Harley guy going to adventure bike?

NeverEnough

Adventurer
Is there any way you can test ride a GS12 and a KTM 990?

How you react to test rides is always a function of your current riding style and ability. One way to get a better feel for a long-term buying commitment is to do a trip with an outfitter or rent one for a trip- assuming you don't have a riding buddy willing to loan you a bike for several days. I also recommend getting some lessons on how to best use big dualies. I did the Jimmy Lewis course and not only was it a blast, but it did great things for my overall riding skills. You might be surprised what you can learn to do with big GS with the proper instruction (just strip all your farkles off the bike before the class!)

i-TK9GXxq-L.jpg

691916295_tr5tu-L-2.jpg

I just think it's a good idea to spend some serious time in the saddle before buying bikes that both expensive to buy and to own. They're worth it, and the BMW and KTM are both great machines; however, they are very different riding experiences. And the BMW 800GS is also worth looking at.

camit34

Observer
I did just this...

I went from a Honda Nighthawk to a Ninja to a HD...it was too big of a move from the Ninja to the HD but I did enjoy the HD. Last summer I stumbled on a '97 BMW R1100GS with only 52k on it for a steal from a co-worker and jumped on it...very nice bike, can't believe how much fun I have on this thing! SO after 7 years of the HD, it is going buy buy this spring.

From this...
can%u00252520you%2520spot%2520what%2527s%2520missing%2520in%2520this%2520picture%253F%2520%2520m.jpg

To this...
P46851900.jpg

Hondarider

Adventurer
The BMW and the KTM are both great bikes with the best possible riding positions. I own a GSA, but I spent some time on the KTM 990 Adventure before I made the purchase. The GS has better wind protection, shaft drive, and tubeless tires that can be plugged on the side of the trail in 10 minutes. Those were really the deciding factors for me. Other than that, the KTM makes better noise, feels lighter and more nimble, and I LOVE orange. You really can't go wrong with either. I still own my Harley, but it doesn't get out of the garage much now that I have the GS.

BillTex

Adventurer
I've had 'em all; road rockets (GS1150E), Harley's (last one was Heritage Classic), dirt bikes (several RM250's), and the last bike I owned; KLR650. The KLR was probably the most fun and versatile bike of all of them. I could cruise down the highway in relative comfort with decent economy, and I never feared taking that bike off-road. I road that thing the same trails I would with the RM's.
When I get another bike, it is likely to be another KLR.

FWIW; when I was riding Harley's, I put on more miles every year than any of the road rocket guys I hung with previously. I routinely did 10k mi/year. And was never stranded. Harley riders (not pretenders) are the most dedicated riders I have ever known/hung with. Ride 'em hard...put 'em away wet.

Bill

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Great info! Looks like my Road King is gone tomorrow.... I will still have a stripped down sportster.

I am really leaning towards the KTM, mainly because of price. I have a new little one we have just been blessed with, so I need to have less Money tied up in bikes and more in family adventures.

Really sad to see the King go.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
King is gone

Well, turning the page on my riding style. Road King sold today. I still have a pretty trick little sportster.

Looked at the Triumph tiger xc today. Cool bike. Still thinking a used KTM Adventure is the choice I will make.

Butch

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Pulled the trigger!

I'm now the proud owner of a KTM 990.

Attachments

• DSC_0063.jpg
    DSC_0063.jpg
    576.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_0060.jpg
    DSC_0060.jpg
    590.9 KB · Views: 9