Leaving from Alaska to the "End of the World"

aka rover

Adventurer
Sounds good guys! im excited to having the rover done and getting a parts list that we can all share.

I was thinking a HIGH POWERED magnet on the front bumper of the trailing Rover so we don't leave good parts laying on the roadway.:sombrero:

Looking forward to this.

aka rover

Adventurer
I wish this was any other winter and I'd be going with you! Fortunately, while the Mayans may have been avauntgarde astronomers, I don't have any reason to suspect they had any real prophetic gift. I strongly suspect there will be opportunities beyond 2012 for cool trips!

My comment is in consideration of the idea of convoying into Mexico. This is a great idea... I know we wished we had a buddy vehicle along with us for that portion.. but if the convoy gets too big, say more than 2-3 cars, I think you might bottle neck a little at the border. We left AZ early morning from about 40miles north of the border. By the time we secured Mexican auto insurance, dealt with the border crossing, then stopped for our vehicle carnet/customs, changed some money, we didn't make it to our planned campsite until evening. Some of those stops were just a matter of waiting in a line one vehicle at a time so if there's 3 parties traveling together it will take 3x as long.

Do you guys know where you're crossing the border?

Have fun (jealous)!

Josh thanks for your insite on this. You know there's still time to prep for this trip.. your Rover is closer to being ready than mine.

Josh

Adventurer
Josh thanks for your insite on this. You know there's still time to prep for this trip.. your Rover is closer to being ready than mine.

I'm flattered that you'd have me, Ed! If I weren't trying to get this house built we'd be all over it!

How about this: Why don't you use this opportunity as a scouting trip for Alaska-Mexico Land Rover Adventure 2014? It's still a dream of mine to wallow down a jungle track and I'd sure like to do it alongside an expert like yourself!

Last edited:

aka rover

Adventurer
Josh

There is still time to get you and your Rover ready! With Matt in Ralph and yours we would have three Series trucks on the trek.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
yep Josh - get this Land Rover going! This is going to be so much fun - I seriously think it could be one of the craziest adventure the Expo members have done!

:)

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I'm in... maybe liking the idea of going down through baja and ferrying over to the "mainland"...unless of course you guys wanna do Copper Canyon...i just dare any banditos to try and mess with a convoy of us...LOL...

kbeefy

Adventurer
I'm in... maybe liking the idea of going down through baja and ferrying over to the "mainland"...unless of course you guys wanna do Copper Canyon...i just dare any banditos to try and mess with a convoy of us...LOL...

Where are you meeting up w/ the AK crew?

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I'm thinking of driving up to prudhoe bay so depending on their schedule vs ours maybe up around there.. But I think we will be traveling south from Alaska too early for them as we want to zig zag down hitting the national parks etc. as it gets closer I guess we will all see where our itinerary lays..

aka rover

Adventurer
I would like to talk more about copper canyon. What is you time frame for leaving Alaska . I would like to hook up at some point to travel into Mexico with you guys. I can be ready early November to head out.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Hey Ed.. Don't really have a time frame in mind.. Was thinking of heading through Alaska before it gets too cold although I do wanna try out my webasto heater system..lol..going to meander down the west coast and go over the mountains to yellowstone and Yosemite etc so I could see my trip from Alaska taking a month or near... Wanna leave a couple of extra days for copper canyon and I wanted to call in and see a couple of friends in Santa fe before heading into Mexico..copper canyon is directly below Phoenix I believe so now the problem becomes a decision between copper canyon or cabo...????.. Hmmm.. Maybe Christmas in cabo after the rally..

kbeefy

Adventurer
Bought a rig on the mainland for this, gonna meet up with aka rover Washington area, we'll see what happens after that!

%255BUNSET%255D

%5BUNSET%5D

Vasir

Village Idiot
very nice, i have a soft spot for syncros. still trying to figure out what vehicle i want use for this dependant on how long i want to stay/how i wanna do this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles