Off road upgrades

Runner1234

Observer
Hi, I have a 1995 chevy c1500. I wanted to know the best upgrades. Im getting a winch what lb rating should i get.(the truck weighs 6500lbs).

Revco

Adventurer
The locker will get you into places you couldn't before...the winch will get you out.

I say if you're serious about 2-wheeling it, the locker should come first, but the without the winch, you're asking for trouble.

The winch should be rated atleast 1.5 times the curb weight of the truck. So for example, a 4000lb truck needs atleast a 6000lb winch. Add a snatch block to double the pulling power and your 6k winch is now able to pull 12,000lbs, just make sure the snatch block is rated for more double the winch rating. A little 3k winch with a snatch block could be used if you're on a tight budget, but it won't always get the job done...like if you're buried up to the axles in deep mud, or on an incline hung up on a rock.

A high-lift jack would be another thing to add to your list of trail gear, along with some skid plates and rock sliders to protect the low 2wd truck.

Cody1771

Explorer
You need as 12k winch at a minimum...

not necessarily, i have a buddy that pulls his ford F350 diesel all the time with a cosco brand 8k lol. but a 12k would be better (cosco sells a 12k modle now i think) i would look at replacing that rear end if you want to lock it... you will go through shafts like crazy on a 10b. the 14B Semi Floater will be a direct bolt in, but the ones with the 6 bolt hubs can be a little harder to find. i think they came out of the same model year heavy half?

coder

not necessarily, i have a buddy that pulls his ford F350 diesel all the time with a cosco brand 8k lol. but a 12k would be better (cosco sells a 12k modle now i think) i would look at replacing that rear end if you want to lock it... you will go through shafts like crazy on a 10b. the 14B Semi Floater will be a direct bolt in, but the ones with the 6 bolt hubs can be a little harder to find. i think they came out of the same model year heavy half?

The rule of thumb is 1 1/2 times the weight of your truck for the winch, sure you can put a lesser winch on and it may work, but it is not safe.

Balzer

Adventurer
Good tires!
Snatch strap *elastic type
Good solid recovery points
A winch recovery kit (since your getting a winch)
-leather gloves
-tree saver strap
-good shackles
-6'-10' chain (something you can wrap around a big bolder to winch)
-tow strap *non elastic **NEVER USE ELASTIC TYPE STRAP WITH YOUR WINCH!
A highlift jack can come in handy but *learn how to use it savely*
I actually prefer to have a small hydrolic bottle jack and a good scissor type lift (the stock ones from 88-98 GM fullsize trucks are nice)
-I always try to have at least 2 jacks of some sort
Skid plates
better bumpers *stock bumpers always weak
first aid/survival kit depending on your needs and adventures
Depending on where you wheel some traction mats or sand ladder type tracton devices could come in handy with a 2wd
a few small blocks of wood can be real handy like a 4x4x8 or so *use to chock wheels, stack to get up a ledge, or cross a wash ect.
shovel, axe, saw
Thats all I can think of right now
-
BY THE WAY. The highlift jack is almost useless on those round GM bumpers So if you do get one be sure to get the curved bumper adapter with it

Last edited:

Ridge Runner

Delta V
The rule of thumb is 1 1/2 times the weight of your truck for the winch, sure you can put a lesser winch on and it may work, but it is not safe.

Except a C1500 doesn't weigh 8000 pounds. He should be fine with a 10k pounder - less if he doesn't load his truck up to the GVWR.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I was at a local FD that had a Warn XD9000 on thier F350 bush truck. If it stalls they get the shovels and hilift jacks out. It really depends on your offroading. If you get stuck in a simple slippery spot on the way to a camp ground a 9000 will be fine. If you are really offroading and trying to get stuck, you're better off with the M12000.

I usually get a rear locker first. A hight lift, chain, shovel, axe/chainsaw, and sweat are usually all I need for recovery.

BPMOU

Observer
I was at a local FD that had a Warn XD9000 on thier F350 bush truck. If it stalls they get the shovels and hilift jacks out. It really depends on your offroading. If you get stuck in a simple slippery spot on the way to a camp ground a 9000 will be fine. If you are really offroading and trying to get stuck, you're better off with the M12000.

I usually get a rear locker first. A hight lift, chain, shovel, axe/chainsaw, and sweat are usually all I need for recovery.

Short hijack. I have a 02 3/4 ton suburban that tips the scales at I believe close to 8k. Based upon this a 12000 would work for my rig, correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier