in Tundrasolutions.com. I'm on both sites as dyogim. Message me if you need any questions or help.

Last edited:

DblD

Adventurer
Thanks for the excellent responses and directions to look for more information. I’m finding there are not a lot of 1st Gen choices for sale here in the middle of the country.

dd

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Going to look at a 2006 double cab tomorrow...sorry to hijack this thread but thought I would ask some more questions instead of starting a new one...

Do all 4wd models have a rear LSD?
Is the TRD package just a shock upgrade?
Was there a factory towing package like the Tacomas with a tranny cooler?

Thanks
Matt

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Flagster said:
Do all 4wd models have a rear LSD?
No, the LSD was an option in and of itself
Flagster said:
Is the TRD package just a shock upgrade?
If I remember right is is Bilstein shocks, slighter stiffer progressive rate springs, and some really cool steekers
Flagster said:
Was there a factory towing package like the Tacomas with a tranny cooler?
Yep
That said, if you are seriously looking at a Tundra:
If you plan on upgrading to a rear locker, look for one without the LSD. The lockers fit the open differentials carrier, but not the LSD's carrier
If you plan to upgrade the suspension by going to adjustable coilovers and new rear springs and shocks, there is certainly no need to shop for a TRD packaged truck.
I don't know if not having either (TRD or LSD) will save you money on a used truck, but if your modifying it at all there is certainly no reason to waste time looking for one or spending more money on one.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
hmmm...good to know that the LSD carrier is non compat with an aftermarket locker...
not that I have ever used the locker in my Tacoma but nice to have I guess

Derek24

Explorer
What Jim said, as always great info! JFYI if you are going for a automatic locker like a Powertrax No-Slip then only and open diff carrier will work because that kind of locker replaces the spider gears only. If you go ARB, then LSD or not will work as the ARB is its own carrier, the ring gear bolts directly to the ARB.

Here's my old stock carrier with the Powertrax No-Slip installed
IMG_0713.jpg

And here is my ARB all installed as it is now!
IMG_0704.jpg

Go for the ARB, save yourself time and money!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles