Seeking 1st Motorcycle

Tribe

Tribe
Looking for suggestions on make, model, etc ... for my first adventure/touring motorcycle. I will be using the motorcycle for 2 - 3 day trips in various states in the Western US. I am a ' minimalist ' hiker/camper and do not carry much gear. The most looming problem is seat height, at 5'7 - 150lbs, I have found it very difficult to ride a Kawasaki KLR 650 & BMW R1200 ( They only bikes I have test rode ). Knowing places I would go and explore, I would say 70/30 or 60/40 road to off road riding.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

zolo

Explorer
You are in a wonderful time of the motorcycle industry if this will be your first ADV bike. Cause everyone has a bike for this purpose now. BUT....
While BMW and the KLR are awesome bikes and are fun for sure. Id say skip those and skip the DL as well...Go straight to the Bike you will eventually love
KTM

Now the 990 might be a bit much for a first bike, but maybe not you did test a R1200.
However KTM makes the 690 Enduro R. There is a bunch of aftermarket stuff being made for it, also Touratech makes bags if you were so inclined. As a minimalist Id say that Giant loop bags would serve you well. Or Wolfman luggage.

The 690 is a dual sport, street legal and a single cylinder, its a bit tall but worth looking at. Any dual sport might take some getting used to in that regard or just plan to lower it if you can. (im not sure about that with the KTM).

But they are so fun that Im giddy every time I ride mine. If my dog didn't go everywhere I do I would have a 100,000 miles on my KTM at this point...
FUN FUN FUN

KTM said to BMW we will see your 5 Dakar wins and raise you 6 more!! Go look at them!!!1

http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/690-enduro-r-usa/highlights.html

That's easy: Yamaha TW-200. Cheap, low, very easy to ride, and 70+ miles per gallon on gas. This bike has quite a cult following.

However, it's also slow. Not good for freeways. Plan on a top speed of 55-60.

DR650 with lowering link. Solid reliability, good fuel economy, good aftermarket support, easy to ride in with your terrain scale you mentioned. The KTM690 is a beast and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for a new rider.

In the beginning you'll be inclined to stick to pavement, but if you already have an inkling that you'll want to explore on dirt, I'd definitely be sure to find a bike which will allow you to comfortably explore off pavement. There is always a trade off though. A more dirt oriented motorcycle will lack hwy comfort, but lets face it, there is more to see off the hwy.

I've either owned or ridden practically the full gamut of dual sport bikes, so if you have any particular questions shoot them my way and I'll try to give you a straight answer.

Owyhee H

Adventurer
We need to know what type of adventures you are planning and how far you want to go. I think for 2-3 days the TW-200 is just about as fun as it gets, especially if you pack light. If you want to cover greater distances at greater speed the TW-200 will leave you wanting. I love the DR650 and thereis a 200 version as well, rock solid and smooth. If you are vertically challenged stay away from the DRZ and WR, they are great and perfect for short trips but not short people. The BMW's and KLR are heavy bikes that are really good on more road oriented trips, if you arnt travelling too far I would suggest a smaller lighter bike, you will enjoy the off highway riding much more and they double as an around town errand runner.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Looking for suggestions on make, model, etc ... for my first adventure/touring motorcycle. I will be using the motorcycle for 2 - 3 day trips in various states in the Western US. I am a ' minimalist ' hiker/camper and do not carry much gear. The most looming problem is seat height, at 5'7 - 150lbs, I have found it very difficult to ride a Kawasaki KLR 650 & BMW R1200 ( They only bikes I have test rode ). Knowing places I would go and explore, I would say 70/30 or 60/40 road to off road riding.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1: Are you planning on any significant length of freeway?
2: Please quantify 'off road'. Are you talking about blowing down single track, or are you out exploring old jeep trails - or maybe wandering around the maintained forest roads?
3: How much do you want to spend on the bike (keeping in mind that it's not uncommon to spend another $1000 on riding gear)?

If you're looking at more state highway (55mph) and back country roads, & mild to moderate terrain (forest roads, unmaintained jeep trails, etc), I'd look towards something like a DR650, maybe a DRZ/KLX400, a mid sized Honda, etc . . .

If you're looking at more freeway (more than an hour at a time) & some mild to moderate terrain (same as above), I'd lean towards the BMW's (G650 for shorter distances, 800/1200 for longer distance w/some mild/moderate dirt mixed in), the 990, etc.

If you want to go fast in really tough terrain, I'd be looking towards the KTMs, Husabergs, or some of the smaller offerings from Honda/Kawasaki. Few people ride these on the road - they usually trailer them to/from the trail (works great if you want to set up a base camp with a truck/camper and explore from there, returning for hot meals, cold beer, & a comfortable bed).

If I had to pick *one* bike for general exploring out west (no major freeway work & no fast single track), it would probably be a DR650.

gabepari

Explorer
DRZ FTMFW!

You can't go wrong with a DRZ400... It's lighter and faster offroad than the KLR. AND a whole lot more fun to ride on trails than the big bikes... Plus they are readily available on the used market for low $$'s. They are OK on the highway with the right gearing. But, if LONG distance slabbing is your idea of fun get a bigger bike.

This one will be for sale soon. Stepping up to a lighter, more powerful, yet more costly to maintain, motocross bike with a license plate. I don't get as much time to ride/camp so I'm forced to truck in to camp, might as well have a rocket ship when I get there :bike_rider:

fathersdayride 001.jpg
fathersdayride 008.jpg

I bought a KLR 250 for my first bike. I like it. Very simple.

I rode a DR200 in the MSF course I took pretty nice as well. Albeit a little short for my 34" inseam.

They had 2 tw200's that, unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to ride. They did look pretty fun.

My Klr 250 is very nice. I have taken it one a bit of offroad usage. Hit a pretty good whoop section. It ate it up.

I have had almost zero experience on a bike, so take that into account as well.

AZchris

Adventurer
The TW200 is a great bike! I used on in my MFS beginner course and they are a blast. I ended up getting a great deal on a DRZ400s and its great for me. I live on dirt roads, so it handles the dirt great, but is powerful enough to get down the road. Seat isn't great, but its a great all around bike for a beginner.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I'm similar size to you -- 5'7", 31" inseam, 140lbs -- and I ride a regular height KLR 650.

When I learned to ride a few years ago I chose a DR200 and it was a hoot and worked well for me. Its lower, lighter, will go slowly on trails, fast enough on roads (65 MPH without a headwind) and has great range due to great gas mileage and a comparatively large tank.

If you want to learn to ride on a small bike it really doesn't matter which one you pick. You'll be able to sell it for almost what you paid for it when the time is right to move on.

Life is too short to pick one bike and ride it forever so don't panic about buying your first bike because it won't be your last. :bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles