First Bike - 1979 yamaha dt175f - Need advice

crismateski

American Adventurist
I have the opportunity to buy a 1979 Yamaha dt175f for $185. It is an enduro, but at some point the headlight, and tail light and turn signals were taken off of it. I can pick up the bike for a couple hundred bucks, it is pretty clean, and runs good. The problem is I don't know anything about bikes. Any idea what it might take to put lights back on the bike so I could get it registered?

I have been wanting to get something that would be good to earn on that I can put around the fire roads in Big Bear on. I am not looking for something to ride on the streets, but it does need to be street legal.

Think this is a good opportunity for me, or more trouble then it is worth.

Cris

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
You'll need head light, tail light, turn signals, mirrors and horn.

I'm not familiar with the "DX"... I know about the DT which was street legal, and MX, which wasn't.

If the bike has a brake light switch on the brake pedal, and has the switch cluster on the left handlebar for headlight, turn signals and horn, then it won't be a big deal - the wiring harness should have the wires you need - otherwise you'll have to run the wiring yourself.

Also, if the bike has the switch clusters, they'll have threaded sockets for the mirrors.

Parts are getting scarce. You can usually find some stuff on eBay, but it's hit or miss with parts these days.

There is a place in North Hollywood called "Johnson and Wood" that has a pile of milk crates full of turn signals and mirrors, especially bunches of the old 6 volt stuff. But, YOU have to dig through the crates to find what you need.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/johnson-and-wood-north-hollywood

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Oh...and I forgot to say...

Unless you like to tinker and screw around a lot - a '70s enduro might not be for you. I'd recommend getting a 4-stroke from the '80s instead. It'll be a lot easier to find parts and require a lot less monkeying around.

crismateski

American Adventurist
You'll need head light, tail light, turn signals, mirrors and horn.

I'm not familiar with the "DX"... I know about the DT which was street legal, and MX, which wasn't.

If the bike has a brake light switch on the brake pedal, and has the switch cluster on the left handlebar for headlight, turn signals and horn, then it won't be a big deal - the wiring harness should have the wires you need - otherwise you'll have to run the wiring yourself.

Also, if the bike has the switch clusters, they'll have threaded sockets for the mirrors.

Parts are getting scarce. You can usually find some stuff on eBay, but it's hit or miss with parts these days.

There is a place in North Hollywood called "Johnson and Wood" that has a pile of milk crates full of turn signals and mirrors, especially bunches of the old 6 volt stuff. But, YOU have to dig through the crates to find what you need.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/johnson-and-wood-north-hollywood

Thank you for the information, I just double checked and it is the DT, not sure where I got dx from. I will correct the original post.

I will ask if it has the cluster and switchs. I see some turn signals on ebay and they seem pretty cheap, I just dont want to end up with a project that I cant finish and cant register. I was not really ready to purchase a bike, but a running bike for $185 got my attention.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Personally...a running '79 DT175 for under $200...I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Also ask if the 2-stroke oil pump is working, or if it's been disconnected. These bikes have a tank under the seat for the 2-stroke oil, and the pump automagically injects it into the intake. On a lot of the bikes, the pump has been disconnected and you have to manually mix the oil and fuel before pouring it into the tank. Not a deal breaker if you ask me, but something to be aware of.

jamm

Observer
If it runs, buy it quick. For a 30+ year old bike they do pretty good. Especially for someone to learn on. I started out with a '79 DT125 and loved it, of course that was in '79 also. That little 125 hauled me all over Kansas back-trails in the day. If I could find one local to me that ran, it would be in my garage.

crismateski

American Adventurist
Well, I am buying the bike today, but wont pick it up for a few days. Here are some not so great photos

Yamaha175009.jpg

Yamaha175008.jpg

Yamaha175007.jpg

Yamaha175006.jpg

Yamaha175004.jpg

Unfortunately I cant get the scooter :)

crismateski

American Adventurist
Went to DMV today, got it registered no problem :wings: Now I just need to get some lights and learn how to ride :roost:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Nice! That's a helluva deal.

You can find some OEM parts here if you need them:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1979-yamaha-dt175f/o/m7083

Though strangely, Boats.net seems to usually have a few more than Bike Bandit...

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1979/DT175F/parts.html

I've ordered from these guys. It's hit or miss to find what you need, but they have stuff laying around even they don't know about. Brenda is cool to deal with, so if in doubt send her an email and let them dig through what they've got:

http://www.bikeboneyard.com/

And you can learn a lot from here:

http://www.yamahaenduro.com/

crismateski

American Adventurist
Thank you for the links. I never would have thought about checking a boat website for parts, but they seem to have a lot to offer

Cris

AMDemon

Observer
you do know that is a 6volt system right?

not that its a bad thing just wanted to make sure you knew that.
my buddy just bought one of those, and he payed 600.00.
and from what we here they have crank seal issues. but other than that not a horrible purchase.

crismateski

American Adventurist
Thanks for the warning, I am aware that it is 6v. I was hoping to just do some aftermarket lights, but most of what I am finding is 12v. So I am looking at to options, 1, find an original style light 2, convert bike to 12v

Looks like the original style is the way to go for now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles