Livin Lite Truck campers

dags

Adventurer
Hi

I'm shopping for a hard sided camper and i'm thinking of a living lite 5.7 for a tacoma. Anyone have experience with or opinions on the truck campers?

haven

Expedition Leader
The Livin Lite web site says the 5.7 model weighs almost 1000 lb. That's light for a hard side camper, but still a big load for a truck with a cargo capacity of 1200 lb. Soft sided campers like Four Wheel Campers weigh around 700 lb for a similar size.

dags

Adventurer
The Livin Lite web site says the 5.7 model weighs almost 1000 lb. That's light for a hard side camper, but still a big load for a truck with a cargo capacity of 1200 lb. Soft sided campers like Four Wheel Campers weigh around 700 lb for a similar size.

I had wondered the same thing, seems like all the hard sided campers push the weight very close to the vehicles load capacity. I'm curently comparing options - the FWC eagle is up there on the list. Problem is living in Atlanta its also impossible to look at a FWC in person!

Rockwarrior68

Spent the last two days shopping for a Living Lite 6.8. After trying to deal with 5 dealers to purchase one, I have decided to buy a Lance. The people I talked to had NO product knowledge. Two dealerships told they were not dealers even though they are on Living Lite site. I called the factory to try and buy direct and was directed to one of the dealers I had already called. The factory guy told me to talk to so and so " he's great". Salesmen come and go. Its the dealership that counts. I think it is sad that the factory guy did not contact my local dealer to help with the sale. Not good business in this day and age. Total opposite with Lance.

cwsqbm

Explorer
I had wondered the same thing, seems like all the hard sided campers push the weight very close to the vehicles load capacity. I'm curently comparing options - the FWC eagle is up there on the list. Problem is living in Atlanta its also impossible to look at a FWC in person!

FWC does make the Eagle in a hard side too - of course, its also about a 1000 lbs.

lotsip

I'm in the same boat as you.....'12 tacoma and have found a good deal on a 5.7 Camplite in NH, only three hours from me,,,,,just not sure my truck can handle it safely, even with air bags........have spoken with the FWC dealer in Wisconsin, its like 20K with what i want and a longgggggg drive. have also considered the northstar 600ss

DesertJK

Adventurer
I have a Liv'n lite toy hauler with a queen size pop-out. Weights 2000, tow very well even behind my gutless JK. When I get me a Dodge cummins truck, it will tow like it's not even there.
The dealer led me to believe they were the manufacturer. My plan was to drive to Arkansas from Bend Oregon and pick it up. One day before I left, they informed me the trailer was being built it Indiana and thats where I would pick it up. Screwed up the trip I had planned. We wanted to tour the deep south and listen to country music and blues in legendary old clubs, like the 40 watt.

Opon picking up my trailer, about half of the stuff I asked for was not installed. Also, options I wanted but was told couldn't be done could have been installed acording to the factory.

I still like the trailer, but it is still a work in progress due to stuff they left out. The quality is much much better than any others I looked at, it is very light for a tandem axle 14 foot toy hualer with a gross weight of 7000 pounds, and it has held up to 1000's of mile of gravel with very few things comming loose. The onle real problem I have had was snow load (like 3 feet of it, plus ice) distorting the roof and causing some leaks. Since then I reinforced the roof with diamond plate and can now walk on it with my 200 pound body while wearing boots.

D.

lotsip

So undecided.......Camplite 5.7, hard side, about 1000 DW, i can get one for 11.4K in NH, in stock.......or FWC, great product, a tad lighter, way more expensive, like 20k, like 1200 mile drive to Wisconsin to get it, or Outfitters Caribou light 6.5, 775 DW, 15K including air bags.....big problem is 4K to ship here, or drive to CO to get it.............OR just get a popup and tow it and get all the features i want, no weight worries , ever.........the Tacoma can tow 6500 lbs with my tow package. A local RV place has used 2010 rockwood freedom ltd's (they were rentals for 3 seasons) for 5200 bucks, with 30 day warrantee.

lotsip

Finally decided...

Finally decided a tag along trailer would be my best possible solution.

Bought a Forest River a122, hard side pop up. http://www.chesacorv.com/web/vehicle_photos/3053032/

10K, out the door, from local rv place in mass., weighs only 2000 lbs, packed with everything i need....and then some !

Just felt my Tacoma was not build for a truck camper, because of the weight........looked into all the lightweight soft sided slide ins...still heavy when u get a few options and load it with water and supplies, etc.

jepeck

I have a camplite 5.7 on a 2012 Toyota Tacoma. It's a pretty bare camper, without any propane, heat, or air conditioner. I also replaced the electric refrigerator with an ice box and modified the step by the bed to stow a porta potti. I first tried the unit with a 4cyl regular cab tacoma automatic, with an extra oil cooler, a sway bar, tork lift camper mounts, and a rear sway bar. In spring 2012 we took it on a trip of about 3000 miles, from northern michigan south through the blue ridge mountains in N. Carolina, Virginia and back. The truck handled everything fine, including the mountains, except it was very underpowered in some situations, such as on long hills on the freeway. After the trip I switched trucks for a new 2012 Tacoma V6 auto with towing package. I transferred the tork lifts, air lifts, and sway bar to the new truck. In fall 2012 we took another trip of about 8000 miles from N Michigan to Nova Scotia and back through Ontario, upstate New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and New Brunswick. We travelled mostly on two lane paved roads, but did some expressways and even some dirt roads in N. Maine near Baxter State Park. There were some steep long climbs and a couple of ferries included. The rig handled great and had plenty of power. I know that I am close to or even slightly above the load capacity for the truck including my wife and I gear, so we are careful about packing and weight distribution. We averaged 15-16mpg over the whole trip. One disappointment was that the rig was a few inches two high and a few inches too wide to enter Baxter State Park. Next time we'll be better prepared to leave the camper in a nearby campground.

rangerdogg

Adventurer
Thanks jepeck,Im thinking about one for my ranger also have the 4.0 and they sell them 2hrs forom me in nh ,They look decent for money cant finf popups around here for small trucks and fwc are far away also . But i havebeen thinking about maybe a fwc popup shell .Im a contractor so building int is not a problem .I was wondering how spacious it feels inside also and how do you feel bout quality. I also like the ext and interrior just metal floor i dont care for..Any other info and thoughts would be great and if you have pic inside and out and on truck

Last edited:

jepeck

Camplite 5.7 pictures

Thanks jepeck,Im thinking about one for my ranger also have the 4.0 and they sell them 2hrs forom me in nh ,They look decent for money cant finf popups around here for small trucks and fwc are far away also . But i havebeen thinking about maybe a fwc popup shell .Im a contractor so building int is not a problem .I was wondering how spacious it feels inside also and how do you feel bout quality. I also like the ext and interrior just metal floor i dont care for..Any other info and thoughts would be great and if you have pic inside and out and on truck

Here are a few pictures taken last fall, Rangerdogg. They're mostly from the outside, but there is one view of the inside from the rear. I've made a few modifications which you might see if you look close. First is the Yeti cooler, which slides back into the space where the electric refrigerator used to be. We found that we didn't often like to go where there were electric hookups anyway, and that the refrigerator didn't work off the 12 volt battery anyway. The Yeti cooler is expensive but keeps ice for several days and is very sturdy. Note the porta potti under the shelf. I had to make a new shelf/step to make it fit. We also keep a small cooler in the cab with us. While I was doing this I also made a few custom shelves for the cabinets to make better use of the space for our purposes.

One problem with the all aluminium construction is that there can be condensation, such as under the matress and anyplace where the bedding touches the walls. Also the carpeting inevitably (maybe it's just us) gets wet and is hard to dry out. To fix this I covered the matress platform and the floor with cut to fit closed cell foam tiles like the ones used in gym floors. The material is easy to work with, reasonably priced, and easy to sweep out. It solved most of the moisture issue in the bed area, though you can still get a bit around the sides at times. Maybe I'll eventually extend the material a bit up the sides as well. This winter we added a double queen size sleeping bag to fit the matress which should make bed making a little less work.

The space inside is very compact (think a 42 X 60 floor area with a seat on one side and cabinets and counter on the other, but worked well for the two of us. A small child could fit on the seat, but and adult would be cramped at best. We seldom eat inside unless it's raining or if we're just stopping along the road for lunch. Note that there is a folding Kelty awning in one of the pictures. It fits over a picnic table when open and stores in the space between the camper and the box when folded. A couple of compact chairs and some other gear also fits in this space. After a month on the road last fall we were really into it and hated to trip end. I think we could have gone on indefinitely.

We have not used the folding table which came with the unit. For us it doesn't work well inside and gets in the way at roadside stops. We have also not used the water container or sink. We keep a couple of gallons of drinking water in a container which stows under the cooler shelf with the porta potti. Eventually the sink and plumbing may come out to shave a bit more weight and add some counter space.

If you haven't got it yet, we really like the camper. It's easy to drive around once you get used to the idea of not being able to see out of the back. You can pretty much park in normal spaces, which is especially easy with the built in back up camera which comes on the Tacoma. On my 4wd truck, though, it's over nine feet high, so you need to be aware of that.

Let me know if you have more questions.

John

Attachments

• P8264833.jpg
    P8264833.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 82
  • P8264835.jpg
    P8264835.jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 82
  • P9045093.jpg
    P9045093.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 72