Mitsubishi truck frame, suspension, wheel, transmission, 4wd comparisons

shov3lbum

Adventurer
So to avoid hijacking another thread, scrubber3 recommended starting a thread for looking at the frame comparisons amongst the mitsubishi trucks, such as the montero, montero sport, mighty max, etc...

It would be helpful and interesting to know what and if all these vehicle share the same frame, or if they have each had one developed specifically for their respective model. This started out with myself thinking that the montero sport was heavily based off the montero and so used the same frame, just a different body and such, and also may have had a similar suspension set-up between the two models.

Like now I am almost certain that the montero sport and montero have the same or similar front axle, 28 spline, because The Aussie Locker fits both of them (same model number) and the ARB locker fits the fronts on the monteros to the montero sports, same 28 spline model.

Chime in all, what are your experiences? Knowledge? Let's hear it! :smiley_drive:

fangars

Adventurer
So to avoid hijacking another thread, scrubber3 recommended starting a thread for looking at the frame comparisons amongst the mitsubishi trucks, such as the montero, montero sport, mighty max, etc...

It would be helpful and interesting to know what and if all these vehicle share the same frame, or if they have each had one developed specifically for their respective model. This started out with myself thinking that the montero sport was heavily based off the montero and so used the same frame, just a different body and such, and also may have had a similar suspension set-up between the two models.

Like now I am almost certain that the montero sport and montero have the same or similar front axle, 28 spline, because The Aussie Locker fits both of them (same model number) and the ARB locker fits the fronts on the monteros to the montero sports, same 28 spline model.

Chime in all, what are your experiences? Knowledge? Let's hear it! :smiley_drive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Challenger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Mighty_Max
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Pajero

I could see myself in one of these.
1992_l200_4x4.jpg

scrubber3

Not really here
Yeah, all of the Mitsu platforms are great. I will say that I have always gotten mixed results of what frames were used on what models. Upon looking for myself while turning wrenches, it didn't seem as though they were the same but fairly similar. Both are great rigs and have a good amount of interchangeable parts.

shov3lbum

Adventurer
After reading through those wikipedia articles (some confusion still remains) The Pajero Evolution looks pretty sweet, I like the boxier look of the wide fender flare vs the smooth rolling ones that are to come later. They say it was designed off the 2nd generation Pajero for some rally somewhere, kind of a modified tougher version, with engine upgrades suspensions upgrades and such.
Mitsubishi_Pajero_Evolution_01_01.jpg

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Speaking strictly about the Montero Gen I and Mighty Max/D-50/L200 Gen II, the frames are similar but there are several differences. Sway bars, trans cross members, and other subtle things. The Montero Sport is based off a much later L200 truck chassis, not the Montero Gen II.5 or Gen III.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
After reading through those wikipedia articles (some confusion still remains)
Ask away? I'm sure we can help clear it up for you...

The Pajero Evolution looks pretty sweet, I like the boxier look of the wide fender flare vs the smooth rolling ones that are to come later. They say it was designed off the 2nd generation Pajero for some rally somewhere, kind of a modified tougher version, with engine upgrades suspensions upgrades and such.
The rally they're referring to is probably the Dakar rally. It was originally run from Paris (yes, France) to Dakar (in Senegal a country in Africa). Think of the Baja 1000 (x3-4). It's typically over 3000 miles of rally with some over pavement and most over dirt in the most inhospitable terrain. The Mitsubishi Pajero has the most wins of any make entered. Robby Gordon who's won numerous off road racing titles in the US has been racing the Dakar since 2005 but has yet to win it. His best finish was 8th place in 2007.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Speaking strictly about the Montero Gen I and Mighty Max/D-50/L200 Gen II, the frames are similar but there are several differences. Sway bars, trans cross members, and other subtle things. The Montero Sport is based off a much later L200 truck chassis, not the Montero Gen II.5 or Gen III.

Russell,

I think he was talking about the Pajero Evolution in the picture. ;)

shmabs

Explorer
My 01 montero sport 3.5 shared some front and rear axle parts with a full size montero. As has been mentioned earlier, the front axle seems to be the same, my rear axles shared pinion, carrier, and outer bearings with the full size. I had a factory air locker rear axle from a 94 (?) SR, it was very similar to the rear axle assembly in my 01 sport, but there were subtle differences that would not let the housing itself bolt up. The sway-bar arrangement was different, the control arms bolted to the frame different, and i think there were a few other differences that i can't remember.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles