Ram trucks to Sponsor Barlow/Jacobsen Rebelle Rally team

Field Tested: Baja Rack Expedition Roof Rack

Landcruising Adventure: 14 days to cross a border (Venezuela), part 1

The New Expedition Portal T-Shirts are Here!

Trekking in the Sierras

Overland ExPo – Through the Back Door

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Full-Size Pick Ups, Builds, Ideas, and Trips.

Quote Originally Posted by crismateski View Post
    I just picked up a standard camper shell off of craigslist cheap, and it is in great shape. simple plywood platform, and all my gear stores under neath and I have a sleeping platform. Nothing fancy, but works great. you can also get tents that are made to fit the bed of the truck.

as far as the Ham a Yaesu ft60 handheld is great to learn with, and can be had pretty cheap.
    I have seen set ups like that, its really not a bad idea. I may look at it again, I forgot about doing it that way. I have been trying to keep my toolbox, but I may ditch it for a better set up. I'll check out that radio too. Thank you!
    Stay Frosty,
    Tom

Okay with much thought here is what I want to get in order to solve my sleeping issue. I want to put a RTT on a rack above my bed, I will look for a used RTT. The hard part is finding an acceptable rack with enough height to access my truck bed, but able to fit to the rear of the truck so I can access my tool box. I have seen some really cool racks on some Tacomas, but can't find anything for my Chevy. I have thought about Thule Xsporters but they are pricey $500 and I'm not sure how well they would work. I want to get this done by June. Any ideas?
    Stay Frosty,
    Tom

How bout a contractor style lumber rack. I see a lot of guys on here using them for their RTT. Plenty strong. You could also get one designed to go around a canopy should you go that rout in the future...

I have though about it, I like the ones I have seen than keep the RTT below the profile of the truck's roof. I haven't given up on the idea yet though, just trying to find something a little closer to what I want. It is a good idea.
    Stay Frosty,
    Tom

San Antonio Heights, California, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SGTTOM View Post
    I have though about it, I like the ones I have seen than keep the RTT below the profile of the truck's roof. I haven't given up on the idea yet though, just trying to find something a little closer to what I want. It is a good idea.
    A rack is a pretty simple item, I would be willing to bet that you can have a custom rack built for much less then the 500 for the thule.

With what you are describing I would go custom, that way you get it just how you want it. Im thinking about doing that for my Tacoma, I have a tool box that I want to keep in the bed and want the rack just high enough to clear it when open.

Cool, I want to go custom. I just need to find a place that will do it. Any metal working shop maybe? I have tried to look online, but no real results yet. Thanks.
    Stay Frosty,
    Tom

I like your idea. Sounds like you will lose most to all of your rear visibility though. Might want to tape a blanket over the back window and drive around like that for a while to see if you can live with that before you spend for a custom set up.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by SGTTOM View Post
    Cool, I want to go custom. I just need to find a place that will do it. Any metal working shop maybe? I have tried to look online, but no real results yet. Thanks.
    I don't know of any around your location. There is Outdoor Logic in Riverside they post here on the Expo forums. www.outdoorlogic.net Maybe ask in the CA-NV sub-forum and see what others say.

Quote Originally Posted by BCHauler View Post
    I like your idea. Sounds like you will lose most to all of your rear visibility though. Might want to tape a blanket over the back window and drive around like that for a while to see if you can live with that before you spend for a custom set up.
    Good idea. It would drive me nuts not to be able to see out the back window, especially if you're planning on pulling a trailer at some point.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast