AR: DPMS or Del-Ton?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The AR rabbit hole runs deep... Lots of differing opinions on various brands and gucci parts.

The more I read, the more I see its personal pref mostly. The big PITA is sourcing the correct parts, Colt LPK's and other various "nicer" bits seem to be hard to find in stock.

This is going to be fun ;)

MP@HOME

Observer
You can get a CA. legal colt first ,one of the top ARs
Then build another AR later and another and///////////

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
another to consider for building/parts is DSA. I put an AR together for my son and bought an upper that was complete less gas tube, foreend and front sight for around $300. The fit and finish is nice and it's been accurate and reliable.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Another vote for building your own here!

IMAG0298.jpg

I was able to build EXACTLY what I wanted with what I would call higher end parts for about the price of a base off the shelf AR.

Aero Precision lower from AIM Surplus ( Aero Precision is probably the major 'maker' of AR lowers, they make lowers for a LOT of companies )
Daniel Defense lower parts kit ( GREAT quality parts, Great service grade trigger, fair price )
Magpul MOE furniture kit ( grip, stock, buffer tube, buffer, buffer spring, and a forearm I didn't use )
Ambi Safety ( must have in my opinion )

Bravo Company 'Blem' upper ( came with the dust cover and forward assist ), M4 feed ramps
Bravo Company barrel, 14.5", 1 in 7, mid length gas system, Nato chamber, M4 feed ramps
Yankee Hill Machine low profile gas block and stainless gas tube
Yankee Hill Machine rifle length full floating forarm
Bravo Company bolt group
Bravo Company gunfighter charging handle

I pinned and welded the muzzle device myself to make it all legal.

All in all a GREAT rifle for the money and far more capable than I am most of the time....

Build your own....its worth it!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Pricing parts

Been pricing parts. I can get the DPMS Panther OTD for less than 7 bills... I don't know if I can buy the gucci parts you guys are listing for that price. Daniel Defense and Bravo Co seem pretty expensive at a glance. Looked at Noveske too... nice.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Definitely build your own. It's not very hard, and there are some good resources out there to help you through the process. There are a set of videos on the Brownells web site that I found useful when I built my first AR, and there are also a couple books available that walk you through the process step by step. A few specialized tools are needed, but I think you should have those anyway to maintain your rifle.

The components I'd be most particular about would be the barrel, the bolt, and the trigger.

Unless you are buying from some fly by night company, a lower is a lower is a lower. Pretty much the same goes for the upper receiver. You might prefer the finish on one brand vs. another, but they are all going to work fine and don't have a significant impact on accuracy or reliability if built to spec. For aesthetics you might want to buy the upper and lower from the same company so the finish matches, but any will fit together.

I've never had an issue with any of the lower parts kits I've used, and I've used DPMS, RRA and even some un-branded parts. I've not had an issue with any of the kits I've used.

The barrel will have the most significant impact on the accuracy of the rifle. White Oak Armament makes good barrels. I also hear good things about the barrels sold by Rainier Arms. I have an 18" SPR format rifle with a Superior Barrel. These barrels are little more expensive than some, but they build accurate barrels, they will properly head space the bolt for you, and I like their proprietary "hard-blue" finish.

A quality trigger is a big improvement over the stock triggers that come in most lower parts kits. I'd recommend a Geissele trigger. If you are going to buy a higher end trigger to start with you can save a few bucks by finding a lower parts kit that comes without a trigger.

As far as the bolt goes I would just make sure to use one from a reputable brand to ensure you get a reliable part.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
It all boils down to what you want to end up with. Most people I see tend to buy an off the shelf AR from the gun shop and then spend the next 2-3 years tinkering with it....change the trigger, add this stock or forearm, take that off, etc. By the time they are 'done' they have WAY more than they would have if they would have just built it. Rough numbers when I built mine I had less than $1000. I watched for deals and tried to buy good parts at good prices...

My lower was less than $100 delivered and with the FFL transfer. My 'blem' upper was like $50. I did spend a little more on the barrel, bolt, and lower parts kit than most people would have, but I figure those are really the key parts in making it go bang and getting the lead on target.

100group.jpg

This was a random group at 100 yards with 55 grain Federal bulk pack from WallyWorld. Zero magnification and 3MOA red dot. I knew I pulled the 3rd shot that went wide right. Still, all in all for a 14.5" barrel and no-magnification....pretty decent for just a fun working style rifle.

I guess it depends what you want....what do you want?

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Been pricing parts. I can get the DPMS Panther OTD for less than 7 bills... I don't know if I can buy the gucci parts you guys are listing for that price. Daniel Defense and Bravo Co seem pretty expensive at a glance. Looked at Noveske too... nice.

It probably would be tough to put together a build with a price tag under 7 bills. Perhaps it could be done with some careful shopping and a strong commitment to resist the temptation to choose the more expensive part, which might be an interesting challenge in its own right.

That sort of build strategy certainly would not be in line with the ExPo way though. In the spirit of being prepared for any eventuality regardless of cost I should think your minimum requirement would be a rifle capable of shooting sub-MOA at 1000 yards. I'd hate to think of you being out in the wild risking life and limb with substandard equipment.

Perhaps you should consider selling your titanium wiffle ball bat to help finance the build of a real stick. ;)

Seriously, it really depends on your objectives. If you're just looking for a fun rifle to do some plinking in the desert I'd guess either would be suitable. If you are thinking about warding off a Zombie attack both of these rifles will shoot minute-of-bad guy at any reasonable distance. I'd have a hard time choosing between the two solely based on brand reputation, but might lean a little in the direction of Del-Ton all things being equal.

Team Ball's Out

Adventurer
Fla trip 225.jpgFla trip 226.jpgFla trip 227.jpgFla trip 224.jpgFla trip 223.jpgJust build them, I did and love them. One is a bushmaster and the other is Rock river arms both have a 9 in one twist and chrome moly barrels. love them both

Both I have been hitting targets at 500 yds with Wolf Ammo.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
It probably would be tough to put together a build with a price tag under 7 bills. Perhaps it could be done with some careful shopping and a strong commitment to resist the temptation to choose the more expensive part, which might be an interesting challenge in its own right.

That sort of build strategy certainly would not be in line with the ExPo way though. In the spirit of being prepared for any eventuality regardless of cost I should think your minimum requirement would be a rifle capable of shooting sub-MOA at 1000 yards. I'd hate to think of you being out in the wild risking life and limb with substandard equipment.

Perhaps you should consider selling your titanium wiffle ball bat to help finance the build of a real stick. ;)

Seriously, it really depends on your objectives. If you're just looking for a fun rifle to do some plinking in the desert I'd guess either would be suitable. If you are thinking about warding off a Zombie attack both of these rifles will shoot minute-of-bad guy at any reasonable distance. I'd have a hard time choosing between the two solely based on brand reputation, but might lean a little in the direction of Del-Ton all things being equal.

LOL, I hear ya. I think at this point I'm just looking to add exactly that, a fun rifle that can shoot minute of bad guy at a reasonable price that is of mid level quality. I think the DPMS or the DTI fit that bill.

But I'm still stuck in the AR rabbit hole reasearching things... ;)

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Building one is pretty fun :)

If you don't really have a preference on what you want for features, than buying a complete entry level one is the way to go. Personally I wanted my current AR to have the shortest no-sticker barrel possible and a long forearm for a better sight radius and hand position. Getting those things in the aftermarket was hard. I also REALLY like the extended charging handle and ambi-safety I built into this one, those make great useful operation aids in my opinion.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
AR platform rifle (s)

I like the McFarland one piece gas ring, the heavier the carrier the better, forged mid length upper (chrome) w/flat-top, swan rail w/integral rear sight topped off w/Comp-M w/ARD.

I use a storage hand grip and keep a spare bolt assembly/broken shell extractor/ along w/other parts that can be easily lost in the field. In the many decades I've used the AR-M16 platform I've had a few bolt failures at critical moments not a good feeling, but backup fixed it.

Drums are my preferred method of feed, yea I know it's a bit much but "I can & drums too".

BushPilot 001.jpgBushPilot 002.jpgBushPilot 003.jpg

Last edited:

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Building your own is the way to go. I've assembled a handful of lowers, 2 of them for myself. Then I added a complete upper.

I think I have the most fun shooting my short, simple, lightweight AR (top one). JD lower, DD parts kit, DD upper with 14.5" lightweight barrel, midlength gas system, Battlecomp muzzle break, DD fixed rear sight, and magpul furniture. There's a lot to be said about simplicity. And being so light it's much easier to manipulate and it's plenty accurate enough for me. With iron sights I can hit steel pigs at 400 yards standing up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles