Leaving from Alaska to the "End of the World"

aka rover

Adventurer
Just thought I would see if there is anyone in the north west headed down and when? We would like to maybe meet up and travel down as a convoy.

We can meet up anywhere along the way Canada to California, dates dependent and if anyone in Alaska is going and needs some help preping a rig I would be willing to lend A hand if needed.

Cody1771

Explorer
Might be something i'd be intrested in depending on the route and how "offroad" you are planning on going. me and the Wife have 3 weeks off in December and would like to do something really cool. did you have anything in Mind?

oh yeah you can email me at cody_mcmillan at hotmail dot com if you want to get ahold of me on a more regular basis.

aka rover

Adventurer
Hi Cody

Untill I see more about whats in store for the scavenger hunt Im not 100% sure yet. Im thinking we will be not doing anything extreme as we want to make it the End.

What are you thinking about driving?

Ed

Cody1771

Explorer
not really sure yet, i was thinking about taking my bike but i might do it in the X5 if i can get it prepped in time, my biggest concern is parts availability. i dont even know if this is plausable yet since we where planning on going to Europe, which may or may not happen depending on funds as we are looking to buy a house in the enxt few months.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
As for the hunt - not sure how to best answer this as the actual items will be kept secret until the beginning but it will all be doable in a normal 2wd car and will be some fun stuff such as visiting a Tequila factory or a remote secret beach...

We will most likely have some special sections for 4x4 but totally optional

Hi Cody

Untill I see more about whats in store for the scavenger hunt Im not 100% sure yet. Im thinking we will be not doing anything extreme as we want to make it the End.

What are you thinking about driving?

Ed

Cody1771

Explorer
As for the hunt - not sure how to best answer this as the actual items will be kept secret until the beginning but it will all be doable in a normal 2wd car and will be some fun stuff such as visiting a Tequila factory or a remote secret beach...

We will most likely have some special sections for 4x4 but totally optional

thats good to know. sure would be a cool trip!

Cody1771

Explorer
Sounds like a fun time!! Im looking forward to the trip.

I've looked into this a little more and i was thinking of giving myself a week to get to Mexico, Google Maps says its a 48 hour drive so that leaves some time to take it easy and enjoy it, the rally last a week and it would give me 5-7 days to get home as i only have about 3 weeks tops to do this. what where you thinking of doing? I dont mind pushing a little harder if thats what you where thinking IE make it down in say 4 days but i cant extend it any longer. i'd prefer to go in a convoy as i know my wife will be iffy on security especially driving in a luxury SUV (even if it is over 11 years old...)

aka rover

Adventurer
I've looked into this a little more and i was thinking of giving myself a week to get to Mexico, Google Maps says its a 48 hour drive so that leaves some time to take it easy and enjoy it, the rally last a week and it would give me 5-7 days to get home as i only have about 3 weeks tops to do this. what where you thinking of doing? I dont mind pushing a little harder if thats what you where thinking IE make it down in say 4 days but i cant extend it any longer. i'd prefer to go in a convoy as i know my wife will be iffy on security especially driving in a luxury SUV (even if it is over 11 years old...)

Im thinking we should meet somewhere on the cali coast and drive into mexico as a team or convoy. This way it gives everyone a date to meet and we can all go to that point at our own pace. That way time restrictions for some wont be a problem. The important part is we travel in togather I think.

Just a thought.

Cody1771

Explorer
Im thinking we should meet somewhere on the cali coast and drive into mexico as a team or convoy. This way it gives everyone a date to meet and we can all go to that point at our own pace. That way time restrictions for some wont be a problem. The important part is we travel in togather I think.

Just a thought.

agreed this might work pefectly, i get off this ship on APril 25th, i will be going over a route plan with the wife and try to divert her from the initial Europe plan, if thats a go then begines the vehicle prep. ive already been emailing back and forth to get some of the weaker BMW suspension parts rebuilt in chromoly :D

Josh

Adventurer
I wish this was any other winter and I'd be going with you! Fortunately, while the Mayans may have been avauntgarde astronomers, I don't have any reason to suspect they had any real prophetic gift. I strongly suspect there will be opportunities beyond 2012 for cool trips!

My comment is in consideration of the idea of convoying into Mexico. This is a great idea... I know we wished we had a buddy vehicle along with us for that portion.. but if the convoy gets too big, say more than 2-3 cars, I think you might bottle neck a little at the border. We left AZ early morning from about 40miles north of the border. By the time we secured Mexican auto insurance, dealt with the border crossing, then stopped for our vehicle carnet/customs, changed some money, we didn't make it to our planned campsite until evening. Some of those stops were just a matter of waiting in a line one vehicle at a time so if there's 3 parties traveling together it will take 3x as long.

Do you guys know where you're crossing the border?

Have fun (jealous)!

Cody1771

Explorer
Mexican insurance is easy, you can get it before hand and save yourself some trouble there. i think we are very well aware of the fact the world is not ending lol. i was thinking of possibly running a fundraising/charity campaign for this trip maybe slogan "the world may not end as the Mayans predict, but for someone in poverty it may feel like it is" but thats TBA.

AKA ROVER, when do you wish to cross the border? i would be down for making a team, where you wanting to go through mainland mexico or go down baja and take the ferry? fire me a PM so we can start working on some plans.

aka rover

Adventurer
Cody im not sure yet on crossing the boarder and where? what do you think? I was talking with Josh tonite and he went in from Arizona. I will P.M. you about this, im getting ready to get on the boat for the summer and will have limited internet. So I will be checking in when I can.

Cody1771

Explorer
Cody im not sure yet on crossing the boarder and where? what do you think? I was talking with Josh tonite and he went in from Arizona. I will P.M. you about this, im getting ready to get on the boat for the summer and will have limited internet. So I will be checking in when I can.

sounds like a plan, yacht or do you work on the water for a living? im not sure where i want to cross, i might drive the baja since i had to cancel that trip last month, but i guess it depends as we only have about 5 days to a week to get down there.

Just a thought.

I will be going down thru Cabo and taking a ferry to Mazatlan if you guys want to tag along LMK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles