Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Full-Size Pick Ups, Builds, Ideas, and Trips.

Quote Originally Posted by crismateski View Post
    I just picked up a standard camper shell off of craigslist cheap, and it is in great shape. simple plywood platform, and all my gear stores under neath and I have a sleeping platform. Nothing fancy, but works great. you can also get tents that are made to fit the bed of the truck.

as far as the Ham a Yaesu ft60 handheld is great to learn with, and can be had pretty cheap.
    I have seen set ups like that, its really not a bad idea. I may look at it again, I forgot about doing it that way. I have been trying to keep my toolbox, but I may ditch it for a better set up. I'll check out that radio too. Thank you!
    Stay Frosty,
    Tom

Okay with much thought here is what I want to get in order to solve my sleeping issue. I want to put a RTT on a rack above my bed, I will look for a used RTT. The hard part is finding an acceptable rack with enough height to access my truck bed, but able to fit to the rear of the truck so I can access my tool box. I have seen some really cool racks on some Tacomas, but can't find anything for my Chevy. I have thought about Thule Xsporters but they are pricey $500 and I'm not sure how well they would work. I want to get this done by June. Any ideas?
    Stay Frosty,
    Tom

How bout a contractor style lumber rack. I see a lot of guys on here using them for their RTT. Plenty strong. You could also get one designed to go around a canopy should you go that rout in the future...

I have though about it, I like the ones I have seen than keep the RTT below the profile of the truck's roof. I haven't given up on the idea yet though, just trying to find something a little closer to what I want. It is a good idea.
    Stay Frosty,
    Tom

San Antonio Heights, California, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SGTTOM View Post
    I have though about it, I like the ones I have seen than keep the RTT below the profile of the truck's roof. I haven't given up on the idea yet though, just trying to find something a little closer to what I want. It is a good idea.
    A rack is a pretty simple item, I would be willing to bet that you can have a custom rack built for much less then the 500 for the thule.
    2006 Dodge Power Wagon
    1979 Yamaha DT175 Enduro
    Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
    San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
    San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer

Build Thread http://americanadventurist.com/Forum...-WagonBuilding

With what you are describing I would go custom, that way you get it just how you want it. Im thinking about doing that for my Tacoma, I have a tool box that I want to keep in the bed and want the rack just high enough to clear it when open.

Cool, I want to go custom. I just need to find a place that will do it. Any metal working shop maybe? I have tried to look online, but no real results yet. Thanks.
    Stay Frosty,
    Tom

I like your idea. Sounds like you will lose most to all of your rear visibility though. Might want to tape a blanket over the back window and drive around like that for a while to see if you can live with that before you spend for a custom set up.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by SGTTOM View Post
    Cool, I want to go custom. I just need to find a place that will do it. Any metal working shop maybe? I have tried to look online, but no real results yet. Thanks.
    I don't know of any around your location. There is Outdoor Logic in Riverside they post here on the Expo forums. www.outdoorlogic.net Maybe ask in the CA-NV sub-forum and see what others say.

Quote Originally Posted by BCHauler View Post
    I like your idea. Sounds like you will lose most to all of your rear visibility though. Might want to tape a blanket over the back window and drive around like that for a while to see if you can live with that before you spend for a custom set up.
    Good idea. It would drive me nuts not to be able to see out the back window, especially if you're planning on pulling a trailer at some point.
    Chris
    1989 GMC Jimmy - adventure truck: HAM radio, dual batts, Helton shower, winch, ARB fridge
    2005 GMC Yukon - daily driver: HAM radio

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast