long gun registration papers

frumpy

Explorer
Regardless if guns are registered or controlled, it's not going to stop people from committing the crimes they commit. They will find other ways including unregistered illegal guns. I can't speak for any other country than my own, but the only people all these laws are effecting are they law abiding citizens that jump through the hoops to own them.

Right now I can own a pistol or AR (restricted gun and rifle), but I cannot take it out of my home unless I have permission from the chief of firearms for that province. Even then, I cannot go shoot it on crown or private land, only a certified range. What difference is it to anyone if I can shoot a non restricted gun on private or crown land but not a restricted? I don't think that law has prevented any crimes from being committed.

oh, and Cody1771 how is it any different shooting on private land than at a range if that person has done all the legal requirements to own a pistol? I think you have a false sense of security. I regularly shoot non-restricted firearms on crown and private land. I have had others show up and the odd time there have been issues I speak up. If I go down range I make sure the other person knows not to handle the firearm (and if I'm shooting with someone else they stay at the firing line if there are concerns). I have never felt my safety has been in question by not being at an official range, and regardless of what you are shooting (pistol or rifle) the same basic rules apply. How is it right that someone I know who owns 400+ acres can't take a pistol, even a 22 pistol out into his land and shoot it into a safe backstop yet they can take a 50cal "sniper" rifle out to public land and blast away.

Last edited:

Cody1771

Explorer
oh, and Cody1771 how is it any different shooting on private land than at a range if that person has done all the legal requirements to own a pistol? I think you have a false sense of security. I regularly shoot non-restricted firearms on crown and private land. I have had others show up and the odd time there have been issues I speak up. If I go down range I make sure the other person knows not to handle the firearm (and if I'm shooting with someone else they stay at the firing line if there are concerns). I have never felt my safety has been in question by not being at an official range, and regardless of what you are shooting (pistol or rifle) the same basic rules apply. How is it right that someone I know who owns 400+ acres can't take a pistol, even a 22 pistol out into his land and shoot it into a safe backstop yet they can take a 50cal "sniper" rifle out to public land and blast away.

i never disagreed with this, my comment about the range was PURELY restricted firearms related, i carry a shotgun with me whenever i go camping. i have never felt the need to take any pistol, even my 22 browning gold metalist outside of the range. this will be my last post in this thread as it is getting to heated for my taste as gun control is a lame thing to debate as everyone has there own opinion that is much to hard to change. have a nice day all :)

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
I'm bowing out as well, having commented on what I wished to and have no desire to get into an intractable discussion. I will not change my mind to allow for the possibility of unfettered access to firearms in this country (Australia), you seem to have a perspective which I don't understand seeing as how you don't live here, but that will not likely change either. You also seem hell bent on trying to twist my point of view into something that it isn't. I enjoy shooting, have no problems with firearms and am not trying to take your guns away. I'm not commenting on the US, its laws or its people, just saying please don't misconstrue my country to defend your philosophy. For some posters here your logic is specious and reaches for conclusions that the facts don't support. You refuse to address my point - I'm talking gun crime, you're making unverifiable assertions that segue across a range of possible issues and I don't trust some of your figures which were plagiarised word for word from a US anti gun control column (MEP1811). As a citizen of this country, on the ground in this country and in touch with the people of this country I can tell you that you assertion that crime is escalating due to gun control is erroneous and considered in Australia, by the few who care, to be a fallacy designed to support gun fanciers and lobbyist in the US in pushing US policy - nothing to do with quality of life or rights in this country. Your stats don't back you up, unless you squint and look at them upside down and through a smokey mirror because they don't offer a qualification of how an increase or decrease occurred. The firearms offences stats I stated are directly, irrevocably and incontrovertibly linked to the issue.

My final word is that I meant no offence to TACODOC who I see is a valued and respected member here, and I can tell this is a heartfelt issue for him. I am just asking you all to restrict your arguments to your own country in the same way I have the respect to not address yours.

Humphrey Out.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
...I do not know almost any Australians who are opposed to firearms restrictions, who thinks we should have US-styled unfettered access to firearms.

Boy I wish that was true! Our Constitution says our right to own and bear arms should not be impinged in anyway, but what State and Federal legislators have actually wreaked on their citizens is another matter altogether!

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Well said Humphrey. You're absolutely right - most Americans would have little tolerance for criticism of our policies from other citizens not of the US. You and Australia deserve that same respect. As a fellow veteran and shooting enthusiast I understand and support your points completely.

Besides, wasn't this about a failed Canadian policy that their sovereign authority rescinded?

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
Besides, wasn't this about a failed Canadian policy that their sovereign authority rescinded?

I'm a pretty effective thread derailleur!

I shall reserve the discussion to when we can have it in a gentlemanly fashion (e.g. beer in hand) around a camp fire some day.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Damn. Late to the party... empty bottles all over and I missed the debate... sigh...

Some good points here. Cheers to all the nations that are democratically choosing their own destiny, I'll drink to that :beer:

And Humphrey, I was responding to this initially:

99.999'% of my country are quite happy with the situation as it stands, but thanks for your concern.Humphrey

And then you followed with this:

Your reputation on here is that you are an honourable, stand-up guy - so I am assuming that that comment is not dishonest or deceptive, but that it is hyperbole brought on by your emotional attachment to the subject matter.

My assessment is that your statement of "99.999%" is hyperbole brought on by your emotional attachment to the subject matter. ;)

It IS an emotional subject for many. Why? Because taking rights away from free men because they "might" do something is bollocks.

Just my
tuppence.gif

Last edited:

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
TACODOC said:
My assessment is that your statement of "99.999%" is hyperbole brought on by your emotional attachment to the subject matter. ;)

Doc, Doc, Doc, Doc, Doc, Doc... Clearly you don't understand the world. I am a shandy drinking southern ponce (in the British sense - see here); a lilly-livered, enviro-nazi liberal, egg-head communist (in US parlance); in Australia I am a "small-L liberal". We are allowed to use hyperbole cos we are on the side of the majestic universal truth.... :sombrero:

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
Does this change anything for US hunters traveling to Canada? I haven't booked a hunting trip since these laws were enacted. I understand that it can be done but at first it was difficult and time consuming when crossing the border. Not sure how it is now, but I'd love to head up and chase some grouse north of New Hampshire.

762X39

Explorer
You will have to check but I don't believe it will change anything if you are coming into the country to hunt. If you really want a crack at the monster bucks in Saskatchewan, the Caribou in Labrador or the Moose on the east coast, you'll do what it takes.:coffee:

Canada is a great country. They're humble enough to admit when they're wrong, and smart enough to allow others to be as wrong as they want and not interfere. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles