Multi Battery Isolator

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Just a comment regarding the manual switch...

If the "surge problem" with solenoids - described in that one brochure as destroying batteries - was real (it isn't); then using a manual switch would have the same problem.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Anyone every used one of these. ...
I am :)

isolator.JPG
isolator2.JPG

...and added simple battery disconnect switch as the method of combining batteries. I manually combine them under the hood. The way it is set up this battery charges when the truck is running. It remains full and fresh. When I need extra reserve for winching operations or in the event I drain down the starting battery, I combine them and "jump start" myself.

batteryswitch.JPG

My alternator does use remote sensing. Many of the DG, AD and CS alternators have this capability too. At first I was a little worried about the effect having the batteries separated most of the time. Would they stay fully charged? Could one get over charged?
Nope. Works just fine :)

Works great and worry free.

General Automag

Adventurer
Like you, I researched and read a lot about isolators and dual battery kits. I settled on a 275-amp dual battery kit from Ironman4x4.com http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/motorised275amp.html. I am VERY pleased with the kit. I installed the switch in a full-size Chevrolet Silverado pickup and plan to put the same setup in an FJ40 Land Cruiser.

The hookup is relatively simple, but I have to say that it was a bit of a pain wiring up the remote override switch. The kit is a good value if you don't have all of your wiring and connectors. It works flawlessly, and I purposely let the main battery die down just to check out the functioning of the unit.

The IronMan4x4 kit is made by BEP Marine, and the switch is a BEP Marine 701-MD http://www.bepmarine.com/home-mainm...ote-operated-motorised-battery-switch-275amps. I found it online from $145 to $189.

I examined the National Luna and Hellroaring units as well. Both of these companies seem to make good products, but what really sold me was that the IronMan4x4 / BEP Marine dual battery switch is indeed a "marine" switch made for harsh and wet conditions which is perfect for under the hood of an off-road vehicle.

If anyone can source the "dual LED battery monitor," which is also made by BEP Marine, please let me know.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thank you for posting Henry. It is your simple switch system that I will most likely be installing when I get to Canada this summer. What a great idea at a bargain price!:)

roving

Observer
Well the reason I'm using it, I have it. I have a range rover which likes to suck power if you leave something on. It seems to keep up with my winch fine as long as the engine is on. The engine can actually tell when the battery is taking a larger load and will idle up automatically. it goes up to 1500 rpm if i've been doing a long uphill pull. Kind of cool.

My major concern of course is if my Bosch alternator will be alright. I've since found on another rover forum that there are a few people running the high tech fancy Multi battery isolators.

I don't really care about having all the lights and fancy indicators. I just want something that is hooked up and i can forget about it. KISS is my principle with my vehicle. I don't think that just because it looks cool its going to do that much more.

My second battery will be a back-up and I'd like to run a Fridge and larger inverter off of it.

I have a 1000CCA 150Ah battery up front right now. I'll probably use a deep cell battery for the rest of the stuff. I have HID bulbs in my headlights and 6.5 spot lights, so they don't pull as much power as the old Halogens did. I also deleted the Nav system, Air Suspension and some other out dated crap that sucked a lot of juice at start up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles