Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AR: DPMS or Del-Ton?

Quote Originally Posted by TACODOC View Post
    There are a myriad of different AR's on todays market and a few AR's available local that I am looking at. Two are by DPMS and Del-Ton

Which brand is better or is it a wash? Rifles are M-4 style and in the $700-$800 price range here in CA and legal

We had a big discussion about this on CO4x4.org just yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket-scientist View Post
    Building your own is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoBlue View Post
    Build your own. That way you have a rifle completely customized to your requirements. It isn't rocket-surgery... and you already do everything to your truck, why not your own AR? With what you save from buying a complete rifle OTS you can build a couple.

Building your own is the way to go.

I built a Del-Ton 2 years ago and love it. Only took me about two hours and I am NOT the most mechanically inclined person in the world!

Here she is:

I went with a mid-length upper (Middie) for two reasons: 1. Longer sight radius (I use iron sights) and 2. longer gas tube = less violent cycling.

As far as components, I haven't checked but I'd be willing to bet that most of the "manufacturers" out there probably only actually build uppers and lower receivers - my guess is that everything else (springs, bolt/carrier, sights, furniture, even barrels) are probably sourced from the open market. Meaning that if you pay top $$ for a "premium" gun you're paying a lot for a name. And as far as the quality of lowers and uppers, I think that as long as they're in spec, they're probably all more or less functionally equal, at least to the extent that any civilian shooter would need.

I got my Del-Ton lower from JSE Surplus for about $90 and the rest of the kid I ordered directly from Del-Ton. I know Del-Ton has a reputation for being a "budget" gun but for my needs it's perfectly adequate. YMMV.

EDITED TO ADD: I should point out that my "kit" included a fully assembled upper, so all I had to "assemble" was the lower receiver and stock.
    Martin AKA Zapp Branigan KD0PHH
    2007 Toyota 4runner SR5, 4.0 V6. FJC lift, FJC black steelies, 255/75/17 BFG MTs & custom front bumper!

Wife's Vehicle: 1995 YJ "Captain Morgan", 4 cyl, 5 speed

And our Homebuilt Teardrop Trailer "Bubbles!"Other Rides: 2002 BMW R1150R; 1996 Mazda B2300 4x2 (Daily Driver)

"I am the Man with No Name - Zapp Branigan!"

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains.
    If your like me you will regret purchasing either one later on, as you start to upgrade the weapon. Hold out for what you really want, unless this is it, then I say go for the Del-Ton. I like the Magpul stuff.

If you ever put together a "Snap-Tite" model, then the AR is second nature. Only tools really needed are a couple punches for the pins and a vise to hold the upper in (in wood blocks if you don't have or buy a clamshell block)

On the "no front sight for DPMS" comment, if you scope it, with any scope over 4 power, you can see the standard front sight anyway to a moot issue.

I've built a few dozen AR's and given the choice between the two, I'd take the Delton. DPMS has had numerous issues with sub par parts, from out of spec dimensions to poor materials.

I'd use Palmetto over either.

The Great State of Denial (SC if you really want to know)
    I've got and built ARs from Del-Ton, DPMS, RRA, PSA and probably a few others. Personally I'd go with Palmetto State Armory, not only because they're a SC company, but because of the quality of their parts. Most of their barrels are FN (which is local to them) and everything is "mil-spec" which is actually a bit of a misnomer but that's another story. For standard triggers, theirs is better out of the box than most I've felt including a couple of so-called target triggers.
    05 Tacoma TRD, SR5, V6, etc
    1978 VW Westfalia
    2007 Suzuki DRZ400s

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. -Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by robert View Post
    I've got and built ARs from Del-Ton, DPMS, RRA, PSA and probably a few others. Personally I'd go with Palmetto State Armory, not only because they're a SC company, but because of the quality of their parts. Most of their barrels are FN (which is local to them) and everything is "mil-spec" which is actually a bit of a misnomer but that's another story. For standard triggers, theirs is better out of the box than most I've felt including a couple of so-called target triggers.
    Yup, in all my research it came up as having the most features for the best price...

16" A2 lightweight profile hammer-forged barrel
    Forged 7075-T6 A3 upper receiver
    Machine Gun Steel (4140? 4150? honestly, I probably couldn't tell the difference)
    5.56 Nato Chamber
    1 in 7" twist (good for heavier bullets, which I preferred since I might eventually hunt with this rig)
    Double-thick Chrome-lined bore and chamber
    M4 feedramps
    T-marks
    "F" stamped front sight block
    Standard A2 flashhider
    Full auto bolt carrier, Carpenter 158/MPI Bolt

Just to be clear, too, I added the BCG, the standard M16 charging handle, and FDE MOE handguards to my purchase. I've got all MOE stuff on my lower, and I love it. Looking to keep this carbine as light and fast handling as possible. All told it cost about $520.00 out the door, as configured, for the upper, and about $150.00 for the complete lower (which I built from a stripped lower)

Add a few pmags, and a rear sight, and I'm in it for about $750 or so.
    "For He so loved the world, that He sent His only son..."

Brian

2001 Isuzu Trooper:"Cabby"
    2009 Ford Edge:"Penny"-
    1992 XJ:
    "Daddy's Jeep" - Sold. Farewell to a great car

KJ6GXX

The AR rabbit hole runs deep... Lots of differing opinions on various brands and gucci parts.

The more I read, the more I see its personal pref mostly. The big PITA is sourcing the correct parts, Colt LPK's and other various "nicer" bits seem to be hard to find in stock.

This is going to be fun
    Dave Bennett, Member #203

Travel, Explore, Live: AMERICAN ADVENTURIST

AMERICAN ADVENTURIST ON FACEBOOK

Have you thought about Colt? Mil spec through and through. The 6720 is light weight and about $1100

http://colt6720.com/
    2005 Land Cruiser
    2007 Horizon A/T
    KG7IDK

You can get a CA. legal colt first ,one of the top ARs
    Then build another AR later and another and///////////

another to consider for building/parts is DSA. I put an AR together for my son and bought an upper that was complete less gas tube, foreend and front sight for around $300. The fit and finish is nice and it's been accurate and reliable.

Another vote for building your own here!

I was able to build EXACTLY what I wanted with what I would call higher end parts for about the price of a base off the shelf AR.

Aero Precision lower from AIM Surplus ( Aero Precision is probably the major 'maker' of AR lowers, they make lowers for a LOT of companies )
    Daniel Defense lower parts kit ( GREAT quality parts, Great service grade trigger, fair price )
    Magpul MOE furniture kit ( grip, stock, buffer tube, buffer, buffer spring, and a forearm I didn't use )
    Ambi Safety ( must have in my opinion )

Bravo Company 'Blem' upper ( came with the dust cover and forward assist ), M4 feed ramps
    Bravo Company barrel, 14.5", 1 in 7, mid length gas system, Nato chamber, M4 feed ramps
    Yankee Hill Machine low profile gas block and stainless gas tube
    Yankee Hill Machine rifle length full floating forarm
    Bravo Company bolt group
    Bravo Company gunfighter charging handle

I pinned and welded the muzzle device myself to make it all legal.

All in all a GREAT rifle for the money and far more capable than I am most of the time....

Build your own....its worth it!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast