2006 Tundra DC sleeping platform and storage

slowtwitch

Adventurer
I built this last year after much inspiration from this site. The platform has two full length drawers sliding on Delrin strips. There are two top hatches for each drawer for access when the back is shut.
I found the sleeping pads/chairs took up too much drawer space so I made the overhead storage using steel tubing with shock cord run through. The mounting holes use the holes already there from the bolt on rack gutters. Works great, can't see it at all out the rear view mirror and is forward enough to be well out of heads reach when sitting on the platform. I can also store two bikes upright with the front wheels taken off, so all loaded it's a pretty incognito setup, minimal wind drag, bike stay protected, etc..
I also have a Kirkhams auto canopy with brackets that I made to use the two side rack bolt on gutter mounts.

It's worked great for us with one kid. We rode out a couple nasty dust/wind storms around Moab and it was nice. I gotta admit though my mind is kicking around a custom hard shell pop up... standing up would slick.

st

Attachments

• IMG_2909.JPG
    IMG_2909.JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2908.JPG
    IMG_2908.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2910.JPG
    IMG_2910.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2911.JPG
    IMG_2911.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 69

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Shell is a Glasstite. Out of business now, but you can still find them under a new name on the web.. not making shells anymore, but they still have parts support. It's my understanding that there are only one or two actual manufacturers of shells, and they just get re-branded with the various names we all know. Anyways, I love the extra height shell. In combination with the extra deep DC bed, you can have decent storage and height enough to sit upright on the platform (I'm 6'2") and put bikes in. Being able to have storage up top without interfering with the rearview was another plus.
Bed length is 6' maybe an inch or two more.

st

2scars

Adventurer
genius

That shock cord rack is brilliant... good work. I may have to snag this and your Delrin slide idea.

Brandon

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Thanks. The upper storage really works well, esp in conjunction with the higher topper. All of our bulky stuff is now out of the drawers freeing up a ton of space. When truck is in utility mode, the unit is out of the way of whatever is being hauled, and bikes on the platform also clear it.

The Delrin works well. It has more drag the more you put in the drawers (duh), and the drawers can hold a ton of stuff. When fully loaded my wife gets a workout using them, but that's ok!The big benefit is you don't lose much space to the slides as opposed to some of the diy roller bearing setups I've seen on this site. I keep meaning to throw some graphite on them. Attaching them is also a pita as no glue will work, so I had to drill and counter sink them so the heads of the screws were below flush.

I've though about a hybrid roller bearing steup up where the bearings would just roll on the bottom of the drawer carcass, and be held in the drawers (voids cut in the bottom) via elevator bolts to save space and keep the drawers as big as they can be....

st

Slowtwitch
How much weight do you have in the drawer? Will the Derlin slide well with say 150-175 pounds? Do you have Derlin on the drawer and the platform structure, so Derlin sliding on Derlin? How thick of Derlin did you use?

Thanks Mike

slowtwitch

Adventurer
I used 1/8 x 1 ' Delrin strips from Mcmaster Carr and made a 90 degree channel on corners of drawers that slide in another 90 degree channel in carcas so yes it's Delrin on Delrin. It would slide with that much weight for sure. I wanted as thin/narrow of a slide system as possible to maximize drawer space, and also something that would work with 6' drawers. Platform is in storage for a few wks. I'll pics soon.

st

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles