rear end spec question

beerhiker

Adventurer
04 Tacoma Double Cab TRD;
Investigating a noise coming from backend, still unsure if its suspension or axle related.
Anyway, with rear wheels unweighted, and pushing and pulling on tire with 2 hands im getting some movement of maybe a 1/8" on passenger side and much less on drivers, is this normal?

The noise; sometimes when I take a right hand turn into say a driveway or entrance, Im getting a clunk sound when the rear passenger side suspension unloads or articulates. Does not do it on straight on bumps or dips only when gets twisted up a bit, so driver compressed, pass un-weighted, make sense? Does not do it on flat right turns.

It sound like its coming from frame or bed but I have checked springs, shocks, body mounts, etc....the wheel movement is only thing Im questioning

any ideas?

Thanks

Owyhee H

Adventurer
Is the wheel moving independent of the axle housing or with the axle housing. If it is independent then you have a bac wheel bearing. If the whole axle housing is moving then start looking for loose bolts/ worn bushings in the suspension and shock. Also check the bolts on the back side of the brake drum to make sure those are tight and the axle dosent pull away, do this before seeing if it is wheel bearings. This should give you more info for finding the root cause.

Good Luck

beerhiker

Adventurer
moving indpendent, Ill pull the wheel this weekend and take a look. Wheel bearing change a garage DIY with basic tools?

Thanks

dyogim

Explorer
moving indpendent, Ill pull the wheel this weekend and take a look. Wheel bearing change a garage DIY with basic tools?

Thanks

Yes and no. The hard part is removing the bearing cause, it's pressed on the axle shaft. Along with the retainer. You can remove it using a shadetree method but, it could possibly problems to the shaft. I've done it both ways with no issues using the shadetree way. However, I don't recommend it.

Do you have a rear sway bar? Could one of the top nut of the shocks be loose?

BMThiker

SE Expedition Society
I would check all the suspension bushings to see if one might be warped/deformed and is causing the spring pack to rotate in an unwanted fashion while under articulation. The other thing you might try is rotating the left spring pack for the right spring pack. Not an easy job, but sometimes breaking things down reveals unseen issues.

beerhiker

Adventurer
Rear leafs are right/left specific, and only a year old, visually all bushings look fine from what I can see of them. Going to pull wheel tomorrow see if anything obvious.
Can anyone tell me what kind of play in/out is acceptable on the axle shaft?

Last edited:

Owyhee H

Adventurer
If the wheel has play that is independent from the axle housing, check to see if it is different than the opposite side. If it is different then you should be able to trace the problem to the backing/brake/bearing area. If you do determine it is in that area then take the drum off the brake and inspect eveything. Make sure the bolt are tight on the backing plate which holds the axle in again. If there is still play pull the axle and have the bearing replaced. Replacing the bearing is easiest if you can drop it off at a machine shop with the new bearing and have them press on/off.

I dont think there should be play of any kind in and out at the wheel surface so that would be an indication of the problem. Bearings can fail in weird ways even though its not common, it can happen.

Let us know what you find.

Remote

Observer
Rear leafs are right/left specific, and only a year old, visually all bushings look fine from what I can see of them. Going to pull wheel tomorrow see if anything obvious.
Can anyone tell me what kind of play in/out is acceptable on the axle shaft?

Max "in and out" movement Toyota spec is .7mm or .028", at least it is on a 99. If you actually have a full 1/8" the bearing is a disaster waiting to happen.
The press job should be done with a special fixture and if you have ABS, the parts bill can get up there. The shade tree method can work but it is pretty risky. Best to read up on it in the FSM before DIY.
I made up this fixture from scrap steel. Other folks have made them up from an old axle tube.

SST-1.jpg

SST2-1.jpg

beerhiker

Adventurer
Pulled everything apart, doesnt seem to be the movement in there I saw before...all looks good, guess Ill just hang tight see if it gets worse or if am able to replicate sound in garage to help narrow it down. Sitting tight for now

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles