Thread: Leaving from Alaska to the "End of the World"

I wish this was any other winter and I'd be going with you! Fortunately, while the Mayans may have been avauntgarde astronomers, I don't have any reason to suspect they had any real prophetic gift. I strongly suspect there will be opportunities beyond 2012 for cool trips!

My comment is in consideration of the idea of convoying into Mexico. This is a great idea... I know we wished we had a buddy vehicle along with us for that portion.. but if the convoy gets too big, say more than 2-3 cars, I think you might bottle neck a little at the border. We left AZ early morning from about 40miles north of the border. By the time we secured Mexican auto insurance, dealt with the border crossing, then stopped for our vehicle carnet/customs, changed some money, we didn't make it to our planned campsite until evening. Some of those stops were just a matter of waiting in a line one vehicle at a time so if there's 3 parties traveling together it will take 3x as long.

Do you guys know where you're crossing the border?

Have fun (jealous)!
    '70 SIIA 109 Carawagon

Bought and bolt-on is not a "build"

Mexican insurance is easy, you can get it before hand and save yourself some trouble there. i think we are very well aware of the fact the world is not ending lol. i was thinking of possibly running a fundraising/charity campaign for this trip maybe slogan "the world may not end as the Mayans predict, but for someone in poverty it may feel like it is" but thats TBA.

AKA ROVER, when do you wish to cross the border? i would be down for making a team, where you wanting to go through mainland mexico or go down baja and take the ferry? fire me a PM so we can start working on some plans.

Cody im not sure yet on crossing the boarder and where? what do you think? I was talking with Josh tonite and he went in from Arizona. I will P.M. you about this, im getting ready to get on the boat for the summer and will have limited internet. So I will be checking in when I can.
    Make your time count "AS YOU CAN'T COUNT ON TIME"

Quote Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
    Cody im not sure yet on crossing the boarder and where? what do you think? I was talking with Josh tonite and he went in from Arizona. I will P.M. you about this, im getting ready to get on the boat for the summer and will have limited internet. So I will be checking in when I can.
    sounds like a plan, yacht or do you work on the water for a living? im not sure where i want to cross, i might drive the baja since i had to cancel that trip last month, but i guess it depends as we only have about 5 days to a week to get down there.

Im thinking we should meet somewhere on the cali coast and drive into mexico as a team or convoy. This way it gives everyone a date to meet and we can all go to that point at our own pace. That way time restrictions for some wont be a problem. The important part is we travel in togather I think.

Just a thought.

I will be going down thru Cabo and taking a ferry to Mazatlan if you guys want to tag along LMK

Quote Originally Posted by SEETHEWORLD349 View Post
    I will be going down thru Cabo and taking a ferry to Mazatlan if you guys want to tag along LMK
    PM on its way

MattScott is offline Expedition Portal Team
    Expedition Portal Moderator
    Writing Enthusiast.
    Let's talk as things get closer, we could convoy and share parts!
    Matthew Scott
    Field Editor, Expedition Portal
    I drive a Jeep.

Sounds good guys! im excited to having the rover done and getting a parts list that we can all share.

I was thinking a HIGH POWERED magnet on the front bumper of the trailing Rover so we don't leave good parts laying on the roadway.

Looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I wish this was any other winter and I'd be going with you! Fortunately, while the Mayans may have been avauntgarde astronomers, I don't have any reason to suspect they had any real prophetic gift. I strongly suspect there will be opportunities beyond 2012 for cool trips!

My comment is in consideration of the idea of convoying into Mexico. This is a great idea... I know we wished we had a buddy vehicle along with us for that portion.. but if the convoy gets too big, say more than 2-3 cars, I think you might bottle neck a little at the border. We left AZ early morning from about 40miles north of the border. By the time we secured Mexican auto insurance, dealt with the border crossing, then stopped for our vehicle carnet/customs, changed some money, we didn't make it to our planned campsite until evening. Some of those stops were just a matter of waiting in a line one vehicle at a time so if there's 3 parties traveling together it will take 3x as long.

Do you guys know where you're crossing the border?

Have fun (jealous)!
    Josh thanks for your insite on this. You know there's still time to prep for this trip.. your Rover is closer to being ready than mine.

Josh thanks for your insite on this. You know there's still time to prep for this trip.. your Rover is closer to being ready than mine.
    I'm flattered that you'd have me, Ed! If I weren't trying to get this house built we'd be all over it!

How about this: Why don't you use this opportunity as a scouting trip for Alaska-Mexico Land Rover Adventure 2014? It's still a dream of mine to wallow down a jungle track and I'd sure like to do it alongside an expert like yourself!
    Last edited by Josh; 04-21-2012 at 07:29 AM.
    '70 SIIA 109 Carawagon

Bought and bolt-on is not a "build"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast