Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR: DPMS or Del-Ton?

Question AR: DPMS or Del-Ton?

There are a myriad of different AR's on todays market and a few AR's available local that I am looking at. Two are by DPMS and Del-Ton

Which brand is better or is it a wash? Rifles are M-4 style and in the $700-$800 price range here in CA and legal

Salient points:

Del-Ton is around $800, same as above but with NICE Mag Pull furniture. Seems like a heavier barrel and nicer overall.

Looks like this one: http://www.del-ton.com/DTI_16_Carbin...th16-moeod.htm

DPMS is around $700, M4 style with flat rail and bayonet lug with Pardus M4 style telescoping stock.

Looks like this one: http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=57

What to do?
    Member #203

Adventures in and out of your vehicle: AMERICAN ADVENTURIST

Obviously the easy answer is "That depends on your application"...but seriously, it does depend a lot on how you see it being shot. If you're carrying it a lot the DPMS may be the way to go b/c you'll save some weight with the pencil barrel over the Del-ton heavy barrel. Some would say the lack of a front sight on the DPMS makes it a better application for optics (depends on what optic you want to go with).

All that being said I'd go with the Del-ton. Heavier barrel is good, Magpul stuff is nice. Fixed front sight is a good part of the backup equation should optics fail/batteries die/etc. Weight falls back to the adage that if it's too heavy...you can grow stronger.

Either way, nice enough entry level gun.
    r-
    Ray
    1996 D1 5 speed "Coyote"
    2006 D3

I'm disappointed you haven't asked me first...
    '05 Nissan Frontier Build Thread

'08 Nissan Xterra Build Thread

'09 Suzuki V Strom DL650 Build Thread

You can read all the stories and watch all the videos you want, but there's no substitute for just getting out there and doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastalDefender View Post
    I'm disappointed you haven't asked me first...
    Well, now that you've got that off your chest... which one would YOU buy and why???

Member #203

Adventures in and out of your vehicle: AMERICAN ADVENTURIST

Quote Originally Posted by TACODOC View Post
    What to do?
    Build your own. That way you have a rifle completely customized to your requirements. It isn't rocket-surgery... and you already do everything to your truck, why not your own AR? With what you save from buying a complete rifle OTS you can build a couple.
    2001 Tacoma Extended Cab, 3RZ, AT, SAC, 5.29 gears, ARB FR/RR locker, and a few other mods... Build thread, Post #33
    AMERICAN ADVENTURIST ON FACEBOOK
    Adventures in and out of your Overlanding Rig... American Adventurist

Dave, i just bought a palmetto state armory upper to go with a psa lower parts kit and JD machine stripped lower. Its all put together and it was a ton of fun to build.

Definetely recommend psa. Great costomer service and prices.
    "For He so loved the world, that He sent His only son..."

Brian
    KJ6GXX
    2001 Isuzu Trooper:"Cabby"
    2013 Chrysler T&C:"F.R.E.D"

Quote Originally Posted by TACODOC View Post
    Well, now that you've got that off your chest... which one would YOU buy and why???

Haha, I see, taking out text conversation for the whole community to absorb? lol No problem.

Here's the deal-
    RRA makes the best standard lower receiver. Bushmaster puts out fantastic barrels in specific configurations, CMMG puts out a good LPK and the DelTons of the world are great for keeping in the safe and bringing out when you want your buddies to see you bought an off the shelf AR15...

I run an Olympic Arms stripped lower receiver with a Jewel trigger on a Colt LPK. Bushmaster 16" superlight barrel on a LMT F/A bolt/carrier. LMT buffer tube w/ Magpul CTR buttstock, MIAD w/ battery insert, MOE handguard with AFG. Threw on a Surefire M300A, a YHM Stainless Phantom 5.56, EOTech 556.223 w/ FTS 3x Magnifier, and a BlueForceGear 2point adjustable sling.

Light, fast, and dead on target, I often get bored of the excellent accuracy afforded me out to 200m. Anything with further range I run my M14.

The freedom I have is the ability to build it just the way I want it , and doing it multiple times over. I have over 10 years rebuilding my main carbine, and custom building my wife and kid's carbines... She says I'm a perfectionist... I explain that's the only way I was able to settle on her...

I Edited- besides my wife's an kid's carbines, I've got professional experience building custom weapons for GH County, Pierce County, Tacoma PD, and Lynwood PD...
    Last edited by CoastalDefender; 04-11-2012 at 04:53 AM.
    '05 Nissan Frontier Build Thread

'08 Nissan Xterra Build Thread

'09 Suzuki V Strom DL650 Build Thread

You can read all the stories and watch all the videos you want, but there's no substitute for just getting out there and doing it.

Can you get a POF or LWRC? That's what I'd spend my money on. If they are not in your price range then I'd look closer at the Del Ton and try to find reviews of that one online. DPMS also makes plenty with a heavier barrel. Get the heaviest shortest barrel you can. You won't be losing enough velocity in a gas gun to warrant a longer barrel. The shorter it is the easier it is to carry, and move with. This is the same for all rifles unless your just competing off a bench. What are you going to be using this AR for?

Building your own is the way to go. Rock River has the best non-custom trigger you can put in. Any AR that uses mil spec parts will run alright. It's just what fits your needs/ wants.

Right now I have a RRA lower built from a parts kit with a bushmaster barrel on a DPMS upper. Been using the same optics for a while, aimpoint m3 in a cantilever mount in front of a 3x magnifier on a twist off mount.
    "MEN WANTED FOR HAZARDOUS JOURNEY. SMALL WAGES, BITTER COLD, LONG MONTHS OF COMPLETE DARKNESS, CONSTANT DANGER, SAFE RETURN DOUBTFUL. HONOR AND RECOGNITION IN CASE OF SUCCESS."

Ernest Shackleton’s ad placed in the London papers, recruiting members for his
    1912 Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast