Dyneema winch rope questions...

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
If I buy an XRC8 comp winch I get 100' of 3/8" Dyneema sk-75 rope, fairlead and the winch for $450

If I buy an XRC8 steel cabled winch, I get the winch ($299.00) and have to buy the rope ($200.00 from rugged ridge), the fairlead ($25.00 to $50.00)= $550.00

Both are the same type of rope - Dyneema sk-75.

Is this the same type of rope that masterpull uses for its "winch rope":

http://www.masterpull.com/item.cfm?itemid=32002

That's 85ft of 3/8 rope for $306.94 plus shipping with no hook as far as the pictures show. Quite a bit more expensive.

Saw the rugged ridge stuff in person yesterday, and honestly it looks/feels fairly high quality.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have used Amsteel blue steel line. I have also used what ever came on my T-max back in the day. I loved and haded them both I think where i live now i would like it more. When I wheeled the most it was in the PNW with mud small twigs and little rock witch worked there way in the rope. I had much up keep to the rope the Cable is what I swapped to. I now have 3/8 cable on my winch just for safty sake.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I have used Amsteel blue steel line. I have also used what ever came on my T-max back in the day. I loved and haded them both I think where i live now i would like it more. When I wheeled the most it was in the PNW with mud small twigs and little rock witch worked there way in the rope. I had much up keep to the rope the Cable is what I swapped to. I now have 3/8 cable on my winch just for safty sake.

3/8ths steel cable? Is that what you're running now? Could you expand on your reasoning for going back to cable?

thanks!

98dango

Expedition Leader
My reason for going back is this. Fore where I lived when it was last time for a cable replacement it was the best choice. I had no way to cover my line from UV and I spend every weekend in the hills in the mud and sticks and rocks. The extra weight did not bother me at all. The rope is only safer is you keep up on it and keep it protected. Now that I no longer live there I will most likely go back to Amsteel line. My winch is now multi mount and used on 2 trucks kept inside the tool box. I have no problem with the rope of any brand as long as you take care of it rinse it all the time keep it out of the sun.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Any other comments on Dyneema or Dyneema vs. cable?

I'm going to be using the winch a lot for utility and light forestry/yard work. Plan on moving some rocks and some railroad ties around at some point, too.

I'm actually leaning towards staying with a high quality steel cable...

pfran42

Observer
Amsteel Blue is Dyneema and is made from SK-75 fiber. A lot of this is just marketing and branding:

"AmSteel-Blue is an upgrade design from Original AmSteel and it offers superior strength in the smaller sizes. AmSteel-Blue is available in a variety of sizes and colors by Special Order. Defender only stocks AmSteel-Blue in the color Gray and it can be purchased by the foot.
Samson's legendary single braid just got smaller! Samson's new AmSteel-Blue is now available in two new smaller diameters: 7/64" and 1/8." Made with Dyneema® SK-75 fiber and protected by a proprietary Samthane coating, AmSteel-Blue is always size-for-size stronger than wire at 1/7th the weight. No matter what size, AmSteel-Blue provides the ultimate in low stretch, lightweight strength, abrasion resistance and easy splicing.
"

Also,

"Dyneema and Spectra are both brand names for UHMWPE. The UHMWPE is Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene. The individual fibres are very thin but incredibly long and straight and this provides UHMWPE with its strength. Lots of different ropemakers(eg. Samson) buy the fibres from DSM who license dyneema, and then spin them into lovely braid which we know as Amsteel Blue. Amsteel blue is made from a specific type of fibre called SK75. There are other grades of dyneema too, such as sk78 as used in Samsons AS78 hollow braid."

After using both synthetic and wire, I would say synthetic is a no-brainer. It much easier to handle. lighter (it floats), it does not violently snap back if broken, and does not fray or kink. I would wager that if you asked 10 guys who have a lot of experience with both, 9 would say to go with synthetic.

Here are some other good links:

http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?const=12-Strand

http://www.samsonrope.com/site_files/HMPE_Rope_Comparison_-_Effects_of_Post_Production_Process.pdf

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...10001&storeId=11151&productId=38118&langId=-1

http://blog.promarkoffroad.com/category/synthetic-winch-rope/

98dango

Expedition Leader
I agree for 90% of the world its much better. Like I said ill go back when its time to change. I am also sure the rope has come farther in the last years.

86tuning

Adventurer
I'm running synthetic, would never go back to steel. Lighter, bare hands for handling, no kinks, and less likely to be lethal if/when broken.

Avoid powering out under load, which can heat up the drum enough to melt the rope. Some winches with external brakes are immune to this, but it's never a good idea. If you're trying to pull a tree out of the way, and it's stuck, and you've got to release the tension by powering out, do so, but don't power out any further than needed. This also reduces wear on your load-holding brake. Worm drive winches are the exception, of course.

Inspect your fairlead often. I check it each time before I go wheeling, and usually before each pull. Nicks in the fairlead need to be addressed RIGHT NOW.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
You can get the XRC8 Comp for less than that if you shop. 4WheelParts runs sales ---- they're in bed with Smitty and can blow the price out better than anyone.
I had one on my Jeep and it was great.

bat

Explorer
I just picked one up for $414.00 shipped with synthetic line, look for a coupon from stoorz and it will be from Streetside auto.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Dynema (SPectra) is not damaged by UV over it's working life. Steel is more effected by water (rust), broken wires in the weave, and is more dangerous in use. I would go with synthetic...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles