Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Selling my Land Rover Defender 110 TDi

This truck is only legal to sell currently in Canada due to the 15 year import versus the U.S. 25 year rule.

Saying that i suppose it doesnt matter to you who purchases it. Just get cash or a bank money order.

If you sell it in The U.S. It will become just another grey market vehicle. Advertise on the Rovers North forum, Land Rover Exchange to name a few.

Good luck as it seems solid enough, other than the body damage.
    1991 Defender 110 300Tdi x-MoD 19 KK 88 - daily driver
    1955 Series 1 86 Hardtop 173601415 - undergoing the infinite rebuild
    1955 Series 1 86 Hardtop 57130577 - just a pile of parts now
    1965 Narrow Track Sankey 35 ET 73
    1985 Series III 109 x-MoD BATUS 77 KC 63 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
    sure if you want to do a vin swap...
    Believe it or not, some of us actually build our trucks. Here is one, my first 110 actually from many years ago, for sale again currently: http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/2946968353.html
    The parts from a truck such as this one for sale are extremely difficult to come by- like dash, Tdi, etc I have a 130 in pieces from the paint shop waiting to be assembled right now. Point being, you don't have to sour the perception of others that everyone does swaps, though some obviously do. I am fortunate to live in NC where we get an immediate exception for diesel conversions- any diesel conversion...
    '98 D-I
    D110 HCPU- For Sale
    '70 S-II-a 33k mi!! -For Sale
    '06 Sprinter Navion
    '03 Canary yellow 8.1 'burb
    '89 Honda Trans Alp -For Sale

TreadLightly! Trainer
    www.thervrbarn.com

The days are long, but the years are short...
    When one looks out the window, he has to decide- is the world all mud, or stars?!

Quote Originally Posted by Rovertrader View Post
    Believe it or not, some of us actually build our trucks. Here is one, my first 110 actually from many years ago, for sale again currently: http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/2946968353.html
    The parts from a truck such as this one for sale are extremely difficult to come by- like dash, Tdi, etc I have a 130 in pieces from the paint shop waiting to be assembled right now. Point being, you don't have to sour the perception of others that everyone does swaps, though some obviously do. I am fortunate to live in NC where we get an immediate exception for diesel conversions- any diesel conversion...
    I live just done from this 110, wish I could buy a second rig!

Nothing wrong with buying it to part it and use some of the parts on a few different vehicles. If a buyer thinks there are enough salvageable parts on the truck to make the price viable then that is their business.

The problem is that way too many of these illegal to import vehicles are turning up on places like fleabay and some of the forums for sale to unwitting buyers who then find out they have a headache on their hands.

Ian
    Ian Gregory
    Current LR Stable: 97 D90 ST #1008, 94 D90 SW #1887 (Project), 98 D1 LSE
    Memories of: 84 RRC Vogue 4dr, 93 RRC Vogue SE, 84 Ninety 2.5NA SW, 86 Ninety 2.5TD TC, 96 D1 SD

Yep, I've done 2, legally...so your not the only one.

Kinda confused why your getting fired up. I said that if your buying it for parts you should be fine. The vin swap comment was not directed at you, but just a general statement that it's the only way you can drive this truck as is in the US.
    01 D2 RuffStuff housings ARB/Detroit, custom radius arms/ 4 link rear, 37" Creepy's, Ashcroft Under Drive, PSC hydro steering, Hellfire Hi Steer Knuckles...
    96 D1
    1983 110 RHD Pick up
    KF7EMF

not fired up at all really, and I understand the unknowing buyer bit all to well. It is just that everyone assumes VIN swap first because most want the quick easy route, and the legit builders get grouped in there with them. Since I posted interest in the rig I guess I did the old 'assume' thing and apologize for doing so.
    '98 D-I
    D110 HCPU- For Sale
    '70 S-II-a 33k mi!! -For Sale
    '06 Sprinter Navion
    '03 Canary yellow 8.1 'burb
    '89 Honda Trans Alp -For Sale

TreadLightly! Trainer
    www.thervrbarn.com

The days are long, but the years are short...
    When one looks out the window, he has to decide- is the world all mud, or stars?!

Hi everybody,
    I'm not sure, if I understand the discussion, but I just wanted to say, that we don't want to trick anybody. We are just two trevellers, who think about selling the car, rather than shipping it back to Europe.
    Please have a good look at the pictures. There might be some problems for american citicens, to register the vehicle here legally. I have all the (german) paperwork with me and sell the car with the german licence-plates, if it helps you. You can buy the car an use the parts or try to register it. But I don't know the laws in the US neither do I know, how to register the car.

To Maxingout:
    Thanx for the compliment, we are quite roud of it, as build everything by ourselves and also prepared the car technically. The idea of opening the closet from outside, we stole from an australian couple

Cheers
    Claus

Hi Claus,

I see no reason to expect that you as a non-American would be expected to understand or even know about our very 'odd' shall we say rules when it comes to the importation of perfectly good Defenders. The discussion (from my end at least) is really more to point out that they exist and to be aware and careful of them. No suggestion was intended from me that you are in any way being tricky or underhand. From your perspective it makes perfect sense to sell a vehicle you no longer need here rather than go to the expense of shipping it back to Europe.

The discord you may be picking up is more to do with what is commonly happening to these underage for import vehicles after they make it here. Many are illegally given the identity of an older vehicle and sold on to unsuspecting buyers. That's not to suggest that this one will be, but it is commonly being done.

I am not sure what if any liability you may be left with as the seller in the event that there is an issue down the road. It will depend a lot on how you brought the vehicle into the country to begin with and what paperwork you have signed I expect.

Are you going to make it to the Overland Expo here in AZ in May do you think? You will no doubt find many potential buyers there as well as ideas for kitting out a vehicle for your ‘next’ trip...

Good luck with the sale and enjoy the rest of your trip.

Ian
    Ian Gregory
    Memories of: 84 RRC Vogue 4dr, 93 RRC Vogue SE, 84 Ninety 2.5NA SW, 86 Ninety 2.5TD TC, 96 D1 SD

Claus

they are just discussing the ways to purchase your truck as its not 25 years old yet.

nothing wrong with your attempt to sell the truck- which I'm guessing will happen quite easily.

Really if there was someone wanting to hit South america- then across to SA and back up to europe it would be an ideal truck - good luck with the sale- either way I'm 90% sure you will sell it in the states

after that its the new owners issue.
    Last edited by UK4X4; 04-12-2012 at 01:33 AM. Reason: deleted comment - but every one knows its done- !

Quote Originally Posted by UK4X4 View Post
    So they would have to import as parts, then rebuild on a new chassis, or vin swap from an old series truck- the first is more legally correct - the other slightly more dodgy.

Its the buyer that has to sort the paperwork out
    You might want to take the time and do a little research before making statements such as the above.
    Ian Gregory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast