Any pop-top camper for a family of 4?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Since our Syncro is now gone, my sister is looking for a replacement vehicle for her family (2 kids 10 and 7).

She had fun last summer starting to go a bit off road and we are thinking to go for a pick up truck and a camper.

But I can't really imagine her handling a huge Bigfoot right away.

Is there anything more compact that would still somehow sleep 4 people? I can't think of any model right now.

docdave

Aspiring overlander
Multiple possibilities, Juno by Outfitter, or an Apex with pull out bunk. Hallmark 8 or 8.5 footer or a 9.5' Cuchara with an aux bunk over the dinette. Coyote RV will build a custom however you want. Northstar makes a model with a tent camper like bunk that folds out on the side. For a family of four, you will probably be cramped on a short box truck.....something on an 8 foot box would be roomier. If hard core off road is a priority, an 8 to 8 1/2 footer on a 6 3/4 foot box truck would probably work in a pinch.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
thanks, all great suggestions indeed. - I forgot to say that they are in Canada on the East Coast, so Outfitter of Hallmark may be a bit more difficult to get.
At $28K+, plus taxes/duties and transport, it would be too expensive.

docdave

Aspiring overlander
I can see that the distance factor could be problematic, however, there are many used popup campers in the Denver area, as Hallmark, Outfitter and Coyote RV are all located there.....it is probably the highest concentration of pop up truck campers, new and used, anywhere. I bought an older Hallmark for myself for under 2500 dollars off of Craigslist about 300 miles from my home. It might be worth a trip anyway.

ExpoMike

Having a FWC Grandby, I am not sure I would want to try to squeeze in 4 people on any regular bases. With just the wife and decent size dog, it can get a little cramped. I think most pop ups are going to be a little tight as not having a fixed roof/wall, what little storage ends up in the "people" area. Hard side campers seem to end up with more room as things can be put into areas that tend to be dead space. Down side is they are more of a handful offroading.

Honestly if I was going to try to get 4 people in a pop up on a regular bases, I would seriously look at a flatbed camper setup. By not having to "notch" the floor area for wheel well clearance, it seems to free up the floor plan. I would have a side entrance so you could have a bed area at the back and the cab over area. This would greatly help from someone always being in the way with a typical rear entrance setup. This option is not cheap but is likely to be the most comfy.

My .02 worth.

haven

Expedition Leader
Through ExPo, I'm sure we could arrange to drive a truck from anywhere in USA to Québec.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
It just depends on your mindset.

If you want a full bathroom, shower, lots of beds, lots of amentities, then a pop-up camper is probably not the best option.

But if you like to keep things simple and enjoy the great outdoors, some sort of smaller truck camper can sometimes be a good choice to having to pitch a tent.

I have 2 kids (8 yr. old and 11 yr. old).

When we slept in our campers in the past, yes, it can be tight and a little crowed, but every night I'm thinking to myself ... "this is SO much better than sleeping in the tent!"

:)

Comfortable beds, out of the elements, a furnace, lights, etc.

Not for everyone, but sure beats tent camping in my opinion.

: )

(attached is a photo I got last week from a FWC customer that has 4 kids)

:O

Attachments

• DSCN0488.jpeg
    DSCN0488.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 420

UglyScout

Observer
Having a FWC Grandby, I am not sure I would want to try to squeeze in 4 people on any regular bases. With just the wife and decent size dog, it can get a little cramped. I think most pop ups are going to be a little tight as not having a fixed roof/wall, what little storage ends up in the "people" area. .

I also have a FWC Grandby (= fullsize 8' model). But I have a crew cab truck, so I have a ton of 'extra' storage when we setup camp.

Could it do 4 people? Yes - the only time it gets tight is when it is time for bed. Cooking, cleaning, storage etc is all at capacity for 4 people but it is workable.

ScottReb

Adventurer
Gotta throw in the Alaskan. Sitting in mine right now on the NorCal coast. Use it during this last winter with 2 kids and 2 dogs plus my wife and I. Plenty of sleeping room. The 8' fits short beds just fine.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles