New Apple products for 2012: Speculation and wish list

haven

Expedition Leader
Apple is expected to announce the next iPhone on or near Sept 12, with delivery starting later that month. The usual pundits are predicting the new iPhone will have the following features:

faster processor -- either the A5X from the current iPad, or a new design with four processor cores. Either will be based on the ARM Cortex-A9 design. (There probably hasn't been enough time to design and fabricate microprocessors based on the new Cortex-A15 design. Look for the A15 next Spring in the next iPad.)

4G LTE for cellular data -- this is a lock, since Verizon and AT&T have said they won't carry new phones that don't offer LTE

4 inch screen -- screen will have 1136x640 pixels, up from current 960x640. That's the right size for widescreen movies without letterboxing. The larger screen will allow 5 rows of app icons, instead of 4 rows in the current phone.

So the phone will be somewhat longer, but about the same width. The extra length makes room for a larger battery, needed by LTE and the faster processor.

iOS 6 -- a major makeover of the iPhone operating system

some form of NFC (near field communications) -- the Passbook feature of iOS 6 will be a great match with NFC

smaller dock connector -- goodbye 30 pin dock, hello 9 to 15 pin dock

smaller SIM card

some improvements to the rear-facing camera.

Any other improvements you'd like to see in the new iPhone?

Also rumored is an upgrade to the iPod Touch. The current Touch is like an iPhone 4, including the 960x640 Retina display, but without the cellular radio. Will Apple upgrade the Touch to be like the new iPhone, with longer screen and faster processor?

haven

Expedition Leader
The smaller iPad may also be announced in September. Or Apple may wait until October, which is still early enough for holiday sales.

Rather than call an iPad with a smaller screen the iPad Mini, James Kendrick of ZDNet thinks the new product should be called the iBook. This would emphasize that the small iPad is an Amazon Kindle Fire competitor, and it would inject new life into Apple's iBook service, which has been a bit of a flop. Pair the iBook with some special deals from textbook publishers, and school districts might be attracted.

http://www.zdnet.com/ipad-mini-nah-here-comes-the-ibook-7000002684/

haven

Expedition Leader
Apple is inviting the tech press to a meeting next week. Most observers think that Apple will announce a smaller version of the iPad. And the most common guess as to screen size is 7.85 inches. Here's how that could look, compared to 7 inch tablets like the Nexus 7, and to the full size iPad. (See below for link to the source of the image.)

ipad-mini-4.jpg

It makes sense that Apple would leave the "tall and narrow" screen layout to the iPhone and iPod Touch, and retain the 4:3 screen ratio for the smaller iPad. That way, all magazines and publications that have been prepared for the original iPad will display properly on the smaller iPad. And the huge software library available for the iPad should run without issues.

The next iPad's screen is wider and taller than the typical 7 inch tablet, but I expect the bezel around the screen will be reduced. That will make the overall size of the next iPad be only a little larger than the 7 inch tablets. Since people often hold the tablet by grasping the bezel between thumb and fingers, it will be interesting to see if the smaller bezel poses any problems.

It seems likely to me that the next iPad will distinguish itself by being thinner and lighter than competitors' 7 inch tablets. That will make it easier to balance the next iPad in one hand.

Note I've said "next iPad" instead of the name commonly used in the press, "iPad Mini." I think Apple will use a different name, something like iPad Air, to emphasize the thin and light aspect. "Mini" makes me think of reduced capacity and performance, both of which should be on par with the current full size iPad.

Another way the next iPad will distinguish itself is by offering models with a cellular modem on board. Amazon's Kindle has WhisperNet, but it's not intended to be a way to access general information from the Internet.

Apple has had success selling its full size iPad at a higher price than competitors' Android tablets. It looks like tablets that run Windows RT and Windows 8 will be priced high, also (at least initially). So I don't expect the next iPad to be priced as low as the Amazon Kindle or Google Nexus 7 tablets. Fortunately, iPads and iPhones have held their value in the used marketplace, so you can recoup some of that extra investment when it comes time to sell in a year or two.

What are your thoughts about a smaller iPad?

(The image comes from a Gizmodo article, http://gizmodo.com/5924849/the-size...-compared-to-the-ipad-nexus-7-and-kindle-fire It appears that the original image comes from someone who posts as Trojan Kitten on Twitter. http://twitter.yfrog.com/h36j2np )

Scott Brady

Founder
I would like a smaller iPad. Having a Macbook Air, I would benefit more from a smaller, lighter iPad as both a reader and navigation tool.

I am also hoping to see a new Mac Mini, iMac and Mac Pro in the coming months - our office is in a holding pattern for all of these upgrades.

reece146

Automotive Artist
I never understood the point of a smaller iPad until recently. There were some niche cases but it seemed a step backward. I've been back in the office the last month+ and have had to interact with humans and in talking with the fairer sex I see a need for something smaller. The grasp that I use to hold the iPad in my left hand (pinky wrapped under, clamps against third finger and heel of palm) doesn't work for them because it is too much weight and their hands are too small.

I hope this new form factor doesn't ultimately replace the "large" iPad. I haven't liked the smallness of the Android devices in this smaller form factor that I've encountered.

haven

Expedition Leader
I think the original iPad is easy to use when you're seated. It's not easy to do much with the iPad while standing. I think the smaller iPad will be easier to use when you need to be mobile. The smaller size will be easier to tote around, and will fit better in a vehicle interior.

I'm using an iPad case called Tab-Mate from Mightypouch.com that has a slot for my hand on the back. This allows me to carry the iPad securely in one hand. The Tab-Mate is unique in that the handle (they call it a Tab-Mitt) is fastened to the case by velcro. This allows me to position the location and angle of the strap to fit the way I want to hold it. Or to remove it altogether. Other iPad cases with handhold are not as flexible.
http://mightypouch.com/tablets-e-readers/tab-mate/standardtab-mate.html

haven

Expedition Leader
Apple sent out invitations to the computer industry press today, inviting them to a meeting October 23 in Cupertino. Speculation is that a smaller iPad will be announced as part of a meeting that focuses on digital publishing. Apple's iBooks program has been a bit of a dud, compared to Amazon and Barnes and Noble's offerings.

Ideas about where a smaller iPad should be priced are all over the map. Amazon and Google say their $199 tablets are being sold very close to the cost of making them. Apple could match the price, and effectively destroy Android tablet sales this holiday season. But I think this is unlikely. The cheapest iPad today is the iPad 2 with 16GB and WiFi only, price $399. The smaller iPad could be priced at $299, and see significant sales. Other models with more memory and a 4G cellular modem will run up the cost.

The reason why Apple waited until Oct 23 to make the announcement probably is due to Microsoft's plan to roll out the new Windows 8 tablets on Oct 26. Prices for Windows 8 tablets look like they have matched the current iPad prices, meaning $500 to $850, depending on options. A smaller iPad priced below $300 could make people think twice about the new Windows 8 devices. Microsoft is counting on the attraction of running Windows software like Microsoft Office to keep demand up, even at higher prices.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Rumor has it that the 10/23 event will also include new/updated Mac Minis, a 13" macbook Pro Retina and iMacs.

No mention if they will be offering newly updated stickers for the back of your car.

BlueGerbil

C´est le gerbil plus bleu
My personal Apple wish list:
- 15" MBP w/ retina display, not much larger then my 13.3" MBP 2011 now, QuadCore i7 ULV, 1 TB SSD, no optical drive, retina display
- "dumb" 27" display to match my Thunderbolt display, but cheaper
- iPhone 5 128GB (yeah, I keep lots of photos and music on it!)
- iPad 4 (same size, 128GB - see above - retina display, integrated camera connection kit (read: SD card slot) for viewing photos of my DSLR)

I think the next iPhone will have 128gb as a option. I'd really like to see them take the conventional 2.5in SSD into the 1-2TB range I like the fact that I could buy a new MacBook with the cheapest HDD in it then swap it out and not have to wait hours to transfer. Of course since I only have 20gb free I want a bigger SSD. After using my wife's iMac which has the combo I'd much rather have it like it is on my MacBook Pro. I rarely see the spinning wheel of patience anymore on mine. I think the retina display will be all across the board in a year or two.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I think the next iPhone will have 128gb as a option. I'd really like to see them take the conventional 2.5in SSD into the 1-2TB range I like the fact that I could buy a new MacBook with the cheapest HDD in it then swap it out and not have to wait hours to transfer. Of course since I only have 20gb free I want a bigger SSD. After using my wife's iMac which has the combo I'd much rather have it like it is on my MacBook Pro. I rarely see the spinning wheel of patience anymore on mine. I think the retina display will be all across the board in a year or two.

SSD and regular HDD you want to leave some breathing room :) helps a lot still try to leave %40 open if ya can :)

agree want HUGE SSD :)

haven

Expedition Leader
In addition to the iPad Mini, Apple announced several new products today.

1. new version of iBooks with continuous scrolling
iBookstore 1.5 million titles

2. updated MacBook Pro

13 inch screen, 2560x1600 pixels
Intel Core i5 or i7 processor, "Ivy Bridge"
up to 8 GB RAM, 768 GB flash storage
dual Thunderbolt ports
dual USB 3.0
SD card slot, HDMI output
Magsafe electric plug
Facetime HD front-facing camera, 720p

base model $1700
2.5 GHz i5 processor, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB flash
available today

3. updated Mac Mini
Core i5 or i7 ivy Bridge
up to 16 GB RAM
1 TB hard drive or 256 GB SSD
Four USB 3.0 ports
SD card reader

base model $500
2.5 GHz Core i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB flash

server model $1000
2.3 GHz Core i7, 4 GB RAM, twin 1 TB hard drives

4. updated iMac
super thin, lighter than before

21.5-inch LCD, 1,920 x 1,080 pixels
27 inch LCD, 2,560 x 1,440 pixels
Intel Core i5 or i7
up to 32 GB RAM
up to 768 GB flash memory or 3 TB hard drive
three Thunderbolt ports, four USB 3.0 ports
720p Facetime camera

"fusion drive" option
combination of flash and hard disc, best of both
128 GB flash plus 1 TB or 3 TB hard drive
OS and apps on flash, hard drive for storage

21 inch base price $1300
2.7 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB hard drive

27 inch base price $1800
2.9 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB hard drive

5. updates for original iPad
Apple sold 100 million iPads in 2.5 years
new version of iBook Author to help create new content

4th generation iPad
A6X processor (iPhone 5 uses A6, iPad 3 uses A5X)
doubles CPU and graphics performance compared to iPad 3
Facetime 720p camera
LTE cellular modem
Lightning smaller power and accessory adapter port

prices stay the same, just double the performance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne