Tent Ground Tarp - canvas or polyethylene?

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I recently purchased a Kodiak Canvas tent, and am getting ready to use it.

Even though it has a fairly heavy bottom and probably does not need one, I would like to use a ground tarp - to protect the tent from sharp edges, keep the mud off of it, etc.

Kodiak makes a poly tarp and Springbar makes a canvas one (which is heavier than the poly.)

I have always used poly with my lightweight nylon tent.

Is there an advantage to the heavier canvas tarp, or is a poly one sufficient? (I realize a blue tarp is an option, too, but they don't quite fit the footprint of the tent.)

Thanks.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I got a 10x14 kodiak recently
I am going to get the canvas one from springbar want to use it inside for my dogs nails though :)

another option is shade cloth you can get it in any size pretty much also its cheap and tough shakes off easy and still provides puncture protection and its silent

I dont like poly below me cause it can have a crunchy noise sometimes

barlowrs

Explorer
I have not used anything with my Kodiak and it has stood up just fine. Though its probably not a bad idea to use something, as stated above, the canvas would probably be my choice for noise. (Love the tent btw, just make sure you pack a few good hammers for stake driving abilities).

Honu

lost on the mainland
never thought of a painters drop cloth for inside :) is it thick enough to lay flat ? or does it catch at all when walking ?

might have to look into that

loren85022

Explorer
We use a poly under an awning. Best feature is the cleanup. We toss it on a wrought iron fence and water blast - clean as new!

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I decided to get the poly tarp from Kodiak. A few dollars more than a "blue tarp", but it is sized to the tent and has stake loops in each corner - which I think are a good idea. (We shall see!)

I did speak with Kodiak's customer service, and he said you don't really need a ground tarp with this style tent. As I mentioned, I would rather use one.

Anxiously awaiting my first night in the tent (12 days to go!)

Honu

lost on the mainland
cool would love to hear your thoughts when you get it ? is it crunchy under etc.. :)

maxingout

Adventurer
We always used a blue tarp under our tents in Saudi Arabia because of the scorpions.

When we put a canvas tarp under our tent, we almost always had one or two scorpions hanging on to the canvas and had to shake them off when we folded the canvas.

The blue tarp never had scorpions underneath it. Apparently the smooth blue plastic tarps are slick enough that there is nothing for the scorpions to grab on to, and so they never stuck around under the tarp. We used the blue tarp to have scorpion free tent camping.

I wonder what the experience is with people in the American southwest. Do people find scorpions under their plastic blue tarps?

Honu

lost on the mainland
I hate scorpions :)
interesting about the plastic ? I have seen them around camp not under the tent area yet ?

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
We currently use a roof tent but I think if I were to go back to the ground tent I would use a 'kennel shade cover' it's porous and will not hold water under the tent and if extended in front of the tent gives you a 'porch' area. We use one under the awning. Sand and water fall right through.
Cabelas sells them and will make custom sizes.

Honu

lost on the mainland
gunnslinger that is shade cloth like I use :)
not sure if you ever seen the %90 but nice and thick

I use some %70 with the trailer and have for a while
kinda plan on keeping it up with the ground tent also but might switch to the %90 for under it

nice thing also if you run it out a foot or so wider than you would with a footprint when it rains the tent does not get nearly as dirty from the rain bouncing up on it

web.jpg
another great use is to run it with some poles upright makes a super great windbreak for camp and if around others can offer privacy to :) I love shade cloth kinda one of those things I go overboard on :) hehehehe
but saw the vert stuff used a lot in Africa campgrounds and a few OZ ones on some forums

plus it blocks the low angle sun and keeps things much cooler with the vert wall

I did pick up a sheet of the CGear stuff to test out kinda a double layer shade cloth used in helicopter landing pads originally got a 10x10 to use as our cook area see how it works compared to the shade cloth

still want to lay down a canvas inside though or something for the kids and dog nails

Last edited:

dirty Bakers

Conservative
The painters cloth must likely will bunch up but we don't walkt around in our tent alot, we just sleep or nap there. I want to get some shade screen for in front of the tent and the cooking area. Come to think of it I have seen more scorpions at my house and especially work then I ever have while camping, never have I seen them under my tent. We had a tarantula enter our tent once.

Joel.DeLaCruz

I recently purchased a Kodiak Canvas tent, and am getting ready to use it.

Even though it has a fairly heavy bottom and probably does not need one, I would like to use a ground tarp - to protect the tent from sharp edges, keep the mud off of it, etc.

Kodiak makes a poly tarp and Springbar makes a canvas one (which is heavier than the poly.)

I have always used poly with my lightweight nylon tent.

Is there an advantage to the heavier canvas tarp, or is a poly one sufficient? (I realize a blue tarp is an option, too, but they don't quite fit the footprint of the tent.)

Thanks.

I would say that the Poly Tarp is a nice choice because it is light weight and cheaper than the canvas, but in the long run the canvas tarp will last a lot longer. both would work fine though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier