Full-Size Pick Ups, Builds, Ideas, and Trips.

clandr1

Adventurer
I haven't read all 14 pages, but a "must have" in my opinion is an isolated battery setup. Eventually you will want to run additional electronics (CB, HAM, fridge, camp shower, camp lighting) and having an auxiliary battery is nice so you can keep your primary/starting battery safe and used only for starting the truck. Even if you don't have any accessories/devices right now, having an additional battery to jump yourself in case your primary dies is a blessing. It's one of the first things I did on my adventure rig and it's come in handy a few times.

Other than that, some good recovery gear (strap, D-rings, tow rope, etc) are good insurance in case your truck breaks down or gets stuck. You don't need to spend big money on a winch and bumper.

Communication is key - I got my HAM tech license a few years ago and love having a mobile rig in my truck. Makes me feel better about having a good means of communication in case an emergency occurs and I'm outside of cell coverage. To give you an idea, your basic GMRS/FRS radio you can buy at Walmart transmits at around 1W (3W max). HAM radios commonly transmit in the 50W-75W range. With a good vehicle mounted antenna, and the right elevation/terrain, you can easily communicate for 30 miles.

Last edited:

Txsilverado09

SGTTOM my truck started just like yours. 3 years later and it's still a work in progress.

3.5" font lift 3" rear
Cattleman Brush Guard
Rigid LED Bar and Spots
Camper Shell
Separate Fuse Block for Accessories
Hidden front winch mount and winch (still in boxes)
Lowered T-Case
N-Fab Bars
LED Camper Lights
BFG AT KO's in 305/65/18 plus matching spare

Unfortunately not as many public places in Texas to go though compared to where you've been. Couple pictures from Mustang Island National Widllife Area in Padre and one crappy cell picture of how the truck sits now.pic 4.jpgpic 3.jpgpic 2.jpgpic 1.JPG

rfroy

Observer
Some really cool full-size rigs in this tread. Mine is kinda of redundant of old threads but here she goes….

Nevermind the flip flops….it was 80 degrees when we left town
6224943515_1dc9a28fea_b.jpg

Tons of trip pictures at my Flickr link.

Something that I learned ant an early age living in Colorado - In the summer time you take your parka and winter boots with you when you go into the high country!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Something that I learned ant an early age living in Colorado - In the summer time you take your parka and winter boots with you when you go into the high country!

Oh, I had plenty of warm clothes with me. Like you say, living here you must pack for warm and cold weather which I always do when headed to the high country. I was still wearing my driving clothes from when we left Pueblo in that picture :sombrero:

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
2012 Power Wagon here:
muddy_zps58b003fd.jpg

Stock it has lockers front and rear, 12k winch, full skids plates, and lots of other goodies. To that I added Aluminess sliders, Carli 2.5 Performance with MIG'ed/mild control arms, fabbed towers, replacement rear Deavers, Thuren Shackles, and 37" MTR Kevlars on the stock rims. Future plans are front and rear tube bumpers, and a bed cage.

Most important things to me:
ROCK SLIDERS!!!! They were my first mod! Us low sitting full size rig drivers need rock sliders, BAD!!!! Keep our rockers off rocks and doors off trees!
SKID PLATES- for the same reason- our poor break over angle. I have had the truck high centered several times!
RECOVERY GEAR- winch, snatch block, something to weigh down the winch line (in case of snapping), tree saver strap, good recovery points on the truck, tow straps (multiple, I've had one snap before, now I bring two heavier duty ones (maybe three)), D-rings, a shovel, etc. I've had to use the winch many a time, especially because of high centering my truck, DOH!!!
FIRST AID KIT and FIRE EXTINGUISHER

SGTTOM, I want to add: AWESOME pics!!! Looks like you are having a lot of fun with your truck already!!!! I wish I had that kind of scenery to go wheeling in!!! I (regrettably) have yet to truly go on an expedition style trip with my truck, I have just gone on day trips to trail systems within hours of my house. Fortunately I live near (1-2 hours) a few different areas to wheel. But, nothing compared to the gorgeous areas you have in your pics!

Last edited:

SGTTOM

New Explorer
2012 Power Wagon here:
muddy_zps58b003fd.jpg

Stock it has lockers front and rear, 12k winch, full skids plates, and lots of other goodies. To that I added Aluminess sliders, Carli 2.5 Performance with MIG'ed/mild control arms, fabbed towers, replacement rear Deavers, Thuren Shackles, and 37" MTR Kevlars on the stock rims. Future plans are front and rear tube bumpers, and a bed cage.

Most important things to me:
ROCK SLIDERS!!!! They were my first mod! Us low sitting full size rig drivers need rock sliders, BAD!!!! Keep our rockers off rocks and doors off trees!
SKID PLATES- for the same reason- our poor break over angle. I have had the truck high centered several times!
RECOVERY GEAR- winch, snatch block, something to weigh down the winch line (in case of snapping), tree saver strap, good recovery points on the truck, tow straps (multiple, I've had one snap before, now I bring two heavier duty ones (maybe three)), D-rings, a shovel, etc. I've had to use the winch many a time, especially because of high centering my truck, DOH!!!
FIRST AID KIT and FIRE EXTINGUISHER

SGTTOM, I want to add: AWESOME pics!!! Looks like you are having a lot of fun with your truck already!!!! I wish I had that kind of scenery to go wheeling in!!! I (regrettably) have yet to truly go on an expedition style trip with my truck, I have just gone on day trips to trail systems within hours of my house. Fortunately I live near (1-2 hours) a few different areas to wheel. But, nothing compared to the gorgeous areas you have in your pics!

The only good thing about living in CA is the variety of natural beauty is endless. I live in a desert which is full of places to explore and actually quite pretty in it's own way. I live 45 minutes from beautiful mountain forest and with light traffic not too far from the beaches where I grew up. I'm going to eventually get a commuter vehicle. When I do that, my truck will get more goodies. I want to keep it simple but prepared. A second battery and some recovery equipment to start. I eventually want new shocks and slightly bigger tires, but not really any lift. I want to possibly build an adventure trailer for when we want to use a camp for a base and leave the tent behind for the day. Lot's to do but it will take time due to funds. In the mean time I will continue to explore with what I got and tread carefully as to not get into anything I can't get out of yet. A winch would be cool, but until that I may just get a hi-lift jack and some straps. I definite want to go on some group trips so I can learn from more experienced explorers.

SGTTOM

New Explorer
In response to your original post, I have a similar truck.

07 sierra z71 4x4:
2.5 level front, 1.5 rear
295/70/17 nitto trail grapples
bilstien shocks
rigid dually lights
hella spot lights
dual battery (optima)
volant air intake
magnaflow dumped exhaust
bed cover
cobra 75 cb
bedlined
soon to have clamps in the bed for axe, shovel, and highlift jack
Looking into addictive desert designs front venom bumper for better clearance

(battery setup)

Great rigs, motivates me! Love my chevy.

golf_n_bees

Noob to this awesome site checking in to your thread. I've been into camping and 4 wheeling off and on for damn near 30 years. In 2011 I finally picked up my dream truck and have been setting it up as kind of an adventure vehicle without knowing it lol... Anyway the idea was a capable rig that I can comfortably live out of for a few days or a week. I got the 2011 F250 4x4 6.7, like I said dream truck for me. It has Cooper 33" tires, they work great but I wish I had gotten into the 35" range. Anyway I put an ARE topper on it. It has the full size bed so I was able to put a truck box in up by the cab and I still have over 6' of room for storage and a cot for sleeping. Truck box is for off road recovery stuff and tools ect... So far I've done the Mojave trail twice and looking to do another run this year. My friends and I also plan on doing the Arizona strip at some point. I live in Vegas so I'm out in the desert all the time and I've spent a fair amount of time in the back of the thing, no complaints so far. Next step is a 2 meter set up and a CB. I love it!

SGTTOM

New Explorer
Noob to this awesome site checking in to your thread. I've been into camping and 4 wheeling off and on for damn near 30 years. In 2011 I finally picked up my dream truck and have been setting it up as kind of an adventure vehicle without knowing it lol... Anyway the idea was a capable rig that I can comfortably live out of for a few days or a week. I got the 2011 F250 4x4 6.7, like I said dream truck for me. It has Cooper 33" tires, they work great but I wish I had gotten into the 35" range. Anyway I put an ARE topper on it. It has the full size bed so I was able to put a truck box in up by the cab and I still have over 6' of room for storage and a cot for sleeping. Truck box is for off road recovery stuff and tools ect... So far I've done the Mojave trail twice and looking to do another run this year. My friends and I also plan on doing the Arizona strip at some point. I live in Vegas so I'm out in the desert all the time and I've spent a fair amount of time in the back of the thing, no complaints so far. Next step is a 2 meter set up and a CB. I love it!

I would be interested in doing a run on the Mojave Trail. We also have been meaning to go to Arizona. So, if you have room for another rig with two people and a dog, let me know!

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Hey Tom,

Great trip pics!

Additionally, well done with RTT on the Xsporter. I'm glad to see someone actually do that as it's been on my list to do for the last couple years, but other stuff keep getting in the way. lol

My build as of today actually. It does have some trail rides under it's belt the last few years.

IMG_20140217_130721_613_zpsoay2tbiw.jpg

SGTTOM

New Explorer
The RTT on the Xsporter works great, just needed to get slightly longer bolts for the hardware to attach it. The Xsporter cross bars were a little thick. No, biggie though. The guy who sold me the tent gave us the new bolts for free. I like the Xsporter because it allows more flexibility with placement and you can even take it all off if need be for home improvement days.

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Tom,

Here's how I've mostly used mine so you have more options. :) It's a Thule Cargo Pod and 2 bike racks. I did this all together back in summer 04. I will be building a utility rack to mount to the Xsporter also.

IMG_20130519_083932_607_zpsa6b415fb.jpg

Rome72

Just been lurking for a while, decided this year to take the wife and I out on some camping trips this year, might as well get some in before we start the family. Did a quick day trip to Jemez (sorry no photos) was still quite cold. Decided on getting a camper shell so we can just leave park and camp is set.

Plans are to go to Jemez, Pecos, Mountainair, Red River, Eagles Nest, and just where ever the truck takes us. I know it's not pretty but I have plans for it.

On to the truck.

94' Chevy K2500 HD, 350CI with 4L80e, 4x4.
I blew up the rear end last year and installed a used semi floating axle. (Hoping for a locker for the rear soon.)
Raised the torsion bars up front to clear for the tires. I can't remember the actual sizes but they equate to about 33" x 10" or so.
Frame has over 300k but sadly the engine maybe has 100k (had to replace with a crate motor) but transmission is still running strong.

I plan to put in false floor for storage for gear, and a rack to put lights and more gear. And hopefully the truck will be one single color. This is also my daily so it's hard to tear down and do things without having it done overnight.

image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles