Slightly modified 110 camper from Austria

LandyChris

Hallo,

I found this portal a few days ago and decided to introduce my car (and me)
I am from Austria, 36 years old and drive Land Rovers for over 17 years. I started with a modified SIII diesel and own my 1985 110 for over 10 years now.
It was a rusty n.a. diesel with broken gearbox originally, but I changed to a modified 200 TDI and a 1,41 transfer box a few years ago.

Other mods:
raised suspension
255/85 R16
rear diff lock
camper roof
fridge inside

TGV Turbo from an Audi will be installed within the next weeks. (I do all the mods and repairs myself)

I used it daily for several years and now I use it for travelling and offroading.
So if anyone is travelling to Austria just send pm for a coffee;)
Greets from Innsbruck
Chris
DSCN1585.jpgDSCN1605.jpgDSCN1586.jpgDSCN1622.jpg110camper.jpgtrip.jpgtrip3.jpg

Last edited:

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
Hi Chris,

Nice work, looks like you are getting great usage from the Defender. The awning etc looks very comfortable as well for camping trips. Are all these photos from Austria?

Cheers,
Humphrey

LandyChris

The 1st 4 pics show my old pop top, it was just for more room insight, I had to sleep in the back of my car. In 2008 I wanted to build a pop top myself, but I got a hardtop roof tent at a good price and decided to fix it on my 110 as it seemed to fit properly. I can get up in my bed from inside my car.
As I'm just modifying the interior, I don't have any pics at the moment. (I will look for some older ones). I have/ had a cupboard on the left side, a bench on the right and in front of the cupboard the fridge and the water and behind the front seats a folding bench. It was quite simple but I was able to build my bed within 1 or 2 minutes.

Austria isn't great for offroading, you are not allowed to go offroading. Pics were taken in Italy and Sardinia.
Chris

Ooops

Observer
Hi Chris,
Thanks for sharing, it looks like a very nice vehicle. I like the idea of accessing the RTT from within the vehicle. What's the mod on the driver's side load bay windows. Have you simply replaced the glass or does it allow you access from outside?

Thanks

Olly

Gren_T

Adventurer
Hi Chris,
Welcome to the Expo.
nice truck & good to hear you do the work yourself I'll be in salzburg & bavaria early june prior to the bad kissengen show maybee see you there.

regards

Gren

LandyChris

Olly, i mounted a chequer plate instead of the driver's side load bay window as I have my storage system in this area.

Gren, Salzburg is not far away from my home, I am in Salzburg quite often, as we have a house there. I plan to go to Bad Kissingen. We have a 2 week trip with the Landy before Bad Kissingen and we'll be back Friday evening (06-08-2012) If I'll be there may we'll find time for a coffee (or a beer)

Gren_T

Adventurer
Hi chris
a beer and a look over your landy would be good, we are looking to drive the "romantic road" in germany prior to the bad K show, the wife is busy planning the route and stops at the moment.

regards

gren

aka rover

Adventurer
Do you have any pics of the interior sleeping arangments, I am building a 5 door expo. rig and am looking for ideas.

Nice Rig!

repete

Observer
Great looking defender, and welcome to Expo. I've been to Innsbruck many times in my youth. Amazing place! My family used to visit a small village in the mountains above wörgol (I know I'm spelling it wrong). niederau was the place. I'd love to get back there some day!
Pete

LandyChris

Find some pics of the fixing of the roof a few years ago. You can see the cupboard on IMG_0335klein on the left side.

Attachments

• IMG_0290-klein.jpg
    IMG_0290-klein.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0306-klein.jpg
    IMG_0306-klein.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0311klein.JPG
    IMG_0311klein.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0313klein.JPG
    IMG_0313klein.JPG