Ford Dana 60 hubs for GM wheels

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
Converting a 98 Chevy dually to 4WD using Ford Dana 60 front . . .

I notice that the Ford wheel hub center is 4.88 inches and the Chevy wheel's is only 4.56 inches. How do I deal with it?

Replace the entire hub assembly?

Do the Ford and Chevy dually extensions (that contraption bolted between the rotor/hub and the wheel) interchange?

Does a Chevy hub fit into the Ford spindle stub? Just making sure . . .

MossMan

Adventurer
The hubs are not interchangeable from Ford to Chevy. I went through this when putting a Chevy D60 under my YJ. Fortunately, you say you're using a Ford D60, and the SRW hubs for that are much cheaper than the Chevy ones. As a matter of fact, I think I still have the ones I bought but couldn't use. If you're interested I'll check on them.

edit- just realized you're talking 98. The stuff I was working on was much older so it may have changed.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I know on all the 44's the Yoke on the axle is the same size and you can mix and match the knuckle as needed using the stub that went with the knuckle and then inner for the axle.

I believe the same holds truck for all the "King pin" 60's. Not sure about the balljoint 60's

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Both setups are 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern, so they should be interchangable. I'm talking about the dually adapter, not the actual hub assy.(what holds the bearings) Pull one of your dually adapters off the GM and check the fit on the ford axle.

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
ujointclothing said:
Both setups are 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern, so they should be interchangable. I'm talking about the dually adapter, not the actual hub assy.(what holds the bearings) Pull one of your dually adapters off the GM and check the fit on the ford axle.

They're both 8 x 6.5 but the hole in the middle of the GM wheel would not fit in the Ford's dually adapter hub. A Ford wheel will mate to the GM lugs and hub, but loose. GM and Ford wheels are both "hub-centric" wheels; i.e. the wheel is held/centered by the hub, not by the lug bolts.

I also found the following info on Ford vs GM Dana 60's/hubs, and I wonder how the differences will affect my install, especially #2 and #3:

Differences between the Chevy/Dodge D60 and Ford D60 are more numerous and apparent. They include

1) Chevy/Dodge use a 6 bolt spindle mount pattern, Ford is 5 bolt

2) The Chevy/Dodge spindle and bearing/wheel hub are 5/8" longer than the Ford.

3) The Chevy/Dodge stub shaft is 0.600" longer than the Ford stub shaft

4) Chevy rotors are about 1.5" thick, the Ford and Dodge rotors are about 1.25" thick

5) Virtually all Ford front disc brakes used 2 piston calipers

6) The Chevy/Dodge outer knuckle is clearanced for their large single-piston calipers, the Ford are not.

7) The Chevy/Dodge caliper mounting bracket bolts on AFTER the spindle, as in knuckle-->spindle-->caliper bracket, whereas the Ford mounts the caliper bracket between the knuckle and spindle, as in knuckle-->caliper bracket-->spindle

8) The Chevy/Dodge are passenger drop regular cut low pinion diffs, the Ford are drivers drop reverse cut high pinion.

9) Chevy/Dodge uses six 1/2" spindle studs, Ford uses five 7/16" spindle studs

10) Ford knuckles seem to have more issues with the upper kingpin area strength than others. Chevy/Dodge knuckle has thicker ribbing around the upper kingpin area.

11) Ford knuckles have a shorter steering arm than the Chevy/Dodge. A 1.5" diameter tie-rod on a stock Ford D60 will justtouch the diff cover at full lock. The same tie-rod on a GM Dana 60 would be just over 1/2" away from the cover at full lock.

Last edited:

MossMan

Adventurer
G35Vortec454 said:
8) The Chevy/Dodge are passenger drop regular cut low pinion diffs, the Ford are drivers drop reverse cut high pinion.

I was gonna mention that too but figured it was pretty obvious.:p

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Good info on the comparisons. Did you try & bolt the GM dually adapter to the Ford axle?

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
Because of the differences in spindle lengths, it looks like I have to use the Ford Dana 60 axle and mate it to the GM stub shaft, along with the GM rotors and hubs. I'll probably have to use the GM spindle, too. And then, will figure out which (Ford or GM) of the tie rods/ends to use, etc. etc.

There's lotS to learn.

MossMan

Adventurer
Correct, you basically have to keep consistent from the inner C out. Either all Chevy/Dodge or all Ford. Between the C's it doesn't matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles