Full-Size Pick Ups, Builds, Ideas, and Trips.

racemedic

Observer
With what you are describing I would go custom, that way you get it just how you want it. Im thinking about doing that for my Tacoma, I have a tool box that I want to keep in the bed and want the rack just high enough to clear it when open.

SGTTOM

New Explorer
Cool, I want to go custom. I just need to find a place that will do it. Any metal working shop maybe? I have tried to look online, but no real results yet. Thanks.

BCHauler

Adventurer
I like your idea. Sounds like you will lose most to all of your rear visibility though. Might want to tape a blanket over the back window and drive around like that for a while to see if you can live with that before you spend for a custom set up.

racemedic

Observer
Cool, I want to go custom. I just need to find a place that will do it. Any metal working shop maybe? I have tried to look online, but no real results yet. Thanks.

I don't know of any around your location. There is Outdoor Logic in Riverside they post here on the Expo forums. www.outdoorlogic.net Maybe ask in the CA-NV sub-forum and see what others say.

clandr1

Adventurer
I like your idea. Sounds like you will lose most to all of your rear visibility though. Might want to tape a blanket over the back window and drive around like that for a while to see if you can live with that before you spend for a custom set up.

Good idea. It would drive me nuts not to be able to see out the back window, especially if you're planning on pulling a trailer at some point.

SGTTOM

New Explorer

Good point, I haven't thought of it like that. I have driven a lot of tactical vehicles withouth being ablt to use a rear view mirror. I may look in to making it high enough to see a little but not too high. Thanks for pointing that out, I will deffinately give it more thought.

SGTTOM

New Explorer
I don't know of any around your location. There is Outdoor Logic in Riverside they post here on the Expo forums. www.outdoorlogic.net Maybe ask in the CA-NV sub-forum and see what others say.
Thanks, just got an email back from Outdoor Logic, they may be the way to go.

Now I need a tent!

Question for anyone, which would you suggest; Eezi Awn 1400 series used with some obviouse wear(listed on ExPo for sale) for $900, or new Cascadia Bachlor for about $950ish+$200 shipping? I need to fit wife, medium dog in a folding creat, and myself. Also Ironman RTTs are a decent price. Trying to keep it around $1000.

Last edited:

pennieslj

Observer
We use the Thule Xsporter for our tent. While it is a little pricey, it has worked great for us. It is very solid and being adjustable is nice. If you don't go custom the xsporter will work great.
P2182770.jpg

Johnston

Observer
I went custom with my rack. I couldn't find anything that worked with my truck with toolbox in it and I already had the headache rack. Still able to see out the back just not as easy. I went with http://compactcampingconcepts.com/index.htm and am very happy with the tent. I bought the large style(king size bed size). Quick to set up and take down.

Attachments

• 2011-02-26 12.49.51.jpg
    2011-02-26 12.49.51.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 2011-03-26 17.34.45.jpg
    2011-03-26 17.34.45.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 2011-03-25 10.08.24.jpg
    2011-03-25 10.08.24.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 2011-03-05 13.47.59.jpg
    2011-03-05 13.47.59.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 23

SGTTOM

New Explorer
We use the Thule Xsporter for our tent. While it is a little pricey, it has worked great for us. It is very solid and being adjustable is nice. If you don't go custom the xsporter will work great.

Power Wagons are awsome! I will go with the xsporter if custom doesn't work out. It looks simple and clean. Thanks.

I went custom with my rack. I couldn't find anything that worked with my truck with toolbox in it and I already had the headache rack. Still able to see out the back just not as easy. I went with http://compactcampingconcepts.com/index.htm and am very happy with the tent. I bought the large style(king size bed size). Quick to set up and take down.

That is a really cool set up, looks functional.

I am going to head over to Outdoor Logic on Friday. I taked with them today and it was a great experience, I am confident they will produce what I need. Plus, they can hook me up with a great deal for an RTT.

Last edited:

SGTTOM

New Explorer
Looking for any trail ideas for a trip to the Big Bear area or near by parts of the San Bernardino National Forest. Two nights, and something safe for my rig. Thanks

crismateski

American Adventurist
Looking for any trail ideas for a trip to the Big Bear area or near by parts of the San Bernardino National Forest. Two nights, and something safe for my rig. Thanks

I am a full size, and am a volunteer with the SBNF OHV spending most of my time in big bear. What kind of area do you want, I will help you out.

SGTTOM

New Explorer
I am a full size, and am a volunteer with the SBNF OHV spending most of my time in big bear. What kind of area do you want, I will help you out.

Thank you! I'm hoping to find some nice driving with views, and quiet back country camping. We want to do a little hiking and we will also have a dog with us. I know it's a huge place, I'm not sure where to start. I'm looking for a point in a good direction. I'm hoping to plan for the next two weeks or so on night shifts(ha ha). Thanks again.

Last edited:

crismateski

American Adventurist
it will probably take me a few days but I will get you some info. Depending on when you go, I would more then happy to meet up with you as well

SGTTOM

New Explorer
it will probably take me a few days but I will get you some info. Depending on when you go, I would more then happy to meet up with you as well

Thanks, looking forward to it. I will be hopefully picking dates this week. I appreciate the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online