Anyone ever build a pop top?

dirtnadvil

Hello,
I am new to the forums. I am getting ready to buy a shell for my truck, I will probably have a Callen made, and I am trying to figure out if it is possible or feasable to make it a pop top. I have had a few VW pop tops over the years and they have worked out good for me. I was hoping to bring the concept to a truck camper. I think that the wieght of the roof may be a bit much. Anyways, before I give up on this great idea, I am looking for pictures of the lifting hardware on pop up campers from Europe and Australia. I am interested in the type that lift up on one end ( like the VW Vans ). I am also looking for any advice you may have. Thanks...............John

I've been toying with the same idea. I've got a fiberglass topper and a straight-up pop top...VW Westphalia circa 1966-68...would work just right. Otherwise, it would have to be one of the tilting types, like the one I had on my '69 and '70. Perhaps a junkyard search is in order. There are companies producing the hardware and canvas as replacements, but I haven't seen any of the actual tops. Good luck with your project...I'll be watching. :sombrero:

Treenail

Adventurer
Find a Toyota Chinook and graft the top onto your shell. There are Chinooks sold weekly for a few hundred dollars. The chassis are '79 at the newest so they're generally shot. The campers vary in condition though. I've looked at a couple of $400-$700 Chinooks with good pop tops. The floors and walls can be a bit beat up after thirty plus years!

Tom

familyvan

Adventurer
Check out the pop up section a guy by the name of pods8 is building his own pop up as we speak. Another guy by the name of home skillet has already built his pop up. Both are sweet home-brews!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hello John, and welcome to the site. I guess we really need to know what vehicle you are going to mount the pop-up on to get an idea of your weight limitations and what kind of pop-up you have in mind. If its any help you can follow the build thread in my signature. Hopefully this will give you some inspiration and show you that almost anything is possible with a little ingenuity and hard work....:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94