SOLD

mr r2fj

Adventurer
Thanks. =) If anyone is interested feel free to make me an offer. Shipping price is CONUS if that wasn't obvious.

mr r2fj

Adventurer
Shipping to Canada might be slightly more ;-), but it's been awhile since I've tried to ship there.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Excuse my solar ignorance, but will the included charge controller handle the combined amps of both panels at the same time?

mr r2fj

Adventurer
That's a good question. The operating voltage of the panels is actually 15.4V. So you're looking at 56w/15.4 = 3.63A in a perfect sunny environment with the panels indexed correctly to the light. It's more than capable of handling these two panels.

mr r2fj

Adventurer
I know you can daisy chain lots of these together and they sell a daisy chain accessory. How they're compatible with the 60w foldables, I'm not sure. You'd have to contact them. The only thing I'd worry about at that point would be whatever you're using for a charge controller. You'd want to make sure that handled that ok.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
That's a good question. The operating voltage of the panels is actually 15.4V. So you're looking at 56w/15.4 = 3.63A in a perfect sunny environment with the panels indexed correctly to the light. It's more than capable of handling these two panels.

The operating voltage will be whatever voltage the battery is at. So for a 12v battery it'll be between 10.5v (dead) and 14.4v (full). The charge controller won't allow the battery to get pumped up to 15.4v (to prevent overcharging is the primary purpose of a charge controller).

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Can I daisy chain these with my 60 watt panel?

There is series and there is parallel. If you series PV modules, the voltage increases. For that, you'd probably need an MPPT charge controller which down-converts the higher voltage.

As for paralleling - it depends on how you do it.

If you mean to add these PV modules to the input of your existing charge controller. Yes, that can be done as long as your charge controller can handle the extra amps, AND as long as the Voltage Max Power (Vmp) of both panels is roughly the same. I.e., a PV with a Vmp of 15.4v and a PV with a Vmp of 18v will work fine. They are both considered "12v nominal" PVs.

If you mean to add this complete system - PV modules and charge controller - to your battery, as well as having your existing PV + charge controller connected to the same battery, then absolutely you can do it. You can have umpteen different charging systems all connected to the same battery or battery bank. They won't bump heads.

Each charge controller will feed current to the battery and stop when the battery gets full. The only issue to be aware of, is having too much charge current for the battery, but 116w won't be too much for a normal auto sized 12v lead-acid battery.

mr r2fj

Adventurer
Of course the voltage across the batteries will change. The output voltage of the panels is always 15.4 volts. The only point was that these panels should not overload the charge controller based on their output.

I think that the best solution would be to just add these in parallel with whatever other charging system you have instead of trying to add them to an existing charger. Certainly doable though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke