1982 Toyota Pickup

Overbear

Observer
One thing you can look into is what gear ratio (R&P) the truck came stock with. A lot people assume because it is a Toyota pickup it came with 4.10's and that is not always the case especially with the 79-83's.

My 79 came with 4.37's stock and a friends 80 came with 3.90's. The difference was quite noticeable between the two as the 4.37's were much better for the 31-32" tire size I was running at that point in time especially on the highway. You can remove a drive shaft on either axle and look at the color of paint on the pinion. Thats really the only way to know for sure :bike_rider:

Man this thread really makes me want to dust the cob webs off my 79 :coffeedrink:

Don't count on that, the only real way to be sure is to pull the 3rd and count teeth. My old 83 had never had the 3rd pulled, but had no marking at all for what gear set was in it.

pat92

So I know I started this thread to show my new to me 1982 Pickup, but if anyone else has any first gen Toyota 4x4 PICKUP'S (1979-1983)please share a photo and quick list of specs or any mods. Only Toyota Pickups though please, there's already other threads for latter year Toyota's.

randito

I love seeing older, relatively stock trucks on here. Therefore my advice would be to not be afraid to keep your truck stock. Get it mechanically solid and use it a little before you worry about upgrades. You said your goals were light trails and camping so I don't think you need 33's, lockers and a winch for that. Just because others have highly modified trucks to suit their purposes doesn't mean that you need one to suit yours.

pat92

You nailed it on the head perfectly randito, KEEP IT STOCK! To many of these old trucks along with so many other old Toyota's, Land Cruiser's, and many more get ruined (imo), with all the lifts and huge tires. Now making a dependent overland vehicle is a different story and for the most part that is kinda what I'm shooting for. A wannabe overland vehicle. I know that a standard cab 82 pickup with a little four cylinder isn't the pinacale overlander, but for me it will be perfect. Although I'm always day dreaming about trips down the coast and into South America those won't be happening for a while (I'm only 19 right now) a stock 82 pickup will be great. That's where the tire debate is coming from. A lot of people have said 30in or 31in tires are not big enough, but when I'm out on the road in some little unknown town it sure will be nice knowing that almost everyone carries 30x9.50rR15's on hand and that there will be no wait when getting spares.

Unorthodox

So I know I started this thread to show my new to me 1982 Pickup, but if anyone else has any first gen Toyota 4x4 PICKUP'S (1979-1983)please share a photo and quick list of specs or any mods. Only Toyota Pickups though please, there's already other threads for latter year Toyota's.

here's my '79, PO upgraded to a 22r and 5spd though its on 31x10.5's which were the smallest tires I could fit on the rims it came with, once I get new rims I'm aiming the same way as you, 33x9.5's. Im saving up for a VW TDI swap though, the 22r in this one is pretty tired (very) and the yards here in DFW dont get many old toyotas in and they part them out before I can ever make it out.

000_0055.jpg000_0052.jpg000_0053.jpg000_0054.jpg

Here's a picture of mine

I picked this up at a yard sale nearly three years ago for $250:

The previous owner had hacked up the bed and stripped the interior as he planned to turn it into a buggy. It was running rough, had an oil leak, needed some better doors and was overheating. I took care of everything and then pressure washed the engine to prep it for tearing into the engine to replace the head gasket. On a whim I checked the thermostat and that was the culprit so I did not have to do the head gasket. A few weeks after purchasing the truck, I took my son out camping in it. We were taking a two lane highway to the mountains near where we live. There was a full sized Ford truck behind me at the base of the hill so I pulled off to let him by so that I wouldn't hold him up. I ended up riding his tail up the inclines as my little truck had no problems with the steep grades.

I have used it as a tractor on my property for the past two years and the only problem I have had is that it cuts out on me at times going up the steep switchback road at the back of my property. Not sure if this is a float issue or something else but I will need to get if fixed before I do much with it I am planning on building it up for moderate to hard trails here in Colorado and Utah. I have a pile of parts to do high steer, dual cases, Rear up front and Chevy's in rear lift and 35" tires. With that and a locker in the rear I should be good to go for the trails I plan on running.

Good luck with yours and please keep us posted.

Kevin

pat92

Sorry no new pictures yet but all have some soon. I was wondering of what everyone thinks about running Mobil 1 10w30 in the 22r once it is all rebuilt. All run a conventional oil for break in but once everything has settled in what does everyone think about Mobil?

Overbear

Observer
Last 8 cars (two 4x4 toyota trucks, 2 vw bugs, 1 honda, 1 subaru forester XT, 1 camry, and a 470whp SBC in a 70 nova) I ran and still run on Mobil 1 exclusively. I only use Mobil 1 filters, and oil, and I have yet to have any problems at all.

I added a 4.7 gear set to my t-case and have used it for years. If I were to do it again though I would definitely spend a little extra and go for the dual transfer cases instead. The reason being more gears and having the stock low range is the best for driving off road in snow imo.

For driving in snow i'd absolutely use the 4:1 gear. ButI'd also have at least 35x12,5x15" gladly 37x12,5 or 38x15,5 with 4 lbs ... 38" would make the car silly, but for DRIVING IN SNOW i'd choose a modified car. Not stock.

pat92

Well sorry it took so long everyone, but the engine's finally out and here't the latest on the old truck. IMG_3224.jpgIMG_3230.jpgIMG_3231.jpg

J

JWP58

This has potential to be a ************ rig....

Love this model/bodystyle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles