Can I take my 2x13'1ga dual battery cables on an airplane?

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I need them for my dual battery system. Can I take em on the airplane with me coiled up or should I not chance it and ship them?

-Kyle

G_fresh

Adventurer
I am an electrical engineer. I have taken some pretty scary (to a lay person) looking, hand built circuits before and had no problems. YMMV.

I would not be worried about simple, large gauge wires (without the battery attached)...

This is my "mental model": TSA is more worried about the explosives than the circuitry used to trigger them... The circuits themselves are harmless...

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Not sure if this is still applicable but years ago (pre-TSA), we needed to take some items that the airlines weren't real comfortable with but shouldn't get lost in cargo. They let us check them at the ticket/check-in for airline personnel handling in the cabin (in their packaging). It might be an option.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Not sure if this is still applicable but years ago (pre-TSA), we needed to take some items that the airlines weren't real comfortable with but shouldn't get lost in cargo. They let us check them at the ticket/check-in for airline personnel handling in the cabin (in their packaging). It might be an option.

Like when you board the plane? Or before then?

-Kyle

adi

Adventurer
Nothing in reg specifically for them, but you might get an agent that says you can strangle someone with them and not allow it (but also lets you keep your belt).

If they ask, get a supervisor there to make final decision. Most of the time they will allow an item that an agent might not.

Large gauge wires are not one of the 4 things they look for in suitcases IEDs.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I called TSA, they are considered jumper cables and are OK to bring on board. So I shall be bringing them with me in my rolling duffle bag. If I get hassle I'll just get a higher up.

Thanks fellers.
-Kyle

toymaster

Explorer
Just to clarify because I can not really tell if you have flown much by this thread. They are very restrictive on what you actually carry onto the plane, meaning your one 'carry-on' and your one 'personal item'. There are also size limitations to the bags you 'carry on'. Other rules apply to the 'checked' luggage you turn over to the airline at the counter. For example, you cannot carry on a firearm but you can have them in your 'checked' luggage.

The other term mentioned in post #4 is 'gate checked'. This is where you leave bags at the gateway just prior to boarding the plan. Then you recieve them immediately when you get off the plane. This is usually done for slightly large cases on smaller airplanes, strollers. wheel chairs, etc.

I'm sure you can carry on the cables but it is often easier to just check your bags and pick them up in baggage claim after the flight.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I've flown quite a bit, but I've never had to take such an odd object on board with me. If were to decide the cables cannot go on the airplane with me I'd just as well put them in a large flat rate shipping box for 15 bucks vs 25 and send them to ihatemybike whom I will be seeing on my way back to CT. Pretty soon Aaron will change his handle to ihateyeti. lol.

Whats hilarious is the scissors I use to cut my ostomy bag appliances are razor sharp to cut through the medical rubber/adhesive of my appliances and they let me take them on board no questions.

So, TSA says I can take them onboard, worst case scenario I go back and check my duffle bag with them inside.

-Kyle

On a trip, the TSA got pissy about battery clamps I had with me. They explained that it came under the heading of "locking plyers." I tried to use logic....they're neither plyers nor do they lock...but there was no progress to be made. I parted with the $1.72 battery clamps and enjoyed yet another fantastic interaction with previously unemployable government workers with lifetime governments benefits.....my tax dollars at work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles