High revs on start up

skids

Observer
I had a oil change done on my 3.5 GDI the other week and ever since on start up from cold it revs high for a few seconds! Never noticed this before, is it common?

Last edited:

scrubber3

Not really here
I am not familiar with the diesel engines in these but it could have something to do with the oil or filter used. Where'd you get the oil changed at? Was there anything else done other than an oil change? They may have checked out some other maintenance items and left something loose and or off. Something like the air filter box or along those lines....

skids

Observer
I am not familiar with the diesel engines in these but it could have something to do with the oil or filter used. Where'd you get the oil changed at? Was there anything else done other than an oil change? They may have checked out some other maintenance items and left something loose and or off. Something like the air filter box or along those lines....

Thanks for the reply, it's a 3.5 petrol and it was just a oil change using mobil 1 and a Blueprint filter(not Mitsi but good as) I will check it over and see if anything is loose.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the reply, it's a 3.5 petrol and it was just a oil change using mobil 1 and a Blueprint filter(not Mitsi but good as) I will check it over and see if anything is loose.
Not common. When you say a few seconds do you mean <10s or perhaps more?

thedjjack

Dream it build it
Maybe....filter has valve to keep from draining but valve not working

Start up needs to fill filter so oil pressure low and computer turns the idle up?

skids

Observer
Maybe....filter has valve to keep from draining but valve not working

Start up needs to fill filter so oil pressure low and computer turns the idle up?

I have noticed oil pressure is lower than before the oil change, so it could be that. Another oil and filter change then, thanks.

shov3lbum

Adventurer
Ahhh...the dreaded tapping sound at start up, common with the 3.0L engines...but never heard of it in the 3.5L engines....mine is a 5spd montero sport with the 3.0L and my idle is about 1700-2000 at start up for 3-5 seconds, then drops down right away, if I start driving the second it starts up it takes it a bit longer to calm down...always been normal for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles