ARB bumper question

enzo

Explorer
I installed an ARB deluxe bumper a few months ago and had issues with the turn signals in the bumper and the dtrls on my truck going out. I searched like crazy for an answer and come to find out this is a common problem for 2nd gen Tacoma owners with DRLs. I called ARB and was told to use 1156 "style" LEDs in place of the supplied bulbs. My question is, do I have to use LEDs or can I use a lower wattage bulb to fix the problem? Thanks in advance.

downhill

Adventurer
I know this doesn't help, but I took one look at those supplied turn signals and tossed them in the garbage. The bumper looks fine without them.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I don't believe you can get a lower wattage incandescent 1156 bulb. Lower wattage will come from a different type bulb, like the LED.

What's the problem with LED's? Long life, low power demand, extremely bright - all sound ideal to me.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I am currently converting my stock housings to clear LED 1156's for turns and LED 1003's for markers. Copious amounts of dielectric grease in the bulb socket coupled with a bead of silicone around the lens upon reinstall (leaving weep holes clear) ought to keep them squared away. We'll see.

keezer37

Explorer
I have the same bumper with DRLs. One of the ARB directionals burned out within a week. They are tied in directly to the Tacoma directionals/DRLs. So they are on all the time like the DRLs and flash with the directionals. When I find the ambition to work on electrical again, I'll put them on their own circuit. I don't like them flashing with the directionals. Looks dukey.
I wanted to start looking at LEDs anyways. Driving myself crazy with lumens, candela, beam patterns, and whatnot, I went cheap just in case I ended up playing hit-n-miss trying for the right bulb.
Anyways, these work: 67-A15 Amber, they are the right brightness. They've been in since September, 2010. So far, so good. You do not need to add load resistors in this app.
There are some very expensive LEDs out there. These are the cheapest. As long as they keep working though, I'm sticking with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles