Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help determining Montero Purchase!!!

Sure thing, boss. If it helps, when they fail - at least on the 4G63 and 420A - they tend to report sub-freezing coolant temps, forcing the ECU into warm-up enrichment. Typically rears its head in spring or fall, when it's cold in the morning/evening/night, but warm in the afternoon. Engine starts fine cold, runs like a champ, but shut it off to do some shopping in the afternoon, and it runs like crap when you re-start warm, it's a good thing to check. Also tends to result in unburnt fuel (soot) above tailpipe.

HTH
    Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | 89 Pajero SWB 2.6 | Gearbox Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by DR1665 View Post
    Sure thing, boss. If it helps, when they fail - at least on the 4G63 and 420A - they tend to report sub-freezing coolant temps, forcing the ECU into warm-up enrichment. Typically rears its head in spring or fall, when it's cold in the morning/evening/night, but warm in the afternoon. Engine starts fine cold, runs like a champ, but shut it off to do some shopping in the afternoon, and it runs like crap when you re-start warm, it's a good thing to check. Also tends to result in unburnt fuel (soot) above tailpipe. HTH
    That's interesting. I do recall some folks posting problems with similar symptoms on one of the many forums I frequent. Montero started fine they stop at a store somewhere, then when they leave had issues with it running right. Same thing happened the following day.

1996 Montero SR (3.5L v6, rear Locker), 35" mudders, 3.15:1 xcase crawler gears
    Build Thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...su-build-up...
    1989 SWB Montero RS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 33" mudders (sold)
    1990 LWB Montero LS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 33" mudders (gave to rxinhed)
    1990 LWB Montero LS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 31" AT's (rolled 1st time I ever drove off road)

Could very well be the case. The biggest tip-off to these problems are people saying things like, "It runs fine until it warms up. Then it doesn't want to start any more." If nothing else seems awry, hook up an OBDII reader and check the CLT reading. If it's negative 45 degrees, it's a good bet. For those without OBD, there's always the old resistance check in cold/hot water, but for $20, if it's never been replaced, it's worth a shot, imo.
    Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | 89 Pajero SWB 2.6 | Gearbox Magazine

Hey Top Gun, give me a call and we can take my 2000 Montero out for a spin. I live next to Lagoon in Farmington. It only has 30K miles on it and it rides great. The best way to decide if you like Montero's is to drive them. While I have never owned a FJ100, I have been a Toyota Landcruiser guy through the years and I have owned two really nice fj80's with lockers. While both of my cruisers were great, I definitely prefer the Montero for several reasons which I have listed below. My father went offroading with the family yesterday and he commented several times how he liked the Gen II.5 Montero much better than my FJ80's. He spent about 3-4 hour behind the wheel and he just loved it and he owns nothing but Toyota's.

First, Montero seems to move much better than my Landcruisers did. While Monty has less torque, Mitsubishi makes up for any short comings in its gearing.
    Second, I get a lot better gas mileage in my Montero, Yesterday I went down and played along the San Rafael Swell clear down to Hanksville and I averaged 22mpg with 7 people and all our gear. My FJ80 never got better than 13-14mpg.
    Third, the transfercase has a 2wd High mode, which really helps for daily handling and it's much easier on tires and front end components. But it also has the AWD, 4hi and 4lo modes like the Land Cruisers.
    Forth, the Montero has considerably more leg room in the rear seat. The second row is actually comfortable, so if you carry passengers that may be a big consideration.
    Fifth, the spare tire is not located under the vehicle. This was a big issue on my Cruisers because the rear would drag on everything, even though I had a 3" lift and 33" tires. To get the tire out of the way will cost over $1500 on a Land Cruiser.
    Sixth, I think the drive train is stronger. The axles are larger than those on the Cruisers and the trannies are larger and shift much smoother. The trannies in the Montero shift sooo smooth. The trannies in my cruisers were always hunting for the right gear. The Monty engine is also much more refined than the 4.5L in my Cruisers.

Do get me wrong, I loved both of my FJ80's, but as far as an expedition rig goes, I would take the Montero every time. It more comfortable drive and ride in. It's also more reliable and it get much better gas mileage. Feel free to give me a call, I am just in Farmington and I will help you find a nice Monty.

Spence
    722-5517
    1985 Mitsubishi Pickup, 2.3L H.O. Turbo Diesel, Watercooled Turbo, $d56 Head, Custom '83 Injection pump, JK Rubicon axles w/elockers, 14" Fox Coilovers, Centerforce II, 5.0 Atlas II, ARB Bull Bar,

1983 Mitsubishi Pickup 4x4, Brand New 2.5L Turbo Diesel, Fully restored to stock specs.

2003 G-Class, Hutchison Beadlocks, BFG Rugged Terrain 235/85R/16, VTS spare wheel cover, CVT Mt. McKinley RTT (6 Man), CVT Awning, VTS Sliders, Baja Roof Rack, Baja Ladder, HiLift

2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI

Thank Spence, I sent you a text about potentially meeting this weekend. I would be glad to come up and take a gander at your ride! Especially if we could find one too!

I owned a 99 Landcruiser 100 series w/ lockers since it was new then sold it in 2003. Since I wanted to go offroading again and with a limited budget, I bought a 99 Montero gen 2.5 Winter package. I was getting 12.5 mpg combined on my L/C 15 all highway, 14.5 mpg combined on the Monty 17.5 all highway. The Landcruiser had more power since it had a V8 engine, for me it handled better on and off road, it was more comfortable and an extensive aftermarket support BUT I did not have the money to pay for what the 100 series demands in the market especially with the lockers. So since you are in a budget, the Montero is a very capable off road vehicle plus it is unique and looks super cool dressed up. Yesterday I saw a silver Montero drove by in my neighborhood and briefly thought it was Offroader's because it was lifted, big tires w/ aftermarket wheels, lights and roof rack and my whole family looked back and said it was pure eye candy.
    Last edited by nikosan; 04-06-2012 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nikosan View Post
    Yesterday I saw a silver Montero drove by in my neighborhood and briefly thought it was Offroader's because it was lifted, big tires w/ aftermarket wheels, lights and roof rack and my whole family looked back and said it was pure eye candy.
    Where was that? I was driving around yesterday. Took BART to SF to get my passport and then to Modesto to the mall there.

1990 LWB Montero LS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 31" AT's (rolled 1st time I ever drove off road)

I live in Burlingame and saw the truck coming from the 101 overpass to Broadway Ave past 7pm. It must be you then because the truck was definitely hot.

No that couldn't have been me. I took BART into the city from the Dublin/Pleasanton. By 7:00 pm I was in the central valley picking up a new suit in Modesto for a business trip coming up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12