Light placement question

fifty

Adventurer
As I sit here and decide how to misappropriate my savings :)...in the direction of lights...I have come up with some ideas, but want to see if anyone has any reasons not to do what I am planning on doing...Wow that was a mouthful.

To start with, the truck is an F350 CCLB, lifted 6 inches on 37's. Not terribly high, but not low either. Lighting sucks btw.

So when the winch bumper gets built, it will have a forward facing 30 inch Rigid LED bar ($$$ ouch), then a set of D2 wide facing down (as in fog lamps) on the corners (facing 10 and 2 ish). They will be doing double duty, fog lamp ish, widening the immediate illuminated area.

On the sliders/steps, all the way in the back, just in front of the rear wheel wells, I was planning on having another set of D2, either the diffused or the wide pattern, facing forward and out. These would be activated as camp site set up illumination as well as when I am turning or looking for that turn in the middle of no where and its flipping dark and dont want to tip off the edge of the world lights.

These side lights is where I have the most hesitancy. Mostly due to the height off the ground. My fear is they will be too low and be an annoyance when setting up camp. They would be about 30 inches off the ground well, maybe 26. Somewhere in there.

I am not to hip on mounting stuff up high. (the reverse lights will be mounted high on the spare tire carrier) I dont want it to get knocked off, whistle at speed and generally annoy me when I look at it. In the sliders they will be fairly well protected.

Can anyone see a reason that these slider mounted lights just absolutely wont work or will be such an annoyance that I will want to really test out Rigid's durability test with an axe?

Balzer

Adventurer
Sounds like they will be in a hazardous place to me. Not just tree branches and brush but rocks, dirt, water, and mud off the tires.
That said from what I have seen/heard rigid should be up to the task. As long as they are clean enough to light up what your trying to see.

fifty

Adventurer
Yeah the only thing I am worried about is mud covering them. They will be built into the slider., Actually above it. Well that and them being too low.

scrubber3

Not really here
I say give it a go and post up the results. You could either be on to something or not. Either way it's a conversation piece.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
You can also flush mount a white LED turnsignal intended for a semi truck right into your bed. Sometimes they're bright enough to light the sides of the trail. Just need to hack a hole in the side of your bed.

Either way, let us know where it works out best for you. I'm considering adding rear bumper and rear side lights under my body.

911regular

Adventurer
after winding our way thru the hills of santa cruz last nite on roads barely wider than the truck,,,side lights are a must!

fifty

Adventurer
Yep. That was an eye opener, and has sealed the deal. I will definitely be running those side lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94