Full-Size Pick Ups, Builds, Ideas, and Trips.

SGTTOM

New Explorer
Okay, so I have started many threads in a short time asking quite a few questions(as I am very new to this stuff!) and just learning how to use this wonderful tool to help get advise and info on everything from building my truck to finding trails to drive it on. So my new plan is to attempt to consolidate my questions, and post on to one thread. That way I'm not jumping from thread to thread or continuously starting new threads.

My goal; I want to invite full-size pick up owners to post pics and and share their builds, in order to give everyone new ideas. I would also like to see where you have taken your trucks, specifically in the American Southwest(but please post trips you took anywhere it's all great!), as I am a desert dweller myself. I know there is a great community out there I just want to pull some of us into one thread that really communicates build advise and ideas, as well as trip ideas. There is a lot out there already,but the information can really be spread out and you have to really search for somethings. This thread may be broad but I would like to hear what other are doing with their pick ups.

I will start by talking about my truck, build plans, hopes, and the short trips I have taken. So please gents lets hear the full-size stories!

Last edited:

SGTTOM

New Explorer
Okay so first off; my truck-

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT 4x4
Tow Package
Rear-Locking Differential
2in Leveling kit
265/70R17 BFG AT's(full-size spare, good year wrangler)
Dual Flowmaster(straight)

The truck is still mostly stock.

truck desert1.jpg

My Plans:
Z71 Skid Plates
Oil pan skid plate
Rock Sliders
Suspenion Upgrade/ Lift maybe 3-3.5in(I don't want a tall truck, just a capable one)
Bigger BFG AT's(mine only have 11,000mi on them so it will be awhile, as these tire last forever!)
Better Bumbers(maybe aluminess)
Thule sport rack adjustable in hieght(so I can adjust the hieght of the RTT during sleep/travel)
Auto Home Maggiolina Rooftop Tent
Custom storage drawers for the bed(I want to weather proof them and make the removeable so I can keep my bed open)

These plans are my hopes and dreams, my budget will make it slow going. But,I do intend on beginning my travels(wife and dog included) with what I have and building as I go. I will learn from experience and from you guys posting on this thread. So with all of this being said, I look forward to everyones input. Thanks!

truck2.jpg

Last edited:

98dango

Expedition Leader
Ok here is my pile

1984 chevy scottsdale 3/4 4x4
Tow Package
Rear-welded Differential
52" rears up front shackle flip Next weekend
235-85-16 coopers 2 matching spairs
stock plus farmer fab no power adders

478462_3280899695646_1062179687_3089766_440999565_o.jpg

Plans

install my 52" springs
built front and rear bumper
crew cab swap 5' flat bed
run it hard and long

n817995400_4222805_1952.jpg

lower version of this

Trails i plan to run this year
Morrison jeep trial in clark wy and see every corner of yellowstone i can

SGTTOM

New Explorer
Awsome stuff, just what I'm hoping to see.

I plan on running the Bradshaw Trail out here in the So-Cal desert soon, and also I'm hoping to go on a run in Anza Boreggo with some guys from this portal. After it gets too hot I plan on doing runs up in the local mountains. I love the idea of yellow stone, I can't wait to hear about it. I want to branch out someday, but for now I'm a student staying in my local area. Next year I hope to have my truck(and myself) more capable, and will hopfully venture and explore more.

Last edited:

SGTTOM

New Explorer
Okay, so first step. Skid plates; I want to get them soon. I am thinking about going with the factory plates for the Z71, would anybody be against these? If so what are my options, considering I'm on a budget? I want to save money but I understand that all to often you get what you pay for. I'm calling the dealer today fo a quote.

SGTTOM

New Explorer
Thanks, I actually called the dealer today, I was told by the service dept manager that they are unreliable and plastic. The dealer I talked to services the vehicles for the local Border Patrol station and said that they order 10-15 sets at a time because they keep breaking. I think I will shop on for metal plates. I will check out the plates listed above and see what I can find. I don't want plastic if its gonna break. I'll be updating as soon as I think I have found some I like.

SGTTOM

New Explorer
Thank you very much, I will begin looking into it now. Like I said skid plates first, followed by suspension. I want those done by summer maybe, the rest will follow as I can pay for it, I'm sure thats everyones story. Also, I'll post some info about my trip yesterday, nothing crazy it was more of a hiking trip. Thanks for your help everyone!

jayrguidaben

Observer
"SGT T OM sai d : Yes te r da y

Skid plates So I know there is a front skid plate, oil pan plate, differential plate,transfercase plate. A lot of plates! I looked at some pro comp plates, it was two plates, and I saw a plate made by trail master that was a front plate. Honestly I think I will back off the Z71 plate but then the question remain what to get? I could get the trail master, but then what plates will I need after that? I have seen some plates made by Warn that seem great, a little pricey and I'm not sure how to pick the right plates for my truck. Any advise?"

Its up to you which brand do you want. I think its better to get the pro comp. Front and i think front diff plate. The only thing you need is the transfer case and oil pan. Where did you find the oil pan plate?thats the one i want.

SGTTOM

New Explorer
Cool, I like the fact that procomp comes with two plates already and that it's a popular name. I didn't find an oil pan plate, I was listing off every thing I have heard you should get plates for. I was wondering which of all those you actually needed. I will get the procomp package and then find one for the oil pan. I'll let you know if I find anything.

SGTTOM

New Explorer
So on Tuesday we drove out to Painted Canyon, it's an easy drive I'm sure all from the area have been there. 4x4 is recommended but I saw planty of cars out there. I actually had to leave the main road in order to use my 4 wheel drive. None the less it's a beautiful area with spectacular scenary! I would suggest a visit to anybody who enjoys a nice hike and outing. The area is most well know for it's Ladder Canyon hike, which we will do next time. This time we explored another canyon where there weren't any people. It was hot and sunny, with a refreshing breeze once in a while. We hiked in approx 2 mi and ate lunch. After walking back we took the truck for some practice driving.Here are a few pics. The pics posted previously are also from this day trip.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

SGTTOM

New Explorer
Checking out Flip Pack Campershells, may have to change my plans up a little. Any one know much about them?

jayrguidaben

Observer
The only thing i need is the oil pan skid i might fab my own using 3/16 steel. And then if i broke my front skid im going to buy the pro comp.

SGTTOM

New Explorer
Cool, let me know how it goes. I'm really not a too mechanically inclined honestly, so I would need some help with anything not pre fabed and bolt on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles